Rebellion freezes together with CPU

Faello

Question

I'm fan of this game since years and I've never had such problems until now.

When I'm playing Rebellion, after 30mins to an hour, game freezes together with the whole CPU - it just stucks and I can't do anything - only option after that is a hard reset of the CPU and (ofc) I lose all the days I've been playing too :cry: Earlier I thought it was a fault of my hard drive which seemed to be acting erratically, but I bought a new one, installed whole system from the scratch on it and it still happens :(

It happens only in this game.

Anybody had similar problem ?

I've Windows XP, Pentium IV 2,4 GHZ with 512 mb RAM, integrated video card - altough I'm not sure if my cpu hardware has anything to do with it. I played Rebellion couple times on it before and it worked like the swiss watch.

I'd really appreciate any help.

With regards, Faello

4 answers to this question

Hmm... never heard of this one before. Since nobody else has posted yet, and I don't know what it is, perhaps more information would be useful... are all your drivers up to date? Do you have any programs running in the background? Is it always around 30 minutes, or does it have any connections to anything else (like entering/leaving space combat, or something else)?

Does it happen in multiplayer as well as single player? When you load up the game, do you start it in some sort of compatibility mode? I'm assuming this is a desktop, so I'll rule out battery issues... What if you save your game roughly 25 minutes in, then exit to main menu, and reload... does it crash in a few minutes, or do you get another 30 minutes before it crashes? Does it crash if you just leave it at the main menu for 30 minutes?

If Rebellion worked just fine before, then what has changed since you played it then? You said your hardware (minus the hard drive) has stayed the same. Did you change operating systems? Updated DirectX? Changed drivers? Do you have a color-altering program (one that modifies how the colors are displayed on your monitor, for instance brighter or darker) running in the background? Are you using any mods to Rebellion? Is the CD damaged? Do you have an anti-virus program running now? Did you get a wireless mouse or keyboard?

I know that's a lot of questions. But I don't know what it could be, so I'm just trying to think of anything that might help narrow the possibilities. Give us some more info and we'll see what we can think up.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

- I have different video card (had old GeForce 4 MMX 440, changed it to also old, but slightly "better" GeForce FX5200 - my old MMX went to the other computer I'm using now to play Rebellion - it's my father's cpu and I don't have any such problems like here (there are "normal" crashes from time to time, but nothing that stops me from progressing further quickly - here, rebellion just stop working together with whole cpu - I need to use hard reset to get it working again)

- I got an optic mouse instead of normal (I just like normal mouses, I'm not sure if it may be the source of problem but I think time of getting the new mouse=time of getting the problems with rebellion)

Anti Virus was exacly the same before, no color altering programs, tried compatibility mode off and on, never needed it to play Rebellion tough.

I think time of crash is irrelevant - sometimes it happens sooner or later - somethings happens and I'm not sure what.

I'll check it out with old mouse and I'll let you know if it stopped crashing.

Is the optical mouse wireless? If not, I'd be surprised if it's the cause.

Just to make sure I got it right; your father's computer has the MMX, and yours has the FX. And the one with FX is the one having problems. Right? Okay, did you start having problems when you swapped out the video card? Or did you have the same problems in that computer when it still had the MMX?

Assuming that you started having issues after changing the graphics card, then that's the most likely source. Double check your driver for it, make sure it's as up to date as possible. If it is, try rolling back to an earlier version. Many of the older games (like Rebellion) didn't do a very good job of working with various graphic cards.

Alternatively, you can open up DXDiag and disable some DirectX video options. I can't remember how many of these were around when Rebellion was made, and some of them may not 'play nice' with the game. There may even be a way to disable your video card's hardware acceleration, or at least get Rebellion to use software rendering instead of hardware... that may solve the problem as well. I'll investigate that possibility.

Try the drivers first, and if that doesn't work try the other ideas. If you're not sure how to do any of this stuff, drop a line and I can help.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

I'm fan of this game since years and I've never had such problems until now.

When I'm playing Rebellion, after 30mins to an hour, game freezes together with the whole CPU - it just stucks and I can't do anything - only option after that is a hard reset of the CPU and (ofc) I lose all the days I've been playing too :cry: Earlier I thought it was a fault of my hard drive which seemed to be acting erratically, but I bought a new one, installed whole system from the scratch on it and it still happens :(

It happens only in this game.

Anybody had similar problem ?

With regards, Faello

In my comp Rebellion used to use 100% of CPU speed ;)

So it's either play SWR or exit game and do something else.

I think it's because how it's coded. I also have Win XP. AFAIR this was not a problem in Win 98.