Installing Rebellion in Vista under Virtual PC 07

darthcircuit

Question

Hey Guys!

People have asked me lately how to play rebellion in Vista under Virtual PC, so i decided to make a guide.

First off, you will will need Virtual PC 2007, a windows 98 Boot disk image, and Windows 98. Windows 95 will work, but you will not be able to seamlessly move the mouse from windows 98 to vista.

you can get virual pc from Here

you can get the windows 98 boot image from Here

i have ommitted my links for Windows 98 and its key from this guide so you will have to provide your own.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and download either the 32 or 64 bit edition based on your install.

after downloading virtual pc, set it up using the one screen instructions. its pretty simple.

after setup completes, run it and a "new virtual machine" wizard will pop up.

click next

select "Create new virtual Machine" and push next

name it whatever you like and press next (i called mine Windows 98)

under the operating systems list, select windows 98 and press next

select "use recommended ram" and press next

Select "A new virtual Hard disk" and press next

You can choose where to save the file for your virtual machine in this step, but id just leave it to the defaults. Before you press next, however, you can choose the size for your hard drive. you can leave it how it is if you like, but since you are only going to be playing rebellion i would make it smaller. i put mine at 2048 MB

press next then finish

after that finishes downloading, start virtual pc again and "Start" your virtual machine that we created in the previous step.

for the hardest part of this install, you have to partition your fake drive.

to do this, download the file i attached to this tutorial (boot98se.img) and start your virtual machine

while booting, select "Floppy" from the top menu and select "Capture Floppy image"

when it boots, select "boot without cd-rom support" it will boot and give you a DOS command line

type in "fdisk"

press "Y" for large disk support and press enter

press "1" and enter

Press "1" and Enter (Create Primary Partition)

Press "y" and Enter (Maximize size and make bootable)

press "Esc"

Press "Action" and "Reset" on the top menu

when it boots select "boot without cd-rom support" again

when it finishes booting type "format C:/s"

this will format the drive and copy the nessesary system files to it.

Click "Floppy" on the top menu and "Release 'boot98se.img'"

Click "CD" from the menu at the top and select "capture iso image"

select the windows 98 iso file that you downloaded in the previous steps, you can insert your windows 98 disk and choose to mount the physical volume instead.

you may have to reboot the virutal machine by going to Action menu and selecting reset.

after it reboots, a menu should show up that will allow you to start Windows 98 Setup.

Start it and follow the on screen instructions...

if you need help with setting it up, go Here

after windows finishes setup, you can release the Windows 98 CD.

Click "Action" and "Install Virtual Machine Additions"

once this setup completes, select, put your rebellion cd in your computer, and Select "CD" from the top menu and select "Use Physical Drive X:" (where X: is the drive with rebellion in it.

Finally, you can install Rebellion inside of Windows 98 like normal hopefully :D

sorry for the long winded install steps, but i think i got all the steps for you. this works great for me, and i hope it works for you too.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet