Earth II, Is it true?!

budious

Found: The New Earth

"It's got the same climate as Earth, plus water and gravity. A newly discovered planet is the most stunning evidence that life - just like us - might be out there.

Above a calm, dark ocean, a huge, bloated red sun rises in the sky - a full ten times the size of our Sun as seen from Earth. Small waves lap at a sandy shore and on the beach, something stirs...

This is the scene - or may be the scene - on what is possibly the most extraordinary world to have been discovered by astronomers: the first truly Earth-like planet to have been found outside our Solar System."

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_02/planet2_468x194.jpg

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_02/planet_468x457.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only 20 Lightyears away! Amazing! I hope we can find a way to get a space craft or probe there within my lifetime. :D

Also, further down the article... "Of the 220 or so exoplanets found to date, most have either been too big, made of gas rather than solid material, far too hot, or far too cold for life to survive." I didn't know we had identified so many planets outside of our own solar system already, awesome work astronomers!

More tidbits...

"There are 200 billion stars in our galaxy alone and many astronomers believe most of these stars have planets.

The fact that almost as soon as we have built a telescope capable of detecting small, earth-like worlds, one turns up right on our cosmic doorstep, shows that statistically, there are probably billions of earths out there. "

... I like statistics.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Yeah, it's amazing how fast progress is made in finding 'exo-planets'. I think there will be more fantastic discoveries within our lifetimes - I doubt, however, that we will live to see live pictures (via a probe) :(

But who knows... 15 years ago scientest doubted that it would be possible at all to find these planets, so... ;)

Asteroids do not concern me...

It is estimated that there are thousands of stars in our galaxy which are similar to our sone. If even some of them own planets there must be a huge amount of planet where life is possible.

But 20 light years isn´t that far away. Get the Falcon started! :D

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Pretty cool- if we actually wind up contacting intelligent life that would be really cool, but I sincerely doubt it. Granted, according the local news it is no longer a 0.1% chance that we will find intelligent life, but a 1% chance. :roll:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

This is brilliant! Somebody ready my Blockade Runner! I'm going there!

Imagine if the lifeforms there had discovered our planet? :P

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Imagine if the lifeforms there had discovered our planet? :P

If so, we'd all probably be exterminated by now for being stupid

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

To quote Bill Waterston: "I think the surest sign that there's intelligent life out there is that it hasn't tried to contact us." Okay, so more like to paraphrase him, but still... Well, in a couple of decades we'll get to hear all about this :roll::lol::wink:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I totally agree with you Tofu. They haven't officially contacted us because Earth is like a 6th-World planet to a species that has mastered intergalactic travel.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I reccommend we build 2 adv shipyards, 2 adv. training facs and 5 adv const yards. we should also send jerjerrod or someone to do his diplomacy thingie on any populated planets in area. Once we get hold of a planet that can accommodate 12 adv shipyards, we name it Kuat and start building a death star.

Then we will be able to CRUSH teh rebellion with ONE SWIFT STROKE! MUAHAHAHAHHA :twisted:

A Death Star for Afghanistan and Iraq? I guess one or two Star Destroyers should do it. ;)

But honestly, now that we know that there is a planet where we may could live, our scientists should think about how we can get there as soon as possible. :D

I didnt mean that we should build a fleet to bomb somewhere on earth, but to dominate the galaxy... And if would attack earth, i would much rather suggest USA as the target then Iraq and Afghanistan.. i think they had their share of being attacked on allready.

But to stick to the point, Star destroyers would be nice yes :D

But honestly, now that we know that there is a planet where we may could live, our scientists should think about how we can get there as soon as possible. :D

Even at light speed it's twenty years away.. and given this speed is never going to be possible for humanity, or us getting as far as the end of even our own 'little' solar-system, the prospects look bleak for genuine contact for this world. I did read something in the New scientist not so long ago basically saying the time was about right for launching probes to planets like at this distance due to the gravitational advantages of our own planetary bodies, but of course can't find it. It is in their archives, somewhere.. :?

