Natural disaster nuisance..

Decaying

Question

Am I the only one who gets pissed off from those natural disasters that seem to always hit? I was playing today and I only got to day 300 and I got two of them. Is there any way I can disable that annoying feature?

20 answers to this question

It's one of those annoying features in the game that you just have to live with. It is extremely irritating at times and unfortunately the developers did not have the foresight to make it optional. A very rough guide to natural disasters is the more planets you own, the greater the chance of being 'hit'.

The way to look at it though is to take a long term view of the game and say to yourself 'hey it's happened to me and it sucks, but it WILL happen to the other guy at some stage'

You were unlucky though to be struck twice in 300 days :?

Something we have to live with......like football I suppose :D

You have failed me for the last time.

Oh, I HATE natural disasters!!!

They're the worst thing next to an massive bombardment or Death Star when they hit a massive production planet. I use to have a main planet in the Outer Rim with 10+ shipyards, until 1 out of 3 games a natural disaster would hit the planet and I'd loose it all :cry:

The worst thing about them, is you can't defend against them.

Persoanlly I think they're a good idea, adding an aspect of realism to the game - though they shouldn't do so much damage to the planet, they take out too many facilities and power units.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

They basically kill the planet for me since I always put two shield generators on each planet. Natural disasters leave at most three energy units.. so you have to choose between defence (which wastes your maintenance points) or production without defence (which is an invitation for an easy takeover) or just withdrawing from the system, but the problem is that the enemy usually takes it over then and uses it as a staging ground for a massive attack against your nearby planets. Death Stars are one thing, but natural disasters are the game's natural cruelties.

Yeah I know but use your noodle, this situation can be turned to your advantage with very little effort ( we are talking AI here ).

So a natural disaster has trashed the planet. Life sucks sometimes. The planet for all intents and purposes is useless, but if you've followed Standard Imperial procedure, then the planets loyalty should be all green ( you have been using your diplomats I hope to full effect.??)

Strip out any unwanted mines/resources , ensure the planet has at least one shield generator and one planetary defence system ( two of each is ideal, and leave a garrison of between 4-6 stormtroopers. Meanwhile stock up on all adjacent planets with espionage droids, Imperial Commandos and garrisons. ( you should have 3/4 Imp Commandos on each planet anyway )

Now await the invasion. The Rebels will take substantial losses but what you want is for them to take the planet. Once they have it, continually sabotage their fleet till it goes away and then the masterstroke........

Sabotage all the units until the planet goes into uprising, the people want the Empire back of course as the Empire brings Order and Stability to the Galaxy :twisted:

Now the Rebels have a real headache on their hands. Do they keep continually reinforcing the planet, to have troops constantly destroyed in a Star Wars version of Stalingrad, or do they withdraw, giving you back the planet and a substantial loyalty boost to all the planets you own in the Sector???? There are many options open to you at this point, but remember you are in charge of the battle now, all the advantage lays with you.

Enjoy as you crush their increasing desperate efforts to find a way out of a situation they have brought upon themselves..........

I've been waiting for you Obi Wan.............

( I really must stop posting all my advanced tactics on here, one Multiplayer game will come along that I will live to regret giving away all my Imperial tactics :? )

Ah, natural disasters...I'm still trying to figure out how an earthquake managed to damage my orbital shipyard. :lol::roll:

-Thumper

TIE pilots shake at the sound of my name! ...Hey, wait! You're not supposed to be shaking with laughter!

Which way did they go? How many of them were there? How fast were they going? I must find them! I am their LEADER!

I gotta agree, natural disasters would've made more sense if they only destroyed the buildings, not the energy slots.

I wholeheartedly agree. This is probably the only thing I 'dislike' about the whole game. :evil:

I tried a few things and I found a way to avoid natural disasters in single player at least, it's simple when a natural disaster happens just load from your closest save and avoid the actions you took the last time (fleet moved to certain planet, personnel missions, construction) you don't have to halt all activity just keep your forces busy doing something else (send the fleet to a nearby planet, send personnel on another kind of mission, do construction on another planet) This has worked for me 90% of the time, my last game which lasted far too long (3900 days) I avoided five natural disasters with this method.

yup, you found it, save the day before its going to happen, do an espionage mission or two with some bothan spies, with a little luck, natural disaster bypassed, i found that a lont time ago, works nicely. i feel like its cheating, but when you've worked so hard and have a fantastic HQ or a super shipyard base, it really does suck.

Hey all,

I'm not saying it wont happen, because it did last night to me. And it took my biggest construction facility!

But I always leave 1 energy on all my planets and it seems to help tremendously. Now maybe to the game it dont make a difference, but I must say that I practice that, and unless it's getting late in the game I'm not bothered by natural diasters so much.

But here's the problem, you have to manage everything, cause if you let the AI manage building facilities then he loads planets to the max. I personally beleive thats a recipe for disaster.... no pun intended! Ha!

A friend mentioned that to me and I gotta say I still think theres a difference.

jn

My experience is the same. a fully developed planet with all energy being used, has a high chance for natural disasters. OF course the game does give you random resource pluses but not as common.

In Star Wars Rebellion Remake -it is an option of course. :mrgreen: Coming this Summer if all goes well.

The more planets you have, the better you can cope with disasters. You may be able to avoid them to some extent by not loading up your planets, but if you have a few dozen systems, the extra one energy you use in filling them up means when you loose stuff to a disaster, you are still ahead of where you would have been had you wasted the one energy on every planet.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Xan,

Yeah, I'd certainly agree w/ that, especially playing against someone else as opposed to the AI. But Ive only ever played the AI, So I just go and build up more planets, to compensate. I go and find the biggest energy, the AI not being so aggressive allows me to get away w/ that. Only once did I play w/ a bud, and the Bastage just kept bombarding my planets to the stone age. "Doesnt play well w/ others" Ha!

Hey all,

I'm not saying it wont happen, because it did last night to me. And it took my biggest construction facility!

But I always leave 1 energy on all my planets and it seems to help tremendously. Now maybe to the game it dont make a difference, but I must say that I practice that, and unless it's getting late in the game I'm not bothered by natural diasters so much.

But here's the problem, you have to manage everything, cause if you let the AI manage building facilities then he loads planets to the max. I personally beleive thats a recipe for disaster.... no pun intended! Ha!

A friend mentioned that to me and I gotta say I still think theres a difference.

jn

Always keep one energy unused AND always keep one Mine slot unused.

That avoids all or nearly all disasters (i cant say for sure, but i dont ever get any disasters at least since i made this a standard).

Always leaving a slot open for both also means you CAN get the "energy/resources found" event on all planets, even if the probability is low (not sure(understatement of the year) how the probability is calculated but more open slots but still 1+ used ones seem to give the highest chance(current amount of slots also makes a difference though, its very rare to get more slots if a planet already have above 12-14 or so, though it can still happen).

The more planets you have, the better you can cope with disasters. You may be able to avoid them to some extent by not loading up your planets, but if you have a few dozen systems, the extra one energy you use in filling them up means when you loose stuff to a disaster, you are still ahead of where you would have been had you wasted the one energy on every planet.

Until you also take into account that you will usually get the "energy/resources found" event several times instead during a game.

You also avoid the risk of loosing primary production nodes that with standard game settings will take a looong time to replace unless you´re lucky.

If most of your planets have low energy, then not taking the precaution makes sense on THOSE planets, but any planet with lots of energy, leaving one unused is totally worth it.

True, I didn't take into account the "more resources found" events. I'm cursed; I never get those. In the decade I've played Rebellion, I think I've had that happen to me twice. No joke. I suspect its partially because I try and get the planets with lots of energy already, and partially because the core worlds have a lower chance of it happening (which is where I focus most of my attention), and partially because I never leave empty space on planets.

To be honest though, I've only had the disaster happen a dozen times or so in the same time period. Do the odds increase the longer a game becomes? Because My games tend to last between 1000-2000 days, though I believe other players' last longer.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

True, I didn't take into account the "more resources found" events. I'm cursed; I never get those. In the decade I've played Rebellion, I think I've had that happen to me twice. No joke. I suspect its partially because I try and get the planets with lots of energy already, and partially because the core worlds have a lower chance of it happening (which is where I focus most of my attention), and partially because I never leave empty space on planets.

To be honest though, I've only had the disaster happen a dozen times or so in the same time period. Do the odds increase the longer a game becomes? Because My games tend to last between 1000-2000 days, though I believe other players' last longer.

If you leave no energy/resources free on a planet, the chance of getting "more resources found" is ridiculously low. I think it´s happened once ever for me(and i´m not sure about that one). So no curse, just your own doing. :wink:

Always leaving a free slot for both on the majority of planets, then it usually happens a few or several times each game depending on number of planets controlled and length of game.

Not sure how many times it´s happened at most during a game but probably more than 10.

DOES the core worlds really have a lower chance of it happening? I cant say i ever noticed a difference.

I know for sure that i´ve gotten the "more resources found" at least twice on the same planet in the same game, and that it ended up with over 20 slots. So even with lots of energy already on a planet you can still get more.

So, overall anyway, spreading your buildings out is very much preferable.

I know for sure that i´ve gotten the "more resources found" at least twice on the same planet in the same game, and that it ended up with over 20 slots. So even with lots of energy already on a planet you can still get more.

How did you get 20? You must have used RedEd on Coruscant or Yavin, and got "more resources found" on them, because the default max is 14. Getting 6 "more resources found" is astronomically against the odds, much less ALL on the SAME system. Unless you have a saved game editor?

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?