Darth_Rob

I saw the trailer for this movie. I was excited when I first heard about it because it's based on the Spartan battle at Telemachy (sp), where the extremely small Spartan army defended against the invading Prussian army. But upon seeing the trailer, I now have mixed feelings. It's done by Frank Miller, so for those of you who saw Sin City, the movie has the same feel and look to it. So the movie is based very, very loosely on fact. But I enjoyed Sin City, and it still looks cool. So I want to see it based on that fact, but at the same time I'm wondering how it's really going to be...

You can check it out here. Just click on the trailer icon.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I saw the trailer for this movie. I was excited when I first heard about it because it's based on the Spartan battle at Telemachy (sp), where the extremely small Spartan army defended against the invading Prussian army. But upon seeing the trailer, I now have mixed feelings. It's done by Frank Miller, so for those of you who saw Sin City, the movie has the same feel and look to it. So the movie is based very, very loosely on fact. But I enjoyed Sin City, and it still looks cool. So I want to see it based on that fact, but at the same time I'm wondering how it's really going to be...

Actually it was the Persian army (the Prussians come two thousand years later..finger error Rob?:wink: ) at Thermopylae, and the all the Spartans were killed along with their king standing steadfast against 400,000, fulfilling a Delphic prophecy that either a Spartan king would be killed or their homeland laid waste.

Film looks entertaining

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Saw the preview yesterday:

Preview: "Our arrows will be so many that you shall not see the sun!"

"Then we shall fight in the shade!"

Me: "Oh my..."

Friend: "What?"

Me: "I just translated a poem with those exact words in Latin I a week ago!"

Preview: "Tonight we dine in hell!"

Me: "It did it again! Holy FSM, it did it again!"

Looks rather cool in terms of fighting, but it'll probably rely a lot on CGI. I think it'll be a lot like the Cronicles of Riddick (sp?)

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Ugh... I don't really like what "Epics" have developed into:

Soundtrack: Dominated by a loud overtone of blaring horns, with strings as the bass and a choir singing "Do mi nos" in a horrible steccato(sp) (or is it legato?)- Anyway, the bouncy, punchy style.

Image- CG battles with thousands of cg people.

Acting: Lots of battle shouts with the main character often times charging in the typical "AHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRR" fashion.

Ugh.

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Soundtrack: Dominated by a loud overtone of blaring horns, with strings as the bass and a choir singing "Do mi nos" in a horrible steccato(sp) (or is it legato?)- Anyway, the bouncy, punchy style.

That would be steccato, mate. Legato is the precise opposite- flowing smoothly. Steccato is short, sharp, and choppy. If you ever listen to, say, Pictures at an Exhbition, you can note that the intro is legato (the trumpet bit) while, say, The Hut of Babba Yagga (That's the name of the section- I'm not making it up) is steccato.

Those of you who actually know the proper spellings of the Italian words, forgive my poor ones.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I've seen the trailer, a while ago infact. I was happy to hear some NIN playing, and I rather like the filtering effect used in the movie.

I'm a fan of Frank Miller's other work .. the little I've seen .. and am hopeful for the movie - but there's something about it that isn't getting me excited.

Not sure why either.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Actually it was the Persian army (the Prussians come two thousand years later..finger error Rob?:wink: ) at Thermopylae, and the all the Spartans were killed along with their king standing steadfast against 400,000, fulfilling a Delphic prophecy that either a Spartan king would be killed or their homeland laid waste.

Film looks entertaining

:lol: Exactly what I thought .... Prussians? What's next the Red Army vs the Incans? :lol: Thanks for the (typo) laugh Rob :wink:

I've already saw the movie The 300 Spartans (made in 1962 :roll: )

The 300 looks like the original movie remade by The Matrix. It still looks interesting though :D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Like Tex, I saw The 300 Spartans (and own it on DVD, in fact! :) ) and much prefer that to what I have seen of 300. In truth, I have an issue with the movie, and more generally all movies based on Miller graphic novels (such as Sin City, which made me gag). Maybe it's a personal thing--likely is since everyone else and their grandmother's dog seemed to love the movie... :roll:

Aversions for graphic novels aside, my displeasure with 300 is, as I'm sure you've all guessed (especially you, Tofu), historical. In the same way I despised The Day After Tomorrow for its terrible "use of science" and King Kong for its lack of logic in all scenes, I really do not like what I see in 300. I could go on and on (and on!) about historical inaccuracies (and Tofu can attest to this as he's been first-hand victim--I mean, witness to this), but I won't. Rather, I'll just say: the original is much better, and by that I mean the story as passed down to us by Herodotus.

And don't anyone even think about daring to use 300 as a basis concerning relative historical arguments lest they want to see me grow horns, sprout wings, and spit fire and plague upon them, their family, and kin. :evil:

And don't anyone even think about daring to use 300 as a basis concerning relative historical arguments lest they want to see me grow horns, sprout wings, and spit fire and plague upon them, their family, and kin. :evil:

Yeah, like this ...

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/8205/balrogscreenshotgp3.jpg

Too bad that real life isn't exciting enough for Hollywood :roll:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I think the movie shall have to be viewed as simple entertainement and not as fact.
I know, I know, but... Ugh. Maybe I was just hoping for too much when I heard they were going to make a movie based on the Battle of Thermopylae.

EDIT: Tex, glad you took that picture of me. Too bad for that poor child who said leather armour for Romans is accurate. 8)

I don't think any movie even ones that claim to be true stories are accurate.

Thank you DarthTex and SOCL for giving me another optionas I think 300 will probably be too graphic for me and the missus too!

I'd say the vast majority of films based on true events always have at least a little bit of fiction to help move the story along or to further develop a character. It's a neccessity in this day and age.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I think the movie shall have to be viewed as simple entertainement and not as fact.

Well it is based on Frank Miller's 300, which was a graphic novel based on the events we're all talking about. So, historical fact will be thin I'd imagine, in place of Frank's personal view and graphical interpretation. So, don't go in expecting to see something of historical fact - go in thinking it's based on comic book, because it is :)

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Well it is based on Frank Miller's 300, which was a graphic novel based on the events we're all talking about. So, historical fact will be thin I'd imagine, in place of Frank's personal view and graphical interpretation. So, don't go in expecting to see something of historical fact - go in thinking it's based on comic book, because it is :)

I've read the graphic novel and it is far more historically accurate than the film.

:roll: Lot of reading I don't feel like going through right now in this thread. All I can tell is it's a little sidetracked.

Anyways, I think I'll go see 300 when it comes out in theatres here. I really liked Sin City and wished I'd seen it in theatres.

Hoping I won't miss 300 like I did that last few movies I wanted to see.