SWR Installation problems...

TulakHord

Question

Hello All,

I have had trouble installing SWR on my newish machine. My rig: XP Home SP3, on a E6550, with a Radeon 3870, mobo is a p35, DirectX 9.0c

Here is my issue: When I insert the SWR CD the auto run setup comes up, when I select install the CD-ROM spins for a moment, but nothing happens. When I check the Task Manager it shows setup.exe and WOWexec.exe (for 16-bit programs) running, but there is no memory usage assigned to either of them and they are slightly indented compared to the other processes. I have to manually shut them down In Task Manager after a while.

I have installed and run SWR on another machine running XP Home SP3, on a T2400, with a x1600 mobile card. No problems, even with the same CD and image, and without having to run compatibility mode, with DirectX 9.0c

I have tried running setup from the disk directly; setting autorun, reb.exe, etc to all available compatibility modes and resolutions; assigning separate threads to 16-bit processes; using different display resolutions; running windows in safe mode; mounting the image in Deamon tools.

Is it a hardware issue - Core 2 16-bit problem? Should I disable my Realtek audio (it's crap anyway)? Is it the 3870 (I don't have another VC handy to test)?

Is it a lost cause? I would like some feedback before I start roll back my VC drivers, I can only go so far back with those 'cause of the card.

Perplexed,

TH

5 answers to this question

Have you checked your CD to see if it's "clean"? Maybe it has some bad scratches that are preventing the CD drive from reading it properly.

Try clicking on "My Computer"; right click on your CD and select "OPEN" from the menu (this will open your CD like a sub-directory on a hard drive); double click SETUP and go from there.

Good Luck!

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Well that was quick, lol,

Yes, I believe it's clean, I used the same disk to install and play on another machine with XP Home SP3. Installed and ran with out a hitch.

I did try running setup from the disk, alas, nothing. SETUP.Exe runs then terminates in Task Manager, and I have to manually terminate wowexec.exe

Still perplexed,

TH

I upgraded my video card to a HD 3650 and it works. Sometimes I think maybe the sound card. The installer wants to run a opening window with sound before it installs. If there is a way to bypass that installer screen.

Can you take the full install folder from your other computer and just copy the whole thing onto your problem computer. Then update the registry so the computer can find it and your optical drive.

• SWR Staff - Executive
You're not one of the people still using XP 64-bit are you? Could be a problem as same as the Vista 64-bit folks

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I have an identical problem. I thought it might be the age of my CD, so I nabbed a torrent, but to no avail.

xp sp3, 2.0 ghz, 1gig ram, decent video card, soundblaster live audigy card.

=(

No idea wtf to do.