Rebellion Vista x64

Aenir

Question

• SWR Staff - Executive
Try solutions for both and see what works? :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

This worked for me:

Download the "Rebellion Refreshed and Reloaded Ultimate Package (x86/x64)" here, and the Reloaded TC.

Unzip the package (it has all the "extra" files you'll need), and use it to complete the instructions below:

x64 Users

- Open the Star Wars Rebellion cd in explorer.

- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Right-Click on the file Rebellion_x64.reg and select the merge option.

- Download the TC beta and follow the directions included in README.

- Rename C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded.

- Move C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\star Wars Reloaded.

- Right-Click on the file Reloaded_x64.reg and select the merge option.

- Delete REBEXE.EXE from C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- Copy RELOADED.EXE to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- Manually create a new desktop shortcut pointing to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded\RELOADED.EXE

- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Copy REBEXE.EXE to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion, Click Yes to replace.

- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Create a Rebellion desktop shortcut to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\REBEXE.EXE

- Take a deep breathe, make a choice, click either Rebellion or Reloaded shortcut and relax :)

The Reloaded game didn't work for me, but it was likely my mistake with RebEd or something - I couldn't get it installed right. I ended up just deleting the "Reloaded" folder, and vanilla Rebellion works just fine! Also, make sure you add a folder called "Savegame" in your Rebellion folder - that'll let you save your games.

Je Suis L'Homme!

This worked for me:

Download the "Rebellion Refreshed and Reloaded Ultimate Package (x86/x64)" here, and the Reloaded TC.

Unzip the package (it has all the "extra" files you'll need), and use it to complete the instructions below:

x64 Users

- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Right-Click on the file Rebellion_x64.reg and select the merge option.

- Download the TC beta and follow the directions included in README.

- Rename C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded.

- Move C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\star Wars Reloaded.

- Right-Click on the file Reloaded_x64.reg and select the merge option.

- Delete REBEXE.EXE from C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- Copy RELOADED.EXE to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- Manually create a new desktop shortcut pointing to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded\RELOADED.EXE

- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Copy REBEXE.EXE to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion, Click Yes to replace.

- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Create a Rebellion desktop shortcut to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\REBEXE.EXE

- Take a deep breathe, make a choice, click either Rebellion or Reloaded shortcut and relax :)

The Reloaded game didn't work for me, but it was likely my mistake with RebEd or something - I couldn't get it installed right. I ended up just deleting the "Reloaded" folder, and vanilla Rebellion works just fine! Also, make sure you add a folder called "Savegame" in your Rebellion folder - that'll let you save your games.

Wow, I'm glad you could follow that. I know that I wrote it at some point but I'm blowing my own mind here reading it again.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

I'm having some difficulty. I'm pretty sure i followed all your steps correctly, but when I run either the rebexe.exe or the Reloaded.exe it immediately crashes and issues an error stating,

Pathname unknown to Video Manager

C:\Program Files(x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\\MDATA\MDATA 000

I hit okay to the error and a similar error appears again

C:\Program Files(x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\\MDATA\MDATA 001

After reaching MDATA 003, the opening menu appears (the one where you can choose difficulty, side, and such).

I try to start a new game, but it crashes to the desktop.

Ok, I actually love you guys, and I never thought I'd say that on a Star Wars forum. Supremacy (I'm a Brit) is an amazing game, but after a tragic hour of trying to get it to work on my Vista 64 PC and failing abysmally, I nearly gave up all hope. And now this! You are all wonderful, wonderful people, especially budious (and not just because of his cool name).

I do have one question though. As you've already noticed, I call it Supremacy, not Rebellion. My disk is labelled Supremacy, the folder with all the game data is D:/Supremacy, not Rebellion. Should I still install everything to folders named Rebellion, install registries called Rebellion etc, or should I change "Rebellion" to "Supremacy" every time it appears?

