My new computer

BadSamaritan

So, after several long months of troubleshooting my computer, trying to determine the reason behind its crashes, I finally got fed up and ordered new parts.

I replaced the Videocard first, as I thought it may have been worn out, as the computer only crashed while under heavy video load. Didn't work.

Next, I swapped in some new RAM, thinking mine may have been unstable. No change. Hmmm....

Finally, I gave up and ordered all new parts.

Intel E6600 Dual Core 2 processor

Zalman 9700 NT CPU fan to keep that baby cool.

Intel DP965LT Motherboard

2 gigs Mushkin DDR2 RAM

GeForce 8800 320 Meg GDDR3 GTS OC Video card

And finally, an Aspire 640 watt PSU to juice it all up.

Gonna be using my current casing to house it all, as it seems that NOBODY makes cases with the options I like anymore for reasonable prices after Aspire altered their basic design.

So, what y'all think?

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Looks good to me, how many GHz does the processor have?

Thought If I were you, I would have waited a while longer and gotten more 64-bit bassed parts. That computer while about as good as mine, will get outdated, VERY fast. The market is already shifting to 64-bit games and programs.

But still, looks good to me.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/Dave-Mastor/Cluster6.jpg

I guess it´s more than enough to play Rebellion. ;)

But if you ever will suspect your RAM to be the origin of some trouble you have with your PC, than try this tool first. It checks your RAM.

Did you had vista running on your old machine?

Who cares at all?! :roll:

No, I am waiting on Vista till I know they work out all the bugs.

But now, as I got everything installed and am getting ready to fire it up, I did a test run to make sure the PSU was hooked up properly. And much to my annoyance, the PSU squeals when the computer is powered up now.

So now here I sit, with a nice brand new rig, and I am troubleshooting a PSU of all things. More proof that the Force is most certainly not with me.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Are you sure that it´s the CPU? It doesn´t tend to squeal under any circumstances to my knowledge. It could be either the fan or, and that could be really bad, the harddrive. A harddrive is squealing when it gets broken. Ensure yourself from where that sounds is coming from. If it´s the harddrive than do a backup, quickly.

Are you sure that it´s the CPU?

PSU man, PSU. Power Supply Unit.

Also, I have eliminated the PSU, the fans, and the HD from the equation. All I am left with now is that irritating little speaker on my mobo itself, and I have no idea why that would squeal.

Ok, the power-supply than. :?:oops: My last PSU had also the tendency to squeal and that was indeed its fan. It grinded somewhere which was the origin of that sound. Maybe that´s the same in your case.

Are you sure that it´s the CPU?

PSU man, PSU. Power Supply Unit.

Also, I have eliminated the PSU, the fans, and the HD from the equation. All I am left with now is that irritating little speaker on my mobo itself, and I have no idea why that would squeal.

I recommend SilverStone PSUs, I have a 460 and 600 watt models running my desktops respectively. 1000RPM 120mm fans at 16db for very quiet performance. I'd just unplug the case speaker motherboard connection as any boot error is going to give you a display code on modern boards anyways. Most use to do beeps only a morse code style manner of short and long beeps to indicate an error code that could be looked up the owner's manual, other than troubleshooting, no reason to plug that in at all.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy