Bad Explanations in Movies

Darth_Rob

Well, I for one was upset when Lucas rationalized the Force by using the whole midicloriant explanation. IMO, the Force was one of those things just better off left unanswered, and it should have remained a mystery, so that we could all have our own thoughts in our heads.

So I was thinking of other movies that did this, and one pops right into my head. Highlander. The background for the immortals is just...horrible. Highlander 2 killed the movie, and only Adrian Paul (who played Duncan MacLeod in the TV series) was able to save the series. So yeah, the whole concept of the immortals being outcasts from an alien planet was just...horrible. And even though I love Sean Connery, he should not have come back for the second movie. That movie was atrocious.

Anyone have any other movies where something mysterious was explained when it shouldn't have been?

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

Most movies I watch do just the opposite, or only explain the bare minimum at the end of the movie. The first one that comes to mind is The Game, with Michael Douglas. Douglas? I think that's the right person... Anyway, great movie. You should all watch it.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Guest Scathane

How about...

1 The Matrix
    2 Resident Evil
    3 Rambo (although they mostly screwed up the titles)
    4 The Chronicles of Riddick
    5 Darkman

Well, it's not from a movie but still (and after all these years) one of my absolutely favorite 'explanations'...

Do the words "Bobby Ewing's dream" ring a bell...? :twisted:

Asteroids do not concern me...

Warning: What follows constitutes spoilers for the Cube trilogy. If you are partway through it or enjoyed the first one, you may not want to read this. If you've only seen the first one and you enjoyed it, read on for a long list of reasons on why you ought to stop there.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hated/i] when the movie Cube had a sequel and a prequel made- Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero. Cube Zero wasn't as bad as Hypercube, but Hypercube was a piece of crap- it tried to pass everything off as a government conspiracy- a Canadian government conspiracy. I'm sorry, Canada, but you don't have government conspiracies.

Cube Zero pissed me off when it explained the autistic character, Kazan, in the original Cube. Apparently he was a guy that worked outside of the Cube that wound up getting stuck in after brain surgery, and was reduced to knowing only the key to survival, really.

The original Cube was great- yes, parts of it were poorly acted out, and some of the math was really a lot easier than it pretended to be (prime factors of 523 are not astronomical- any number that's even is not prime, any number that ends in five is not prime; don't take twenty seconds to figure that out, Leven!) but the character development and the way the Cube changed them all- it was great! Wondering what the deal was with how everyone showed up in the Cube, why they couldn't remember anything- that was half of the movie!

Then other directors decided to leech off of the original and try to explain it all. Cube Zero ruined Kazan, and Hypercube was just... it just was, at best. No plot development- the big twist at the end was that Alex Turner (or something like that) was a woman. I'm shocked. Gah.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Oh, yeah!

Or Carrington´s gay son rising from the dead in Dynastie. :roll:

Also:

Midichlorians

Leia´s memories of her "real" mother

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Guest Scathane
Well, it's not from a movie but still (and after all these years) one of my absolutely favorite 'explanations'...

No, I didn't but after checking what you mean on Wikipedia, I must admit that this mechanism indeed constitutes nothing else than script rape... :x

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to see Alien vs. Predator 2 today. Yar, was it annoying. It totally destroys the whole biology of xenomorphs (the Aliens). I don't want to get into it due to spoilers for those who haven't caught it yet, but lets just say the xenomorphs reproduce in ridiculous ways, not like the other movies.

For example, in the older movies the Queen lays eggs. The eggs hatch facehuggers, which latch onto hosts and implant the chestbusters, which mature into the regular ugly xenomorph we all know and love. But this movie totally bypasses all this, and they reproduce in a ridiculous way, at a VERY ridiculous pace. Its insane!

However, I still liked the movie. Better than the first AVP in my opinion.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png