Many thanks,

~~Capreolus

I'm having some difficulty. I'm pretty sure i followed all your steps correctly, but when I run either the rebexe.exe or the Reloaded.exe it immediately crashes and issues an error stating,

C:\Program Files(x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\\MDATA\MDATA 000

I hit okay to the error and a similar error appears again

C:\Program Files(x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\\MDATA\MDATA 001

After reaching MDATA 003, the opening menu appears (the one where you can choose difficulty, side, and such).

I try to start a new game, but it crashes to the desktop.

those movies are in an old codec Smacker. If you re-encode them to something newer so your computer can understand them to play.

What I did to get them to work in a remake. Yours is crashing right before the ship takes off from the cockpit select screen to the planet or ship HQ to start playing. That is the last cutscene to get into the game.

Well depending on the error, you need either d3drm.dll or smackw32.dll, the files on the cd should suffice so long as they are in the applications root folder (ie. C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion), if that doesn't work try also putting a copy in the system32 folder on x86 (32-bit) versions of windows or in the syswow64 folder on x64 (64-bit) windows.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

Both are in the folder and the error messages still appear. I have the same issues that HenryI-919 experienced.

It seems that it's a problem with some linkage to the movie files, Slocket seems to think it's the encoding on the files not being up to date for a 64-bit OS.

Any thoughts?

OK. I posted a suggested fix for another person who had the problem trying to get past the MDATA.00* movie cutscenes.

It maybe part of the copy protection. I do know for him using the **** off the net does not play those movie cutscenes so it will work without the CD. It should fix the problem but you will have no cutscenes.

You can try placing smackw32.dll in the C:\Windows\system32 (x86 32-bit) folder and running the command regsvr32 C:\Windows\system32\smackw32.dll and see if that makes a difference.

The same instruction for x64 64-bit is a slight different. C:\Windows\sysWOW64\regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\sysWOW64\smackw32.dll after copying smackw32.dll to the C:\Windows\sysWOW64\ directory. (Note do not call regsvr32 directly as it will bring up the 64-bit process for handling 64-bit dll's, use the full path as noted in italics. - I didn't actually have a x64 Windows system handy to try this so I don't guarantee it to be right, it was my best guess. :)

Due to the convoluted nature of the x64 environment, the C:\Windows\system32\ path holds the 64-bit system resources on x64 systems for those confused as to why 32-bit applications are going in a folder with "64" in the path name. Microsoft... :roll:

Hi - sorry to bring all this back up, but I'm having the same problem as HarryI-919 et al with the MDATA.00*, with a slight twist - if i ok the two errors I get (000 and 001) then the game starts, works as per usual, with the unfortunate side effect of having no cutscenes and no music. It's not a huge problem (I can still play the game) but it would be nice to get working fully...

I'm using VISTA 64 bit and own the UK CD copy (i.e. called Supremacy, but haven't altered any filenames in my install) - and have followed the above instructions, I've even copied the MDATA folder into the rebellion root directory - no joy. If i follow budious' advice and try the "C:\Windows\sysWOW64\regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\sysWOW64\smackw32.dll after copying smackw32.dll to the C:\Windows\sysWOW64\ directory" (Which I'm assuming i use windows 'run' prompt to activate, then I get the following message

The module "C:\Windows\sysWOW64\smackw32.dll" was loaded but the entry point DllRegisterServer was not found

Make sure that "C:\Windows\sysWOW64\smackw32.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again.

Am I doing something stupid? Also - if these cutscene files need re encoding, would someone be able to point me to a tutorial that shows me how to do this please?

Thanks for any help that can be offered - I'm glad there are people keeping this excellent game alive!

I think the common source of what is going wrong in so many of the Vista/7 replies is that people are messing up the manual copy.

