Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: College
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:12 am 
<!-- Supreme Moff //-->

What I'm saying is to find a school that both has your program and is large. You're not looking for the very best program in the world because then you're liable to pay far more for far less than you expected. Undergrad isn't the end of the world and where you studied often matters little so a good program but at a large school where you can make good contacts in your field and have many, many more opportunities to study and excel, something you won't often, if at all, find at the smaller level.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:09 pm 
<!-- Major //-->

If you're more academically biased, I'd suggest checking out research opportunities at your university. Some unis (faculties) allow even undergrads to participate in research projects and give them access to some of the more expensive equipment. This probably won't count as much for your future employer, but it will give you some personal experience (and make the study less dull).

Also go for the best quality and try to get as far from your parents as possible. I didn't and I'm slowly going crazy at home.

My two cents ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:19 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

so I checked out Georgia Tech, and I equal parts loved and hated it. There seems to be almost no support for students, but at the se time it has tons internship opportunities, which is cool. I'm cheap, and I found that I'm too suburban to like the city, but Atlanta is full of job opportunities. It's very conflicting. I'll say more when I have a legitimate keyboard to type on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:26 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

Location: Death Stars are out at night, big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.
Did you get a chance to go eat at the Varsity? Just down the street there's a little bar called Cricket's, or at least there used to be :? I wonder if it's still there?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:00 am 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

You definitely develop a love/hate relationship with Tech. Most of the programs aren't easy... you will learn to 'sink or swim' fast.

That being said, there is more support developing for students (at least more then there was 5 years ago). There is a big push to help freshman out,, to raise our perception of a low 'freshman retention rate'. Numerous tutoring opportunities... at least for the bigger engineering classes that everyone has to take. Some of the professors do actually help (there is mandatory 'office hours' for them), but most are still focused on their research. They don't care so much whether you learn the material... I hear some actually fail enough students to be put on probation a semester to focus on their research.

There are lots of opportunities around Tech. Atlanta is a big metro area, you can find lots to-do that isn't in your typical collage town.

Aside: Varsity. blah. Eat it once, then you can say you have and never go there again. For less greasy, better food... I recommend Junior's. Great chicken tenders.

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.
- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:29 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

Location: Death Stars are out at night, big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.
Evaders99 wrote:
Aside: Varsity. blah. Eat it once, then you can say you have and never go there again. For less greasy, better food... I recommend Junior's. Great chicken tenders.

A GT grad E or citizen of Hot-lanta (Cheetha's :twisted: )? Is Junior's down by the county courthouse?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:09 am 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

Both. Junior's is on Tech campus right by Tech Tower

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.
- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:39 pm 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

Back to school! Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool! I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight! Ohhhh, back to school! Back to school! Back to school!

My Website

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:38 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

Indeed, it is... I suppose we can turn this thread into a place where students can b*** about their classes as needed. :roll: :P

Personally, I'm not caring too much for my AP MacroEconomics and AP Lit classes right now. AP Macro is one that I hate for the class- the teacher asks nothing but easy, simplistic questions, like "what is the point of diminishing returns when you're eating dinner?" or something like that, and I'm the only person who will answer! There's no hand raising involved... the class is just full of sheep.

If I'm willing to allow a good solid minute or two (literal minute or two, not exaggerated or expression) someone in the class might grow the cahones to whimper an answer that's usually right, but it takes so long that it annoys the crap out of me!

AP Lit actually hasn't been that bad yet. Why do I hate it? Because I had that teacher last year. She is made of evil! You think I'm kidding/exaggerating. This teacher has called individual students idiots on several occasions, and has also called the entire class a collection of idiots! Oh, and did I mention that 100 percent of us "idiots" got a passing grade on the AP Exam last year? As in, we were competent enough to get at least a C or higher in college-level courses, and most of us got a grade of a 4 (equivalent of a B).

So, yeah, that's my whining all done, now. Anyone else care to let loose?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:51 pm 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

Yeah man, I decided to steal this topic into a more general-school topic.

I had my first two classes today. My history class doesnt seem like it will be as bad as I anticipated. He grades based on four tests and a research paper. The paper has to be 6,000 words, but my last one ended up being 8,000 so it wont be as bad.

