The *NEW* 7 Wonders of the World

JediHunter

Are you going to vote?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to vote?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, If I get around to it.

I wasn’t aware, but apparently people are voting for the new 7 wonders of the world. Vote here. Pretty cool... to me at least. We could use some new wonders.. out of the 21 choices, I voted for: The Acropolis, Angkor Wat, Chichen Itza, Easter Island Statues, Pyramids of Giza, Stonehenge and the Taj Mahal.

I debated whether or not to vote for the Taj Mahal, but it just seemed too.. impressive not to vote for it. And the Pyramids of Giza shouldn't lose their status in my opinion... but thats me. Who did you vote for? Or are you going to vote for.. the choices can be found on the website.. but ill list them here too.. your choices are: Acropolis, Greece ; Alhambra, Spain ; Angkor, Cambodia ; Christ Redeemer Statue, Brazil ; Colosseum, Italy ; Easter Island, Chile ; Eiffel Tower, France ; Great Wall of China ; Hagia Sophia, Turkey ; Kiyomizu Temple, Japan ; Kremlin and St. Basil's Cathedral, Russia ; Machu Picchu, Peru ; Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany ; Petra, Jordan ; Pyramid at Chichen Itza, Mexico ; Pyramid of Giza, Egypt ; Statue of Liberty, New York ; Stonehenge, Britain ; Sydney Opera House, Australia ;Taj Mahal, India ;Timbuktu, Mali

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

I voted for the Greek Acropolis, Chichen Itza, the Colosseum, Easter Island Statues, Great Wall of China, Pyramids of Giza, and Stonehenge.

Why wasn't Skywalker Ranch on there?

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

hahahaha... skywalker ranch isnt on there because noone wonders about it.. we all know its george lucas's tower of terror... so to speak... or sphere of fear?.. hehe.. anyways.. yea..

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

I'm going to vote ... just not sure for what yet.

What's the Sydney Opera House doing there? 8O

That's hardly a wonder of the world ... the Statues on Easter Island, the Pyramids, the Great Wall - those are Wonders.

I'll edit this once I vote.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Acropolis, Colosseum, Easter Island Statues, Great Wall, Hagia Sophia, Pyramids of Giza, Taj Mahal.

Hagia Sophia, the Acropolis, and the Colosseum just because their such amazing feats of engineering (And by the Greeks and Romans), Great Wall, Pyramids, and Easter Island Statues for the same reason, except that they are not quite as spiffy in my opinion.

Taj Mahal because... Well, it's Taj Mahal. Like JH said- way too spiffy not to include.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I thought it was supposed to be NEW wonders, surely they should be talking about things built recently shouldn't they?

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

I thought it was supposed to be NEW wonders, surely they should be talking about things built recently shouldn't they?

I agree with you on principle, as in that it's the new wonders and to have something new .. but nothing new (that comes to mind at least) screams a Wonder of the world.

They've got the Opera house .. which is semi-rescent. But that's hardly something that draws awe.

It's pretty, and a nice feet or architecture.

But, the Great Wall of China and the Pyramids - those truelly are Wonders of the World that still make people look at them with ... well, wonder :roll:

My list:

The Colosseum

Easter Island Statues

Great Wall of China

The Pyramids

Stonehenge

Petra (That's the building carved out of a cliff face!)

Machu Picchu (lost city anyone :wink: )

Now ... whether or not I actually vote is another thing, I'm not a huge fan of giving to many facts about my self just to register :?

(Yes, I know that I can make it up :roll: )

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

The Christ Redeemer Statue in Rio? The Statue of Liberty in New York?? Well these statues are impressive, but they aren´t a wonder. Because even the old greeks made statues which were bigger. The collossus of Rhodos for example. And I agree with Krytos about the Sydney Opera House. It´s a cool bit of architecture, but it´s not a wonder like the pyramide. A wonder should be something of which you still ask yourself how they´d managed to build that in their time.
Who cares at all?! :roll:

I suppose eventually you could have things like the international space station, i mean, that is a pretty incredible feat of engineering.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

I have voted!

