System Restore

DarthTofu

Anybody know how to perform a system restore on a PC running Windows XP when the C drive doesn't appear to exist on the computer? This one's my father's fault, but it's a virus all the same.

It has the time set to "21:21" if that means anything to anyone, and it has removed the "program files" option on the Start menu. How can I perform a restore without access to system tools/how can I access system tools?

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• SWR Staff - Executive

If the system drive itself is gone, then there's no chance to do a system restore.

I'm questioning whether you're actually getting into Windows... if the OS is still working, then system restore can be done from safe mode by pressing F8 (before the Windows boot screen comes up) and selecting Safe Mode.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

What makes you think that a virus caused that? Have u tried that HD in another computer?

If its a virus it wouldnt be of any use to do a system restore because the virus would still be there. Could be rather that the HD is broken.

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Virus detection software was yelling "VIRUS ALERT!" I system restored using what Evaders said, and now the C-drive is available again... but an AVG scan of the computer revealed a whopping 28 viruses! 8O I'm not sure that AVG can safely remove them all.

My dad's an idiot for this.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Well than update the virus-scanner and download adaware. After both programs fixed what could have been fixed download hijackthis and install it in a folder. When starting click on "none of the above, just start the program", save the logfile and than copy and paste it into googlemail and send the logfile to me. You know my addy. ;)

I'm stilling recovering from a major computer failure this weekend :( . Good thing a buddy of mine could help; he did a system scan and found a Malware Trojan which prevented me from running ANY program :evil: . AVG (the free version) was the only program running & it couldn't detect it :? . He used the updated "pay version" of AVG (with Malware detection) and cleaned everything up :D . After I got my hard drive re-installed, my computer wouldn't boot up. He said either my memory or motherboard might be fried (or both) :x . I ordered a new machine on Friday, it should be ready by Wednesday :D
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• SWR Staff - Executive

You can always do a installation into a different directory. It doesn't mean you won't end up reinstalling things though.

You might as well reformat anyway, unless you have really lots of space not to worry about it.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Speaking of system restore. Does anyone know if there is a way to reinstall Windows without erasing the Hard Drive?

Yes! You always can try a repair-installation.

This goes like you would do a new installation with one exception.

First change your boot device from hard drive to CD, than restart again. After the restart the setup routine will start. After accepting the EULA the screen will appear which asks you which kind of installation you would like to proceed.

1. Press "Enter" for a new installation

2. Press "R" for a repair installation

3. Press "F3" to leave the setup.

In this case you should press "Enter". After that another screen appears which asks if you would like to repair a former installation of WinXP. There will be the following options:

1. Press "R" for a repair installation

2. Press "Esc" to leave the setup.

Now its time to press "R". After that you can choose the partition on which windows is installed and than your ready to go.

The difference between a new installation and a repair installation is that settings and personal folders will be kept as well as previous installed programs, while you have to do everything again after a new installation.

@Tex

Above described propably could have also helped your old PC. Because there are not much Viruses around which can also have an effect to hardware.

@Tex

Above described propably could have also helped your old PC. Because there are not much Viruses around which can also have an effect to hardware.

That was going to be my next step Eagle, except for two things: 1) I would have to find my Win2000 CD (it's in storage ... somewhere :( ) and 2) since it appears either my motherboard or memory (or both) fried, booting up is impossible :? .

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?