Noob who doesnt know what to do.....

nubcake25

Question

I realize that there is already a thread for this(probably more than one)

I just got a new computer. Windows Vista Home Premium.

ive seen/read about virtual pc's etc.

i can find my way around a computer, but i dont really know where to start for this.

could someone give me the steps i need to take here????

where do download the software?

what OS to use?

where to install it?

how to set it up?

i really am a noob

but i just want to play REBELLION!!!!!!!!!

9 answers to this question

http://www.swrebellion.com/wiki/Rebellion:Windows_Vista

I've not tried the step you want to take myself, instead I downloaded the XP file and got Rebellion to run fairly well on Vista. The big problem though is space battles are almost unplayable.

"It is such a quiet to thing to fall. But it is far more terrible to admit it."

The most I know about using virtual PC machine is this, it is made by Microsoft. You get it from their website. You use part of your HD space to install lets say Windows 9x OS. You must have an original Windows OS disk (or find a free copy on Abandonware since they do not support it no more).

Then you boot up the computer and you use that selection.

I think someone here on this forum is running it that way with no problems.

3D space battles can be a problem I hear for some/many. Could be the newer graphics drivers to run DX10 (only a guess). Will not render the ships. But if that was the case, then it would still not work. I thought Rebellion was based upon win32 API coded the hard way. Maybe it is in changes to that.

That link above does tell you how to install the virtual pc. Try it out and tell us how it works for you. :)

[quote name=

I've not tried the step you want to take myself' date=' instead I downloaded the XP file and got Rebellion to run fairly well on Vista. The big problem though is space battles are almost unplayable.[/quote]

When you mean the "XP file" do you mean the d3drm.dll file??

the virtual pc wont work on my version of vista.(or at least thats what it keeps telling me)

so im gonna opt to try this way.

not even kidding, i really dont know what im doing. i need serious help :mrgreen:

after i download d3drm.dll and copy it to system 32, what do i dont next?????

Ya I meant the d3drm.dll file. I guess the question is Rebellion still not working for you even after you follow those steps and install the file in the system 32 directory?

Ugh, sadly my Vista computer bit the dust and I'm using an XP backup for the time being so its difficult for me to remember the steps. I'm positive I had the d3drm.dll file in my Rebellion directory but I don't know if that will solve the problem. I also don't know if having Vista 64 would change anything but the instruction's state:

Vista has no implementation of this rendering mode and if present the file should be found within the contents of /windows/system32 and windows/WoW64/system32 on x64 systems.

So perhaps place the d3drm.dll file in the " windows/WoW64/system32" folder.

Assuming you did this, my very basic suggestion would be to make sure you are not running Rebellion in any compatibility mode and make the sure the d3drm is also in the Rebellion folder. If it still doesn't work, hopefully someone more knowledgeable about computers than me can help you out.

Maybe I think sometimes the registry must have an entry to tell the OS that file d3drm.dll is located inside the system 32 folder.

I read that from the above link. Try adding the registry entry into your registry.

They give the instructions for XP only. I guess it is something similiar for Vista 64.

Maybe I think sometimes the registry must have an entry to tell the OS that file d3drm.dll is located inside the system 32 folder.

......... Try adding the registry entry into your registry.

registry??

(i put "Noob who doesnt know..." for a reason :oops: )

I think to get it working in the way you are thinking, you need the 64 bit installer that Budious was hosting about a year ago... im not sure if it works with vista 64, and i think the link to download it no longer works....

honestly the easiest way to do it is to just download virtual pc, and setup windows 98 or something. it took me a grand total of about 30 minutes to get it running, and you dont have to configure drivers or anything... after it is set up, the space battles work fine and i havent had any real issues with it at all. im sure that since your computer already has vista it will run fine for you too... if you need any help getting it set up let me know and ill see if i can help you out...