I voted for the following:

:arrow: Acropolis.

:arrow: Angkor.

:arrow: Chichen Itza.

:arrow: Colosseum.

:arrow: Great Wall of China.

:arrow: The Pyramids of Giza.

:arrow: Stonehenge.

I have been to Stonehenge and the Pyramids of Giza (even in one of the pyramids) I believe they are wonders cause of their meaning and longevity.

I have voted the way I have because of the mysteries that they hold. The meaning and symbolism that they held to those that built them and the symbols that they are now. Symbols of national heritage and pride (Acropolis, Colosseum, the Great Wall of China, the pyramids at Giza and stonehenge.), symbols of religious belief (Angkor, Chichen Itza, the Pyramids and Stonehenge) symbols of power (chichen Itza, Colosseum, the Pyramids and the Great Wall of China), symbols of civility (Chichen Itza, Acropolis, Colosseum and Angkor) and finally the knowledge it took to build some if not all of these, which is a mystery and wonder in itself.

The Christ Redeemer Statue in Rio? The Statue of Liberty in New York?? Well these statues are impressive, but they aren´t a wonder. Because even the old Greeks made statues which were bigger. The colossus of Rhodes for example. And I agree with Krytos about the Sydney Opera House. It´s a cool bit of architecture, but it´s not a wonder like the pyramid. A wonder should be something of which you still ask yourself how they´d managed to build that in their time.

^this, kind of big time

I voted on this ages ago, and probably aren't allowed to do so again (I would hope not!), but this is the sort of argument that entered my mind, and why the Easter Island Statues got crossed off my list.

To be something that is truly a human endeavor, the context of it's wonder must be utterly taken into context. Yet another taller skyscraper or statue these days simply cannot match the resilience and brilliance of our ancestors who did not have the engineering means or know how that we have had within the last century or two.

Stonehenge remains a mystery, despite it's comparable simplicity to other wonders of the ancient age, in how stone age people got the stones their in the first place. The fact it is also an astronomical calculator, is also something that freaks me out.

The Easter Island statues don't impress me though, given their very construction led to their creator's destruction as a society. So what achievement was there in that? To build them they destroyed all the trees in their environment, and hence created an unsustainable habitat they couldn't survive with. And they died out. Remarkable.

I've forgotten exacly how I originally voted, but I think it included the great Pyramids, Stonehenge, Angkor, Machu Pichu, the Athenian Acropolis, which is where my memory dies..

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Why do we have to vote for new ones? The existing ones are no less impressive (though some of them haven't existed for thousands of years). Why don't we just add to the list? Who ever said there could only be seven?

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

I voted the last one, but then changed my mind, so I'll say it here: No. I don't see a point to having to name anything a World Wonder, much less the number seven.

In any event, if anyone is interesting, there are numerous categories of World Wonders: Natural-World, Man-Made, Ancient, Western Civilization (Western), Modern-World, etc. Nothing truly significant to this, or at least I believe...

Edited by SOCL

In any event, if anyone is interesting, there are numerous categories of World Wonders: Natural-World, Ma-Made, Ancient, Western Civilization (Western), Modern-World, etc. Nothing truly significant to this, or at least I believe...

In the Ma-Made category; my Ma makes the best darn Bar-B-Q ever. She starts by slow roasting a nice juicey chuck roast, then shredding the meat when it's done. In the meantime, she's got all the ingredients for the sauce on the stove simmering away (with an occasional stir here and there). When it's time, mix the sauce and meat. Dig in! Hmmm, hmmm good! :D

I'm sure everybody has at least one good item from the Ma-made category :wink: What's yours?

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

My mom makes the most outrageous chicken catchatori in the world. She would throw chicken, mushrooms, onions, and carrots into a pot with tomato sauce and wine. It would simmer for hours, so when its done the chicken comes right off the bone. Then you slap some of the sauce ontop of mashed potato. Thats good eating.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

that hilarious.. my mom makes amazing pork chops... but anyways... i just thought... why the hell weren't the Nazca Lines a choice?... i think those deserve at least a nomination.. definately over the statue of liberty..