Just to chuck in the realistic physics here, but if we ever got a starship to that now redunant planetoid, Pluto, it would have achieved 1/72,000th of the size of our own solar system; ie: nowehere fast. At our own sun's gravitational influence's extreme edge, it wouldn't even be the brightest stella body in the sky. Just a distant spec, still exerting it's influence.

Faster-than-light interstella travel? Emm.. where is everybody. Even a very conservative one hundred million years for an interstella civilization to florish and conquer/contact the stars, or even leave any discernable trace hasn't happened, unless you proscribe to conspiricies like Roswell, 9/11 was a Bush plot/my grandad didn't witness Nazi-holocaust camps, etc. Where are these advanced civilations? We should have detected even the slightest traces of their 'time travel' by now. They've had all the time in the universe don't forget if you believe breaking the rules of physics is a practical alternative to the reality in front of us..

Edit:The article I couldn't find last night, or some of it..

Oh and another one from the same learned journal, perhaps rubbishing half of my post, perhaps not.. :)

Edited by Jahled
http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Hey, were getting closer to developing cryogenic suspended animation. We can just send some freezer ships like in the known space books.

*Crosses fingers and hopes for lack of brain damage.*

... And if would attack earth, i would much rather suggest USA as the target then Iraq and Afghanistan..

Not very nice of you :evil: Apparently there's no logic behind this decision. Therefore I disregard it.

Now, just as soon as they (those pesky scientists) perfect the fusion reactor and crack anti-matter production, I think we'll have plenty of power to move some interstellar probes along pretty fast :D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

@Jahled

I was talking about to start researching of how to get there. Like people in the past started to try to fly to get somewhere high above the ground. We all here won´t be able to see even a probe ariving at that planet, whatever it will be called. But our scientists should start immediately about thinking how we can get there. Just think about that it was assumed to be impossible to get to the moon and about 50 to 60 years later we supposed to got there. And maybe some day, in a couple of hundred years or so, there may be some guys who invent a really powerfull engine which enables us to reach at least some nearer stars.

The humanity was allways about to solve huge problems. If they wanted to cross the oceans, which was believed to be impossible, they tried to find a way to achieve that. Later they´ve built a really good vessel and they made it. Comparing space-travelling with sailing the oceans, we may just have invented a small boat or even just a raft yet, which enables us to reach the other shore of a small creek. And it will be a really long way to go to design that ship which will make its way through deep space to finally reach that new discovered planet.

Thats a really cool way to look at it Eagle.. I think thats really a perfect way to explain and compare our space faring technology.. anyways.. i would just like to mention now that perhaps if the planet were inhabited they wouldnt want to know us.. if they are indeed receiving our television broadcasts.. they would be receiving our broadcasts from 20 years ago... 1987.. they may think us a bit crazy with out "Flock of Seagulls" haircuts... :lol:

on a more serious note.. I can't wait till New Horizons reaches Pluto.. in another.. 8... years... but still it will be cool none the less... and I cant believe its already reached jupiter! 8O .. in a year! ... thats pretty fast.. and once Voyager 1 and 2 get out of the solar system.. completely... perhaps we can learn more about innerstellar travel conditions?.. i forget where they are now.. but i know i posted a pic once.. of where they were a year ago.. its below...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/5c828021.jpg

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

.. and once Voyager 1 and 2 get out of the solar system.. completely... perhaps we can learn more about innerstellar travel conditions?..

Once Voyagers 1 & 2 get to interstellar space, they will be dead :( They don't have the necessary power to relay the information back. The longer it takes, the less power they have. Already several of the instruments are powered down, and only the minimum are left. To conserve power they need to turn off the very instruments that would tell them what they need to know. If they turn off the gryoscopes (to keep the high gain antenna aimed at Earth) to keep the instruments powered up, how do you get the info back to Earth (the antenna is pointing where now?)? It's a good PR campaign, but it's pretty well done its mission. :?