Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (spoilers!!!)

Darth_Rob

Were you pleased with the overall ending of the book, and thus the series?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Were you pleased with the overall ending of the book, and thus the series?

• Yeah, it was great!
    • It was decent, but it was lacking something
    • Worst. Ending. Ever.

So this thread will be for us to discuss the final Harry Potter book, as well as the series as whole. Do not check this thread out until you have read the book or don't care to receive a fist-full of spoilers. And please, let's stick to the book, and not internet rumor and whatnot...

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

Comes out on the 21st. Its been on rapidshare for a select few for almost two months.

Good book, but not the best in the series.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

I bought a copy yesterday, and something got me thinking. The retail price was £17.99, as printed by the publisher in the sleeve, but I had to walk a mile to a bookshop that had it because my local independent bookshop said it was pointless him buying any copies because the supermarkets would be selling it four pounds cheaper than he could buy it as a retailer at cost price, without even considering his logical profit mark-up. The independent bookshop in Muswell Hill I subsequently went to then tried to charge me only £14.99, instead of the £17.99 printed on the sleeve. When I asked why, they said they were forced to because of how cheaply the supermarket across the road were selling it. I insisted on paying them £17.99, out of support for independent retailers, but ended up in the supermarket across the road anyway to buy some tasty Chinese duck for my lunch.

I'm all for the free market and enterprise and the like, but this scenario had a sour taste to it as I walked home. Independent business' can't afford to have 'loss leaders' like the huge chain stores, so is it right they suffer economically selling a book of this obvious popularity? Just food for thought.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Haha, man, you see all these people who quit their jobs/and or have no life to wait in line for this book. At the store I go to, in Idaho there is a huge PILE of the new Harry Potter books at like 60% off. :lol:

People who wait in line for hours to see Star Wars, or get a God-game like Halo 3 are better, but they're still stupid. Yes, you can, and yes you will be able to get a copy; but to quit your job... man...

And Jahled, it's true what you said, I've seen incidents of this a few times...

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/Dave-Mastor/Cluster6.jpg

Getting back to the subject of the thread i must say i quite liked the ending. It was a happy ending and i must say I wasn't expecting anything else. So i was happy.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Thanks for spoiling the ending Mad! .... j/k :lol:

I bought the book Saturday afternoon. Since I took that speed reading course all those years ago, I'm flying through the book. As of yesterday afternoon I was upto Chapter 4. I'll be done in no time :D You should have seen how long it used to take me to read a book of this size.

:P

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I could REALLY spoil the ending for you, Tex. My girlfriend is a Harry Potter fan. I went to the store with her when she got the book and I read the part of the Epilogue.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I just finished it a few minutes ago. I did not expect as many deaths to occur, but at the same time, I was surprised at who didn't die.

I was curious to see if it would take place at school or out of it (since HBP ended with Harry being uncertain of what he would do). I liked the fact that it deviated from the normal school setting, and had them traveling throughout the wizarding world.

I was also sort of surprised with Snape. I didn't understand how he could still be in good graces after killing Dumbledore, when the book started getting marketed and they had posters saying "Snape. Friend or Foe?" I started to wonder if he would redeem himself. It was also interesting to see so deep into Snape, with his love for Lily and all.

All in all, it was a great book, and I enjoyed it a lot. I feel it really wrapped up the story nicely. I could have done without "Nineteen Years Later", but whatever.

My Website

I loved the ending, though the one thing that I felt the epilogue lacked was a description of what everyone looks like nineteen years later. It was heartwarming, it gave a sense of closure, and it left the door open for imagination for everyone.

HUGE SPOILERS! Just a warning in case you're a bloody fool and didn't read the thread title.

Fred Weasley's death really hurt for me. I nearly woke up the person who was trying to sleep in the same room as me when it happened, and I can honestly, without any shame, say that I cried when it happened. Fred and George, the united Weasley twins, who caused mischief and gave us those great moments of comic relief, but weren't just two dimensional supporting characters, for they had moments of pain and suffering as much as anyone else.

He helped his brother get over having a hole blasted in his head and took it so well, and then was killed, sundering him from his twin, destroying that semblance of harmony and symmetry between them.

When it happened I found myself whispering, "Fred and George are just George, now," and not wanting to believe it because there wouldn't be another book where he'd be dead, but ultimately he was.

I know that they aren't real and all, but the characters just seem so alive while you read, and I got rather caught up in it. Granted, I was running on a total of four hours sleep for two days, so that didn't much help me discern reality from fantasy. :roll:

My favorite part was either A) Snape's memories, showing how he acted and why and how he became the way he was or B) The chapter King's Cross. Dumbledore's line- "Of course it's in your head, Harry, but why on earth does that mean that it isn't real?" is probably the epitome of the whole series and of Dumbledore himself. I nominate it as the best quote of all time, even if I don't honestly believe it to be as much.

Anyway, that's my two bits worth. I'm not blacking the text because A) Blacking text annoys me and B) People who would piss and moan were warned in the title and in the first post.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Yeah, a lot of the deaths were sad. Not just Freds, but Lupin and Tonks also. I mean, Harry had lost his parents, and then his Godfather, but he still had Lupin as a connection to his parents. Then he and Tonks died, both of which had just had a child together. I was also shocked when Mad Eye died so early on in the book.

As a more general statement, I give kudos to Rowling. For the longest time, I believed that either Harry, Ron, or Hermoine were gonna die in this book. I think she furthered those rumors in interviews and what not. Bravo to making me expect the worst, but then shocking me by not doing what I expected.

My Website

Yeah, a lot of the deaths were sad. ... I was also shocked when Mad Eye died so early on in the book.

I was shocked that Mad Eye died so ... easily. Meaning that there wasn't a more decriptive battle to proceed his death. It was just that, "he's dead". I was thinking it might have been a "ruse" up until the visit to Grimwauld Place. Then it sank in.

Fred's death was a shock, but Dobby's death hit dearly. And then I thought, "Hey, that's 3 not 2 characters that died. She said 2 characters were going to die" :evil: And then more characters died! Then she killed off Harry! 8O But, but, there's still about two or three chapters to go 8O:? But, I did like the end (mostly).

Soon she'll franchise out the rights for other authors to do stories, but maintain control over content just like GL for his stuff. She'll rake in even more big bucks and, hopefully, the "Potter EU" or PEU (pronounce "pew") won't become what it sounds like.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

The Potter expanded universe...

Maybe it would show the adventures of Harry as an Auror. I wonder what Ron did with his life. Do you think he and Hermoine would follow Harry as Aurors? That is, of course, assuming that Harry would become one as his professional career.

My Website

The Potter expanded universe...

Maybe it would show the adventures of Harry as an Auror. I wonder what Ron did with his life. Do you think he and Hermoine would follow Harry as Aurors? That is, of course, assuming that Harry would become one as his professional career.

Well as of right now, they're drop-outs and haven't finished their schooling! :lol: As for Harry he did say he was interested in being an Auror. After finishing off Voldemort I seriously don't think they would make him finish his last year of school (he would be soooo totally bored). I think Ron would follow Harry, but Hermoine is definitely very difficult to pin down; she could do just about whatever she wanted, but I would guess maybe joining Harry & Ron as an Auror.

On another note, a question: If Griphook (the goblin) ran off with the Sword of Gryffindor at Gringott's, how did it get back into the Sorting Hat so Neville could cut off Nagini's head? Just wondering ... :?

You and my father have both been asking that question continuously, Tex. I think it all goes back to book two, and then even further. Dumbledore says, "Those who remain loyal to me shall find help when they need it" or something like that. Neville certainly remained loyal to Harry and Dumbledore, leading Dumbledore's Army single-handedly when Luna and Ginny left, and when he needed help, Godric Gryffindor's old hat produced the sword for him, as it did with Harry.

I think that's part of the sword's magic, that it was tied to Gryffindor. The Sorting Hat was his, and with Gryffindor gone, the sword might identify with the hat as its former master, arriving when one with the same qualities as Gryffindor needs it.

Quite frankly, we must ask why the big G. would shove the sword in the hat in the first place- he likely wouldn't. Thus I feel that, as I've said, the sword is linked with the last relic(s) of Gryffindor.

As for Harry and Ron's proffessions: Rowling has stated in an interview on NBC that they are both now Aurors, with Harry as the head of the department. Hermione is supposed to be "rather high up" in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

She apparently wrote a far more detailed epilogue originally, but then felt that it didn't flow properly, and so revamped it, leaving more details of character life unknown, but doing something that left her happier.

She said something about writing an encyclopedia on Harry eventually, and in it she would give more details, including who the all-new headmaster of Hogwarts would be (McGonnigal (sp?) is apparently too old for the job).

12/14/07

Yeah, I heard about that encyclopedia too. Sort of her last work with Potter, an encyclopedia on everything in the Potter universe. I think I also heard that she was going to send off a good portion of the proceeds to charity.

My Website

That was very informative. I see my guess about Ron being an Auror was wrong, but this one makes more sense. Im sure he needed to be there to help his brother.

My Website

Erm, actually you weren't wrong. According to Rowling in another interview he is an auror. I assume that he helps George out in his spare time...

12/14/07

Ahhh, I don't think I saw that. I just assumed they would stay together, then I saw this interview.

Needless to say, I will be purchasing that encyclopedia whenever she finishes it up (probably a few years down the road).

My Website