Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rebellion in Windows 7
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:09 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

I'm rather torn on getting Windows 7 Pro for XP mode, so I'm trying this method out.

I get the game started, and receive a black screen and this message:

PathName is Unknown to Video Manager
MDATA.000

Then the same thing with MDATA.001. THEN it goes to the launch screen, and I select either side, and go. Then it opens up the galaxy map, does the same message with MDATA.003, and crashes.

Seeing as I'm the only one who has posted something of the such, I must have bollocksed it up hardcore. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:42 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

IF YOU ARE GETTING SMACKW32.DLL MISSING or MDATA/BLACK SCREEN ERROR
Krow you are having the same problem I had. The problem is that the information entered into the registry does not match the way your folders are set up.

At step 1. Copy everything from the Rebellion/Supremacy folder on the CD to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion" The files copied from the disk include the following folders (and some other files):
Directx
Install
Rebellion
So the file path is now this: C:\...\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\REBELLION <---here's the registry problem.
1a. You need to copy all the files and folders from REBELLION into Star Wars Rebellion folder. (Just copy the folders as they are e.g. MDATA)
1b. Delete the folder REBELLION
1c. Be sure that the REBEXE.exe file is the one from the download not the one found in the REBELLION folder.

Krow this sounds like it should solve it because once you copy the folders and files from REBELLION one of those folders is MDATA which contains the movie files. Just make sure you keep those folders as they are, don't copy their contents out and put the files themselves in the Star Wars Rebellion folder because this causes an error too.
If you're still having problems reread Wumpum's post, he says basically the same thing here and he also gives some other good pointers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:12 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Ok, I've done everything I've found on this site (from adding missing .dll files to deleting the REBELLION Directory) everything short of using XP Mode (which apparently doesn't want to work on my Home Premium 64 Bit). This still doesn't make any sense, though, since others have had no problem on their similar OS. If anything, it seems to have made things worse. Now that the movies can play, using the missing .dll files, the game just gets stuck on the black screen (it doesn't crash) it just stays black (but my task manager says its running fine) and I can even minimize it. There are no errors, just nothing happens. I've played plenty of old games before on this machine this one shouldn't be different, I'm so confused. Anyone have a solution?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:41 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Alright. Got the game working now. Thanks! However, when I attempt to do anything in RebEd, I receive an error message: Image

It will show this with the corresponding .dat file whenever I click on a button in RebEd. Does the workaround for Rebellion just negate RebEd's existence altogether, or did I wind up botching something else?

Thanks again to all the people who actually know what they're doing. So many people would be lost without you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:14 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Upari,
I think it might be one of these:
1a. In the download link the registry files that are in the folder Reb Refresh Package are:
Rebellion x64 and Reloaded x64 ->Make sure you entered the correct one into your registry which is Rebellion x64.
1b. Make sure that the .exe file you are using is from the Rebellion 1.02 folder.
2. Make sure that you copied the folders in the REBELLION folder as they are, don't take out their contents just take the whole folder and put it in your
So for instance you should have: Local disk...LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\EDATA and so on...
3. Make sure that all the .dll files from the REBELLION folder are in Star Wars Rebellion folder.

If this doesn't work I recommend starting over, my system is the same as yours Windows 7 x64 Home Edition so when I found out that I couldn't download Windows XP Mode I stuck to it trying to figure it out. I did so much copying and pasting/shuffling folders around until I followed the instructions to the letter and checked everything I did.

Krow, as for the RebEd I have no experience with it so I can't comment, but there are previous posts in this thread about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:49 am 
<!-- Colonel -->

That file MNCHARSD.dat is the Minor Character data table in hex. Have you tried to use the newer version that does a lot of thing made by Errantone? his SWR Editor? newer better chance to work.

RebEd may not know where to find it in the registry since it was made for a OS younger than W7.

Similar how you must tell Rebellion where to find it on W7. Maybe just a guess.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:13 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Anyone have any tips on how to use RebEd for this special Win X7 solution? Whenever I try to load a card, it says I need the full version of Rebellion. I have the HOME edition, so I can't use the virtual P.C. mode.......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:29 pm 
<!-- Sergeant //-->

Hey guys, I used the solution in this thread to install Rebellion, and it kind of works, but like some of the others I can't seem to be able to load cards in RebEd. It tells me I need a complete install.

