Running on Linux under wine

appleshampooid

Question

Hey folks,

Just started playing Rebellion again after probably 4 years, except I'm all Linux now and am running it under wine (windows API/emulation layer). I saw a message way back about wine but thought I'd start a newer one, since I'm not having the same problem (player statuses show up fine).

The problem is that tactical battles don't work at all (I've played my first few games simulating them, which blows since the AI controlling MY fleet sucks just as bad as the computer's :-) ). I've followed some of the suggestions (got a native d3drm.dll) and it seems to have changed the bugs around, but I still can't get it to work. The standard failure mode is: the battle monitor comes up and all the controls are there, but I can't see any of the ships or the starfield. I can issue orders to my ships just fine. But as soon as I click unpause to start the battle, or I try to click ANYWHERE in the starfield, the game crashes. There are a bunch of errors at the console, and I'm not sure which ones are relevant, but I've pasted the complete terminal output here.

I'm hoping there are some wine gurus hanging around here!

Anyway...hoping to play some multiplayer, but would like to get tactical mode working. I'm guessing most multiplayer games actually play out the battles? Seems lame to simulate with the AI.

3 answers to this question

Hi,

it's not always possible to make wine do exactly what you want it to do (in this case run rebellion flawlessly). If it doesn't work for you, I'd recommend trying VirtualBox or other emulator. You might want to check out this wiki page.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I filed this bug with the Wine devs, in case it's actually a bug or missing library call in Wine, maybe they'll be able to fix it:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16149

I hadn't thought about an emulator, mostly because I'm not sure if I even have an XP installation disc sitting around here...I think I do, I'll have to go digging. Windows free since 2005!