Game not installing.

HawkeyeTAC

Question

The game simply won't install. My disc is of dubious quality nowadays so I snagged an image off the net to make sure that it wasn't just that. I'm running Windows XP 32bit and should be service pack 2.

The problem itself is that I can get to the menu screen, but when I click on install it starts up the setup program, but I don't ever actually see anything happen. So I have to end the process through the task manager. I then tried copying the REBELLION folder from the image directly to my PC, but then it tells me it can't find the disc, even when I have it mounted, so it is probably an installation problem. Anyone got any ideas for this?

1 answer to this question

The game came out before "administrator access" was a big deal. Are you running the install under an administrator profile? Also, I've noticed that mounting older games is sometimes difficult; they tend not to recognize the mount. For that matter, Rebellion is very picky about recognizing CDs; I made a duplicate of my CD to play LAN games with a friend, but Rebellion would never work off it. Same story with mounting, even with the various security features of Daemon tools (like SecuRom, etc.); I couldn't get anything to work except the original.

Make sure you're an administrator. Then try running it "as administrator" (if XP has that option, I can't remember now). If that isn't the problem, my recommendation is to get a new copy of the original disc; try Ebay. Other than those two ideas, I'm drawing a blank.

Also, these boards don't look too kindly on pirated versions. Forgive us if we're a bit skeptical, but... at least I am. I might note that in the aforementioned link, Undertaker has an interesting idea about getting your CD replaced for free. Dunno if it would work, but you could try it.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"