Can anyone help with this please?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 pm 
<!-- Corporal //-->

:? Couldn't find a reply to this question so I will post my issue here. Capitol ships will not render :( . Fighters and shots fired can be seen though. Did anyone have a fix for this? Or a link to where it is already answered?

Interesting side note: I noticed that with the rendering problem that although the Capitol ships will fire at anything in range they will not move from starting positions. Fighters and bombers are the only ones to move around the map and attack fighters/bombers or capitol ships. given enough bombers and lancer frigates I can prevent the AI from taking a planet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:52 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Would just like to say thanks for all the great info posted here. I'm having an issue with spaceship combat. Running Windows 7 premium, and followed all the above advice, game loads fine, get into space ship combat fine, even the combat itself is fine. After combat though I immediatly get a generic program not working error message check online for a solution etc, and the game crashes. This occurs in both multiple player and single player games. If anyone else had this problem and has a work around, would really appreciate it. Thank ya!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

@fuelinjected: It sounds like the game is not recognizing your video card correctly. First, try and update your video drivers. It may not help, but its worth a try. I have no idea why the ships would stay put, never moving... have you tried reinstalling the game? Are you using any mods?

@Garothe: Did you change any of the original ship models? The error you are describing happens when some models are used. So far as I know, nobody knows why, and its different models for different people. Restore the basic models and try again.

If you haven't changed the ship models, I would also ask you to check your video card drivers. I know, it sounds stupid and basic. But you'd be surprised how often it solves problems. I had a problem with my laptop not recognizing secondary displays; turns out the last driver had a bug in it. After a month they released a fixed version, and my lappy worked properly again.

SUGGESTION TO EVERYONE:
If you are using Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you may find it far easier to install and play Rebellion in XP Mode. If you don't like XP Mode, or you don't have one of those versions of Win7, there are several ways to install other old operating systems- either as a dual boot, or in a virtual environment. Like Oracles VM VirtualBox. I personally use VirtualBox and an old copy of Windows 2000 Pro I had lying around for all my old games. Its not always possible to make them work in Win7, and is often easier to get things going in the environment they were designed for anyway.

I must warn you, if you aren't tech savvy, using a VM like VirtualBox is probably not a good idea. Following the directions for XP Mode shouldn't prove too hard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:19 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Krow wrote:
Alright. Got the game working now. Thanks! However, when I attempt to do anything in RebEd, I receive an error message: Image

It will show this with the corresponding .dat file whenever I click on a button in RebEd. Does the workaround for Rebellion just negate RebEd's existence altogether, or did I wind up botching something else?

Thanks again to all the people who actually know what they're doing. So many people would be lost without you.

check this -> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27854&p=546096#p546096

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:34 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

So got Rebellion: Reloaded up and running on the Windows 7 but after about an hour of playing the screen will randomly freeze. I can here incoming messages and what not but cannot access anything, cannot view the main menu to save, nothing. The only way to get out of it is starting the task menu and shutting down the game. Any1 have similar issues and if so fixes?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:15 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant Colonel //-->

Recently, I've had crashes to desktop a few times, but no total freeze as you mention. No fix for me so far.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:10 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

I have the blackscreen MDATA error that I can spacebar around.. but I can't do an actual install... which prevents me from editing the game at all. Rather sucks because the AI needs some serious handicapping to make it a challenge. I'm assuming I also can't run any TC's due to this other than the 1.5 version that was posted up. But that's actually easier than the normal game cuz I think the AI gets confused over what ship is what(it's fleet must've been stuck in hyperspace for ages lugging golans around with it :p). If anyone has a fix for windows 7 that allows a full install.. I'd love to hear it.

Edit:

After following this next step i no longer can save or load games :/

Mithious wrote:
3. Right click the Rebellion_x64.reg file and click merge. (If your program files is on a different drive you'll need to edit this reg file)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next