Looking for some Linux help

I've been extremely bogged down with school of late, and with one project in specific. I've been trying to create a live CD with Cedega and StarCraft installed, but I've had two road blocks.

The first was using UCK. UCK is suppose to make the process of customizing a live CD easier, and it does. However, it has a nasty habbit of deleting the /home/username folder when it recompresses the file system (which does me no good since that's where Cedega installs).

So, I went about doing it manually. Now I have another issue: Cedega does nothing but error it's ass of. Here's what I get:

root@ubuncraft:/# cedega
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/gddb.py:24: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for module gddb_parser: This Python has API version 1013, module gddb_parser has version 1012.
 import gddb_parser
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72: GtkWarning: could not open display
 warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
 self.widgets = gtk.glade.XML(GLADE_FILE, None, "p2p_localized_msg")
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: GtkWarning: gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega/p2p_gui.py:78: GtkWarning: gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

As the system's name would suggest I'm using a Ubuntu release (Xubuntu 7.04), and I know it will install, I just think I'm missing somethig here.

I've already posted on the Cedega boards, but they're practically lifeless, so I'm hoping one of our resident Linux gurus might be able to lend me a hand.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Unfortunately when making a Live CD you have to Chroot the working directory for the squashfs file structure. I know it wasn't an issue with running it as root as I was able to get it working fine with UCK (though UCK undoes my hard work by deleting the /home/username directory once it starts recompressing the file system).

I've decided simply to go with Wine, which works fine apparently. My only reason for wanting to use Cedega is the fact that it's completely GUI, and therefore much easier for the average user to use.

Now I just have to get Reconstructor to modify and compile the resulting ISO correctly, or else figure out why I have no top and bottom menu bars...

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

And why does UCK do that? Btw. if you're runing the LiveCD as root, then all your settings are in the /root directory and no /home is needed. But again, I don't know how exactly UCK works :( Try asking on Ubuntu forums.

Wine is very good (and free) and if you want to make more user-friendly, you can create icons/links (simple .desktop files) for your users and put them on the desktop (my Wine does this for me automatically).

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

I'm not entirely why UCK does it, however by using Wine I've managed to avoid the issue. Wine allows me to install games into the regular file structure of Linux, so I don't have any issues with settings or files being deleted.

Cedega is an odd program. Even though it's being run as root, it seeks out any systems users and installs some files into their home directories. Wine actually does the same, however it allows me to install to the "Z Drive", ie anything not in the .wine directory.

My only remaining issue is getting Xubuntu to use the custom wallpaper I've created, though I think I've got that licked too. I'm not entirely sure why the customization tools I've been using have been having such a hard time with this, but I think it may have something to do with the Ubuntu flavor I'm using. Sadly I didn't get to choose, my prof. assigned us Xubuntu.