CD Root Folder (D:\REBELLION)

Destination Root Folder (C:\...\Star Wars Rebellion)

Example:

copy D:\REBELLION\rebexe.exe to C:\...\Star Wars Rebellion\rebexe.exe

copy D:\REBELLION\MDATA to C:\...\Star Wars Rebellion\MDATA

If you have an additional REBELLION folder in your destination path then you did not follow the given directions, please read carefully.

(C:\...\Star Wars Rebellion\REBELLION\smack32.dll is incorrect; the proper path is C:\...\Star Wars Rebellion\smack32.dll)

Trying to get Rebellion to work on vista, did everything in the instructions, dowloaded the zip, etc. Had the Mdata errors come up but fixed those so the cinematics play.....but after that, nothing. My screen is black, there is no music, and the only way I can tell I'm not frozen is I can still move my mouse around (which has the appropriate looking Rebellion clicker) and can alt+tab out of the game.

What am I missing to actually get the game playing?

I have the video manager problem i was trying to do a lot of thing regs etc etc. i just read carefully to "budious" and my game run smoothly indeed yo dont need to have a REBELLION folder on C:\...\Star Wars Rebellion thanks a lot budious

OKAY well I have a windows 7 home premium. Star Wars Rebellion is like one of the greatest games ever made. I have tried installing it in the past, but since I only get 64bit computers now, that just doesnt work. You can't even go through the installation process. I have followed everything I see here, however nothing works, the furthest I get is the game starting with errors, such as the MDAT files. Also I am somewhat confused, you have put up directories showing the REBEXE should be in lucasarts/star wars rebellion/ YET on the disc the file is located in the Rebellion folder, and not as a file in the main directory

Disc has:

DirectX

Install

Rebellion

(then some single files)

So should the inside of the Star Wars Rebellion folder be the same? Or are the files inside the Rebellion folder to be mixed in with the all the other files in the main directory?

I need a screenshot of what this is supposed to look like cause I AM SO CONFUSED lol

How to get Star Wars: Rebellion working in six easy steps:

This is the solution that worked for me. I have been trying for years to get this game working, and I finally got it with this method.

Step 1: Go to the following site: http://digiex.net/downloads/download-center-2-0/applications/1022-digiex-exclusive-premade-windows-98-virtual-machine-use-older-games.html

Step 2: Download Virtual PC 2007 (If you don't already have it - link provided at the above site)

Step 3: Download this guy's pre-made Windows 98 VPC

Step 4: Run Windows 98 through Virtual PC

Step 5: Insert Rebellion CD and install.

Step 6: Rejoice.

A few notes:

When I first played, I could not watch any of the videos, and capital ships would not display properly in tactical battles. Some of the graphics in general were a bit messy, as well. However, after I saved the game and reloaded it, everything has been working perfectly. I do not know if the save/reload is what actually fixed the graphical issues - I did mess around with display settings and resolutions, but try and it and see what happens!

Hope this helps anyone still searching!

Windows Vista?/Windows 7 x64

Try these steps:

Step one: install Rebellion, as usual, with full install.

Step two: download this .exe (courtesy of budious), backup rebexe and replace-it with that one: http://www.mediafire.com/?f79i1flo8p9otm3

Step three: play the game.

Step four: report if that worked for you!

Trying to get Rebellion to work on vista, did everything in the instructions, dowloaded the zip, etc. Had the Mdata errors come up but fixed those so the cinematics play.....but after that, nothing. My screen is black, there is no music, and the only way I can tell I'm not frozen is I can still move my mouse around (which has the appropriate looking Rebellion clicker) and can alt+tab out of the game.

What am I missing to actually get the game playing?

I got it working....just copy all the files from the rebellion folder (the one from the cd) into the created rebellion directory (so one directory up) and that is all. make sure all the files are in the same folder as where you run the rebexe from.

Thx for all the info here people!!!!

I followed the instructions listed above by Scalfaro and it works. Unfortunately the graphics are a bit messy and I can't see the capital ships during tactical combat, so if anyone figures out how to fix that, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks