Who is better?

CaptainKirk

Who is better?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Kirk
    • Piccard

Why isn't Vader on the list? :P Erm, Piccard, primarily because he's the only one I've ever seen... And his sentances aren't segmented every three words... Oh my gosh, J.H. is Kirk!

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Well, what can I say; I'm an old timer whose seen them all. Of course I have to vote for Kirk, he set the standard for space naval commanders of the future. Picard, although a good captain in his own right, is only continuing in the footsteps of those before him. TOS didn't have all of the graphical special effects as STNG, but yet had such a following to keep the genre going until it was revived with movies & new TV series. Impressive!

At least Gene Roddenberry didn't suffer from delusions of grandeur like Lucas, and try to re-make everything and change everything show-to-show or movie-to-movie (well, there were minor changes here or there, i.e. Klingon makeup)

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Like Tex I am an old timer and loved the original Star Trek. I also must admit to disliking the other series as I didn't enjoy them as much as the original series, especially making everyone friendly to each other - yech :evil: . I am a warmonger (I am an Imperial Grand Moff :twisted: ) and prefered the original series Cold War like setting. - Grand Moff Conway

• SWR Staff - Executive

Sorry, I'm a relative newbie to Star Trek. I'm not old enough to appreciate the work of Shatner as Kirk. :)

I really liked Voyager and some of TNG.. mostly when involving the Borg or Q. Enterprise was off and on, though the last season I felt had good stuff. Too bad it was cancelled. I care very little for the utopian social messages that Star Trek tries to imply, esp when it is rather overt. I just want to escape into the scifi, I'd watch a family drama if I wanted such social commentary.

Anyway, here's to the next Star Trek movie! Hope it won't be so bad as the latest ones. I thought First Contact was good, but the others.. bad bad.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Anyway, here's to the next Star Trek movie! Hope it won't be so bad as the latest ones. I thought First Contact was good, but the others.. bad bad.

Agreed. Star Trek Universe has so much to offer, still they can't make a proper movie out of it these days. Patrick Stewart was here in Hungary after the last Trek movie was released. We didn't even had it in cinemas, as it was so bad.

As people asked about the movie, he answered " This whole Star Trek thing needs a rest for some time." He agreed that it was crap.

A curious poll that ultimately I don't really think has a meaningful answer (not to knock anyone in saying that! :) ) I say this, because at the moment on Saturday afternoons one of the BBC channels over here is showing one episode of the original Star Trek followed by two episodes of ST: TNG, all back to back; and given London was bombarded with a fairly violent thunderstorm when they were on, I had no choice but to watch all three back to back.

With relation to this thread, what struck me with the original Star Trek with Kirk, Bones, and Spock, etc, was how it reminded me of when I first watched it back in the seventies. I loved it then because it was about all the Sci-Fi we had! Sure we had Doctor Who, and a few other things, but not much more than what you count on one hand's fingers with space and star ships with any real quality, which made it so special. And given the genre hadn't really been done before, Star Trek seemed utterly brilliant for TV. Captain Kirk was ace, as was the marvelously diverse other main characters representing a united Earth of the future; Checkov, Uhura, Spock, Bones, Scottie, etc; made in a decade when when our little planet really was in the throws of the cold war. So as a concept, even whilst still being watched by me at least as a kid in the seventies, the idea that we eventually stop squabbling and sort things out to venture off into the 'last frontier' together was utterly ace.

Then joy of joys, out comes The Next Generation! Like Woo or what back at the time, when ever it was. Quality Sci-Fi was still amazingly scant at the time, and to have basically the original thing of the genre resurrected with the latest special effects, relative budget, etc, was excellent. But best of all was that it was brilliantly written! Sure it took some getting use to to not seeing Picard having a fist fight with some alien or anybody for that matter doing much rushing about, the plots were intelligent and the casting superb! Patrick Stewert is a shakespearean trained actor, the genius in casting him! The rest of the TNG cast were pretty good and diverse as the original series as well I reckon, so I don't really think there can be a comparison between Kirk and Picard ultimately.

All things considered, I reckon they shined, or still shine, with respect to their respective era's. I've enjoyed all of it over the years.

Anyway, now i've bored everyone to death with my mumblings; a little something I made this afternoon I guess is more or less related to the subject:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDxAuMUtN5ly!yrc96gv7KUQc5vRKQqL4Y08yvpcjPlUSBBjok6CAFgKZHOpMeZmo4NXPTNhkkWF*lzwXYfovupRdxRtr!Hbtk2x1KblmE/troi_CORR.jpg

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Bored shiteless with the survey of Arcturus Prime

Lieutenant Smith and Ensign Brooks cracked open a few ales and decided to make their transmissions more interesting for the Federation..

Click for the Mildly NSFW

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Why isn't Vader on the list? :P Erm, Piccard, primarily because he's the only one I've ever seen... And his sentances aren't segmented every three words... Oh my gosh, J.H. is Kirk!

:lol: thats... very funny... Tofu... oh god... why cant i... stop talking like this... hehehehe :)

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

I would have to agree that Picard is the better of the two captains. Maybe it's the fact that I grew up with TNG... or the fact that I simply can't stand TOS.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

why? because he got all the chicks while constantly getting all his new recruits killed? And yet, when he did make it to Admiral he was so great they had to demote him back to Captain??

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg