Installing Reb. in vista using virtual pc and windows xp sp3

tweeker

Question

Hi,

Does anyone know how to run Windows XP SP3 using Virtual PC 2007? There's a tutorial that describes how to run Windows 98, but I'm had great success running both Rebellion and RebEd and Battlefront II on Windows XP, but since my computer broke and the new one I bought came with Vista, I've been unable to play either. If anybody knows anything about running virtual pc and running XP through it, please reply.

2 answers to this question

Have you tried Vista's compatibility mode? Also, are you using Vista 32 bit or 64?

Also, go here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4216

And this thread might be useful too: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27471

And there's another link in that thread which may prove useful. Let us know if those suggestions work!

(Edit: BTW, I haven't had any trouble with BFII in Vista... What happens when you try and run it?)

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

you can install windows xp sp3 using the basic same steps to set up virtual pc.

the only notable changes that need to be made is:

there is no need to download the windows98 floppy image or use fdisk to partition the drive.

since you will be using windows xp, you will need to increase the virtual hard drive size and RAM size.

id recommend about 6000 meg for the hard drive and about 256 meg for the ram.

after you set up virtual pc, you just put in your windows xp cd and tell virtual pc to capture the physical drive with you xp disc.

boot up your machine and install windows xp as you would normally.

EDIT: Just FYI - Virtual PC offers no Direct3D or OpenGL support in virtual machines, so that means no Battlefront II. Thats why i recommended windows 98 in the first place, because it doesnt require as good of a system to run.