will we ever be able to submit our own avatars?

Markaine

Well, will we? That would be cool for roleplaying if you don't have a site. But the dangers of viruses is probably too great right? Just a thought.
We got Deathstars, We got Deathstars....And you know that we got it, Deathstars!

You would have to ask one of the staff (No, I resigned last year ;) I'm not staff) about that, but I don't see how that could be a problem. It would have about the same virus risk as submitting cards ;)
I'm the commander of vast armies and the sole hope for UCOJ. I'm also 13 years old. -Mara Diggins

You can change avatars, now. You have to link to a file in your own website, though. It's in your "Profile" options.

I'll go back to Tarkin after I'm not a Colonel...it's just that Colonel Klink was too good to resist! :lol:

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Well thats my problem, no website... I have my own that I wish to use. Well I can't complain, after holding all you guys up in the game. Sorry guys... :oops:
We got Deathstars, We got Deathstars....And you know that we got it, Deathstars!

Send your pic to me, and I'll put it on my website. Then you can link to it there...

blight@smurfit.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

I might take you up on that offer some time if that's ok?

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• 5 months later...
Guest Scathane
We'll, I don't think it's illegal to link to a site that's not yours as such... But to be on the safe side, you should mention the source that you got the picture from... Some brands even ask payment for use of their texts and graphics... With regard to your avatar, I wouldn't worry too much though...

We'll, I don't think it's illegal to link to a site that's not yours as such... But to be on the safe side, you should mention the source that you got the picture from... Some brands even ask payment for use of their texts and graphics... With regard to your avatar, I wouldn't worry too much though...
Fast and correct assumption, Scath. I congratulate you (was quite obvious, wasn't it?). I'm not too worried, just don't want to get sued. :wink:

By the way, for anyone who hasn't got a website for an avatar, you can open a free photo account at http://www.villagephotos.com

Which is sound advise dude, 'leaching' avatars (not hosting your own) can cause serious problems to websites. So it's best to host any image you fancy on your own web-space!

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Is it just me, or does it seem like when you save a picture form off the Internet and then upload it on your own website, the quality (especially for JPEGs) goes down? I had a big situation with trying to get some of my Gimpy pictures to look right. Is this normal? I think I figured it out (as far as villagephotos goes, at least) on how to get the quality to stay good, but I'm still curious. Simply put: do JPEGs lower picture quality?

An alternative to this one is creating an MSN passport and newsgroup, also completely free. We went through this a while ago and I can't remember where the original post is, but check out:

(Jahled clickerty-pastes)

Hi Jahled,

It's very cool to hear from you so quickly. To be honest, running a site such as PixelMasher is a constant fight against things like image leeching. I know that 99.9% of the time it's unintentional and without knowledge that it's doing my site harm, so no foul on your part.

The good news is that you don't need to host an entire site - just the pictures you want to reference. If you're interested in hosting the picture (or any future pictures) yourself you can use one of many free hosts on the web. One of the biggest and maybe reliable is MSNs free hosting service. I've included a link below to give you instructions on how to open, upload and use pictures to the account.

http://groups.msn.com/spoonywoony/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=1&ID_Message=6

Let me know if you have any problems.

Any advertising/testemonials/referals to pixelmasher would be greatly appreciated :-)

Regards,

Dave.

BTW: SOCL, check out Dave's site at http://www.pixelmasher.com it includes the legendry Star Wars Space Hopper Gifs, the bouncing guy to your left is from.

I had a look at the village people thing, and reckon the msn option is a lot easier. :idea:

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Well, I figured out how to fix the problem on VillagePhotos and already have an account working there, so no need to worry any more. The question though is: do JPEGs lower image quality?

By the way, does anyone know where I can find any System Of A Down avatars? :)

Guest Scathane
Is it just me, or does it seem like when you save a picture form off the Internet and then upload it on your own website, the quality (especially for JPEGs) goes down? I had a big situation with trying to get some of my Gimpy pictures to look right. Is this normal? I think I figured it out (as far as villagephotos goes, at least) on how to get the quality to stay good, but I'm still curious. Simply put: do JPEGs lower picture quality?
As you probably know, there are a lot of picture formats...

If you want to save a picture and retain all of it's information, then save it as an eps: it will be rather large, but you got the original picture.

Because of this format being so large, there are several compression formats, such as jpeg and gif. For instance, a jpeg doesn't save every pixel, instead, it saves a fraction of each (much larger) colored fact in your picture and it saves a calculation instruction for all pixels that should be that color. In other words, it recalculates a lot of the values upon reopening. So, yes, saving to jpeg leads to loss of quality. A gif also has lower quality but it's ideal for the web.

beside this, you should realize that the max resolution the web provides you with is 72 dpi.

As you probably know, there are a lot of picture formats...

If you want to save a picture and retain all of it's information, then save it as an eps: it will be rather large, but you got the original picture.

Because of this format being so large, there are several compression formats, such as jpeg and gif. For instance, a jpeg doesn't save every pixel, instead, it saves a fraction of each (much larger) colored fact in your picture and it saves a calculation instruction for all pixels that should be that color. In other words, it recalculates a lot of the values upon reopening. So, yes, saving to jpeg leads to loss of quality. A gif also has lower quality but it's ideal for the web.

beside this, you should realize that the max resolution the web provides you with is 72 dpi.

Thank you, Scath, this was exactly what I was looking for as an answer. I had a feeling JPEGs did so, but now I know why. Thanks!

You mentioned that gifs are ideal for the web? Why is this so?

Guest Scathane

You mentioned that gifs are ideal for the web? Why is this so?
I'll ask...
So you don't know?! 8O GASP!
Put a clip on it SOCL...

Guest Scathane
Um . . . did you find out?
GIF stands for graphics interchange format. It's a highly compressed graphics format that lets you download and view graphics very quickly. For example, the graphic I just created takes about 95K in Windows bitmap format, but will take about only 5K once it's been converted into a GIF file.

GIF offers two other advantages. The first is interlacing. Interlaced images don't need to be completely downloaded before you begin to see them. Instead, they start by showing a very low-resolution sample of the image, and then gradually the image becomes sharper as more of it is downloaded. All browsers support the GIF format. As a rule of thumb, GIF is best for images with few colors. For images with more colors, such as photographs, JPEG offers higher compression and smaller file sizes.

GIF's second advantage is the ability to have a transparent background. This means that the background color or graphic on a page can be seen through areas of the graphic so that the image seems more like a part of the page rather than it having to sit inside a rectangular box.

Does that answer your question?

Wow, Scath, I suppose I am no longer the only confusing one. :wink: Just joking, bro! Seriously, thank you very much for the explanation, it cleared up quite a bit of misinformation and questions I had about different types of files used for pictures (i.e. GIF, Bitmap, JPEG, etc). So, simply put, yes that answered my question, thank you. :)