Computer savvy people needed!

SOCL

Alright, fellows, remember how I had been complaining about my computer and it's all its not-cool-ness? Well, I decided to go a bit drastic and reformatted the Hard Drive (HD). I followed this up with a reinstallation of Windows XP, all the software and drivers previously installed by DELL, as well as Microsoft Office. Next, I fixed my wireless connection, and went online where I downloaded all the updates for Windows through all the latest updates for Service Pack 2. I also downloaded Internet Explorer 7 (I know many of you might disagree with that last one, but I'm not very computer savvy, so I stick with easy-to-use matters...). Anyway, throughout this process, I noticed something strange that had never happened, not even when my computer had been full of spyware and adware...

Basically, whenever I come across something with a scroll bar, the page scrolls terribly slow--and I mean REALLY slow! This isn't just on the Internet, either, but for anything with a side scroll bar, including Word documents, Excel worksheets--everything! Again, this never happened before, so it's probably something I missed or messed up on along the way in reformatting the HD. I mean, everything else works fantastic and I have some new, up-to-date anti-virus/spyware/adware software on the computer which works perfectly on my dad's computer, yet his doesn't have the problem while scrolling.

To describe it, I would say it almost looks as though the computer doesn't have enough memory to keep up, but this doesn't make sense (at least to me) because my computer has 768 MB of RAM, and again, it never happened before when I had all of that outdated and messed up stuff on the HD. As you can imagine, I'm quite frustated as I thought reformatting the HD would fix all of these problems, and yet something always happens to screw with me...

Let me describe the scrolling a little better. You see, when I used to scroll down before the reformat, it would just move down like normal, but now it's choppy. It almost seems like the computer is having to reload the page every time it scrolls. Does this make sense?

Well, if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it! Once I fix that, I promise to be around more often.

Ok SOCL, here we go again. ;)

My offer is still actual. Make a HijackThis-Scan and send me the log or post it in this thread. It sounds like you´ve got either too many processes running on you pc or you´ve got a virus or worm.

What kind of firewall do you have in use? The windows-firewall? If yes, download Zone-Alarm, install it and deactivate the windows-firewall. Because you have to be very firm with computers to make this (sucking) firewall youre pc save from attacks. Zone-Alarm is much easier to use and saver. Allthough there´s no 100 % savety garantied. ;)

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Ok SOCL, here we go again. ;)

My offer is still actual. Make a HijackThis-Scan and send me the log or post it in this thread. It sounds like you´ve got either too many processes running on you pc or you´ve got a virus or worm.

What kind of firewall do you have in use? The windows-firewall? If yes, download Zone-Alarm, install it and deactivate the windows-firewall. Because you have to be very firm with computers to make this (sucking) firewall youre pc save from attacks. Zone-Alarm is much easier to use and saver. Allthough there´s no 100 % savety garantied. ;)

As you command, sir. Um...where do I download these devices? :?

You can download it here. After that you open it, than click on the button bellow "none of the above just start the program", make a scan and save the log in a text-file, mark it all and copy the log in this thread or send it to me by a pm.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 01:12:30 PM, on 2006-12-10

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe

C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe

C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe

C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe

C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

C:\Program Files\Ruckus Player\Ruckus.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\DOCUME~1\Omar\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis[1].zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

O2 - BHO: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL

O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [updateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe /server /startmonitor /deaf

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll

O11 - Options group: [iNTERNATIONAL] International*

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1165711686786

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

You have a lot of wireless processes running. What's your manager?

Also, did you download the latest drivers for your graphics card?

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

Unless you have Itune, this should not be there, and even if you do, it just messes with windows machines by eating up CPU time.

Disregarding all new evidence everywhere.

Yes, indeed, malarkie is right! This process should be deleted. As far as I know you can´t deinstall it without having serious problems on your computer. Just try to deinstall ITunes and if all works fine, don´t update your player again. Because BonjourService will be installed than again. :? I found something else wich is called "TurnoffBonjour.exe". That´s a program wich deinstalls Bonjour. But I won´t give any guaranties if it works, because I´ve never tried it.

And as malarkie just mentioned, look at all these processes wich are in use and deactivate those you don´t really need.

About updating programms: Allways think about if it´s really necessary if some programs like ITunes for example should be updated as long as they work.

I went to Add/Remove in my Control Panel and took out Bonjour. Is that what you meant when you said iTunes? :? Because I don't have an iPod, much less iTunes... :?

I understand the ending certain processes which are not necessary, but I haven't the slightest idea which are, especially since they all say "certain programmes won't work correctly...blah blah blah" every time I end a process.

Of interest, certain websites like Google (and all associated ones like Gmail and Google searches), as well as the HijackThis website work perfectly fine, yet all others are still a pain, including this one...

I do have Microsoft Firewall, but where do I go to get the one you were talking about, Eagle?

Where do you check to see how is my Wireless manager? I moused-over my wireless connection icon in the QuickLaunch and it says: IntelPROSet/Wireless. Is that what you're talking about?

And how can I tell whether I have downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card? :? Where would I go?

Sorry for all the questions, but as most of you know, I am basically computer-technicalities illiterate... Thanks for all the help, too! :D

You can download the ZoneAlarm Firewall here. Do just download ZoneAlarm, it´s for free, the others aren´t.

What´s up to graphic drivers that depends on which one is in use. Normally it´s either one of ATI or one of NVidia. Check their websites for the latest drivers. Just tell how it is called.

Just deactivate processes which aren´t system processes. You can deactivate all processes as long as your pc is still working correctly.;) Otherwise you have to restart and leave that process alone for the future.

Check if this Bonjour-thing is really deinstalled. Because I´ve heard about that it isn´t easy or it´s even impossible to deinstall it.

I can´t say anything about any wireless-manager because I´ve never used them. Maybe malarkie can explain that.

I know you like the easy use of the Iexplorer but it isn´t save. So think about it to use the Mozilla or the Opera Browser. They are also easy to use and much saver. I have them in use and I only take the Iexplorer just when it´s really necessary, for windows updates for example.

I would download ZoneAlarm firewall, but it's all in German... Not to say I have a particular problem with that, but I'm worried I'd never know what was happening and be unable to truly use it. Is there an English version, perhaps?

I checked Bonjour and it seems to be completely gone, and I've already restarted my computer since I first deleted it. :)

Still, despite all of that, the scrolling problem persists... :?

Of interest, my computer originally only came with 256MB of RAM, but I later upgraded with 500MB of RAM more. At first I thought this might be the issue, but my computer functioned perfectly fine back before I reformatted it with the extra RAM... Is there perhaps something I'm supposed to activate or something...? :?

Also, since I reformatted, it seems I'm missing some drivers for the shut down. Basically, "Stand by" is no longer an option. :? Thoughts?

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! :D

Well, actually, I owe a great deal to my dad. We just started doing Google searches for "scrolling slow after reformat" and "slow scrolling reformat" and he found a webpage where a fellow had the exact same problem. As it turns out, all I had to do was download my catalyst (ATI) drivers and BAM! It's all fixed! Scrolling is smooth and I've literally popped a cork on a bottle of campagne in celebration! :lol:

Damn, I hate computers. :roll:

Thanks for all the help!

And, yes, I realize you had pointed out the drivers before, malarkie, but it hadn't made any sense to me--specifically, I didn't know what you had meant. But I owe you and Eagle a great deal of gratitude!

Congrats on getting things working again SOCL :)

Drivers can be a pain in the ... butt.

Oh, and as for using IE7, you've got one supporter at least :wink:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

I would download ZoneAlarm firewall, but it's all in German... Not to say I have a particular problem with that, but I'm worried I'd never know what was happening and be unable to truly use it. Is there an English version, perhaps?

I checked Bonjour and it seems to be completely gone, and I've already restarted my computer since I first deleted it. :)

Of interest, my computer originally only came with 256MB of RAM, but I later upgraded with 500MB of RAM more. At first I thought this might be the issue, but my computer functioned perfectly fine back before I reformatted it with the extra RAM... Is there perhaps something I'm supposed to activate or something...? :?

Also, since I reformatted, it seems I'm missing some drivers for the shut down. Basically, "Stand by" is no longer an option. :? Thoughts?

Did you go here?

Did you go here?

8O

No, I hadn't. Thank you! :)

There's nothing wrong with IE7, works great for me.

I would highlight the processes from hijack this and copy paste them into google and find the neuber result. It tells you what the process is and if it is safe to shut down.

If you don't want that process back, run msconfig and go to services or start up to shut it down, but only if you're sure.

I´m so sorry about that. I first went to a international site which was of course in english. When I clicked on the Link for the firewall I was sent to that site shown above. I´ve just thought that my IP was identified as german so this would happen to you too and the site would be shown in english, but it didn´t. :?

You can turn this on again under the energy-option (don´t know how it is called in the englisch windows-version :oops: ).

There's nothing wrong with IE7

There are still lots of security-gaps. Of course there are some in Mozilla and Opera too, but most of the attacks of hackers or worms are made for the Iexplorer.

You can turn this on again under the energy-option (don´t know how it is called in the englisch windows-version :oops: ).

Problem solved. Not sure what did it, but it's complete.

There are still lots of security-gaps. Of course there are some in Mozilla and Opera too, but most of the attacks of hackers or worms are made for the Iexplorer.

Likely because of the amount of users on Explorer.

On the firewall site, what do I click? :? I couldn't figure out where to go to get the firewall on the English site.

I have enough security programs on my PC that if anything got through Iwould be quite impressed with the hacker who did.

But your right, I should switch to something more sexy.

On the firewall site, what do I click? :? I couldn't figure out where to go to get the firewall on the English site.

Click here for the free home use only download :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Click here for the free home use only download :wink:

Only because your avatar makes me laugh. :wink: Thanks!

You know, I'm using ZoneAlarm, but it has slowed my Internet down a lot. :? And it's a little annoying to have to tell it to allow everything either access or no access. :? I'll keep trying it out, though...

I'm also now using Firefox, but many of the graphics and webpages seem to run a little a slower than they did with IE7. Is this perhaps merely a setting? Or perhaps the time it's taking for Firefox to get adjusted? :?

If you type "Make Firefox Faster" into Google you'll find an article on some simple modifications you can make with the Firefox config to make it run faster on broadband. Here's it is:

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up: 1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries: network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading. 2. Alter the entries as follows: Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true" Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true" Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once. 3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

I'm doing a side-by-side test now between IE7 and FireFox, giving FireFox the benefit by clicking to load a page there before IE7 and still IE7 loads faster... :? And I did the modifications you posted, GAT. :? Maybe it's just me...

Any how, no matter. I'll keep playing with FireFox. If it starts driving me crazy, I'll just switch back. :)

EDIT: Oh, and it took away all the dividers here on SWR... :? Very strange... :?

Wow, I just loaded the page in IE for the first time... I didn't even know those dividers were there!

I think that IE7 is a great improvement over its predecessors. The only reason I use Firefox is for security.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Wow, I just loaded the page in IE for the first time... I didn't even know those dividers were there!

I think that IE7 is a great improvement over its predecessors. The only reason I use Firefox is for security.

:lol: Yeah, that's why I'm using it. It's working out pretty well, and I especially like the Facebook toolbar I downloaded.