As for my first education class, I have to meet up with another dude in my class and we have to pick apart New York State's Economics Curriculum. So we have to give a 20 minute presentation on what the goals of the Economics class are, what the students need to do in order to succeed, and then what our criticism of the course overview is. This is due next Tuesday (the class meets once a week, on Tuesdays). So that will be fun. :roll:

My Website

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:29 pm 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

AHHH...ITS DONE!!!

This semester was a bit rough. I had a grad-level History course on global diplomacy from 1890-1945. I had to do a 6000 word research paper in the end, and ended up writing about why it took the U.S. 15 years to recognize Soviet Russia (although I concentrated on just the years 1917-1918).

My other three courses were all education courses (since Im in grad school to get my masters in education with a concentration in social studies). All three involved an insane presentation. One was a group presentation which we gave in class today, on the good and bad of standardized testing. Let me tell you, working in a group of six is not as easy as it sounds. Smaller groups are definitely better.

My second group presentation was actually for an online course on integrating media into the classroom. My partner and I did ours on how different media agencies (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN, and Comedy Central) depict the news in different ways, based on each sources political bias.

My final presentation was the one that was most realistic and helpful. Basically, everyone had to write up a 10-day unit plan, and then present one of the lessons in class, which I did on Tuesday. I chose to do mine on a Participation in Government class, and the unit was "the rights and responsibilities of citizens." The entire unit was actually pretty interesting in the end, and I ended up using three different episodes of The Simpsons in order to teach about the process of naturalization, the differences between Republicans and Democrats and how they are viewed, and on running for office. I taught the lesson on naturalization in class, and it went over well. I really liked working on the Participation in Government lesson. I think that would be a real fun class to teach.

So yeah, I am just so happy that Im done for the semester. Well, at least at college. Starting in a few weeks, I will be going into the middle school I was assigned to and start observing. I basically observe until February, then I begin to help out in class and do stuff, and by the end of March I will actually be teaching lessons every couple of days. Im looking forward to getting into the classroom and out of the college classrooms. Ive just been there so long it makes me sick.

But by December 2009, I will be a certified teacher in NYS!!!

My Website

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:22 am 
<!-- Raporan Dark Lord //-->

Today is the last day of my exams... Not a moment too soon!!!

Click here is you like Trance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:09 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

Congratulations Rob & Mad! I'm done with exams too! :mrgreen: Of course my last exam was ... uh ... umm, yeeeaars ago :lol:

Enjoy your Christmas break :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:43 am 
<!-- Raporan Dark Lord //-->

Worst thing is that i have another two weeks of class before christmas break. :(

Click here is you like Trance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:15 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

... whereas I have another two weeks until exams. ;)

Exams that I'm not looking forward to: AP Statistics, AP Physics, AP Calculus, AP Literature.
Exams I'm indifferent to: Advanced Volleyball, AP Economics
Exams I'm looking forward to: Latin III.

I had a 180 percent average in that class at the issue of Interim Reports. Thank you, trebuchet project.

AP Stats, though not horribly hard, is taught by a mentally retarded teacher, who will take points off for getting the correct answer and showing your work, but not writing out the original formula in variable form. My personal favorite "Really? You're that stupid?" moment was when I answered a questions reading, "Find the value of P(X=5)." I proceeded to solve it and drew a circle around my final answer. She wrote "is equal to P(x=5)" and took off half a point. Wanted to throttle the stupid woman for it...

AP Physics is going to be tough- everything from the simple, basic kinematics, to the complicated world of gravity and rotational kinematics.

AP Calc... I've got a low A going in (93%), and the test promises to be difficult, seeing as it's going over everything that we've studied since the start of the year, and L'Hospital's rule is a pain to remember in full.(as are the derivatives of every trig function and every trig function's inverse)

AP Lit: That one would be so much easier if the teacher were more open to dissenting opinions. As it stands, if your interpretation isn't her interpretation, you're wrong, and that's that. No room for different viewpoints.

Anyway, yeah... that's my rundown. Who else has some fun exams coming up?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next