New major

Darth_Rob

I was majoring in Adolescent Education with a concentration in social studies. But I've been having second thoughts about it over the last few weeks. I wasn't able to see myself as a teacher anymore. So, after much deliberation and whatnot, I've decided to change my major. Rather than study to be a teacher, I am now officially majoring in history (concentration in American history), with a minor in mass communications. This will allow me to do much more interesting work. As a teacher, I teach the class what I have to teach, and what New York State deems is worthy of a child's knowledge. With this new degree, I can work with any aspect of history I want at the time, whether it be a documentary on the Civil War, or a journal article on Classical Greece. My career will thus be very diversified, and I will constantly be doing something new.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. yes.. i agree with Mad here. You must be happy with what you choose to do in life... anyways.. so what did this do to your projected graduation date rob? How far along were you in your major? Were you far enough along that you are basically voiding two semesters? two years? or were you still in basics and it didnt impact you that much?.... just curious..

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

Well in actuality, I'll be done sooner with this new major than if I had stayed in education. I hadn't even started any education classes yet because that particular major required me to get "core classes" out of the way first. So I would have still had to take several more history classes, all of the required education classes, and then there's the student teaching. But I took 3 of my history courses this semester, so I'm a good chunk down the road. I should be done in 2 years (this is my junior semester, so I should be done on time).

My Website

I can't see myself as a teacher.

Niether can I. There would be a great number of small children scarred for life by you. "What awe you fow Hawoween, teachow?"

"Why, I'm Silent Bob. Have you ever seen any of Silent Bob's films, Timmy?"

"No..."

"Well, you're in luck! Gather 'round, class- we're having a film day, today! Let's start out with 'Clerks I' and work our way through all of Silent Bob's films!"

Or better yet, the alternative:

"What awe you fow Hawoween, teachow?"

"..."

:lol::lol::lol: Just some good-natured shattering of your hopes and dreams, Rob. :wink:

So what does a History major get to do? Scrape bones? Read lots of musty old books? Check out old battlefields for spare bullets? What?

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Let me guess SOCL. YOu would have taken "Roman history" :wink:
How did you guess? :wink:

By the way, Mad, your signature seems to be shagged...

So what does a History major get to do? Scrape bones? Read lots of musty old books? Check out old battlefields for spare bullets? What?
Most of that is archaeological work. We mostly read and write analysis and essays. It's quite fun. :roll:

The minor in mass communications will help me to do what SOCL said. I'll read and write. But it will also allow me to possibly get some work on documentaries and other stuff of that nature. The mass communications courses are the likes of video editing, there are like three classes on filming, that kinda stuff.

Anywho, figured out my courseload for next semester:

Writing for Radio, TV, and Film

The French Revolution and Napoleon

Understanding Mass Communication

Comparitive and International Politics

The US Since WWII

My Website

i couldnt imagine getting my degree in history... i mean.. i watch the history channel.. i like history... just not
that much... :lol: i would probably fall asleep in most my classes if i were majoring in history.. :lol:

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

i couldnt imagine getting my degree in history... i mean.. i watch the history channel.. i like history... just not
that much... :lol: i would probably fall asleep in most my classes if i were majoring in history.. :lol:

Well' date=' not all history is action packed like a Hollywood movie. Napolean was a very interesting guy, and some of his "battle tactics" were quite ingenius. I saw a documentary on one particular battle somewhere in Austria (I guess) during the winter against the Russian army. The Russians occupied a hill on the battlefield with a good overlooking view of everything, and Napolean wanted that hill! So, he took another hill (not quite so high) off to their side. He defended that hill like crazy from the Russians. They (the Russians) decided Napolean knew something and he really needed that hill, so they were determined to take it from him (Napolean could really care less about the hill, he just wanted the "other" hill). When the Russians went for the mass attack on Napolean, he started retreating (on purpose). Secretly, he sent half his forces under the cover of darkness to mount an attack on the "high hill". When the first part of the battle concluded, the Russians had taken Napolean's hill, but he had now taken the "high hill". And then with the cannons he brought along, he decimated the Russians on their "new" hill. The Russian Imperial guard counter attacked and were effectively wiped out. As the Russians retreated, Napolean continually hounded them. The Russians were forced to cross a frozen lake or face capture by the French Army. As they crossed the frozen lake, Napolean had the lake shelled by cannon, causing most of the Russian Army to drown.

He was quite the genius. I just hoped I recounted that correctly (my copy of that [i']old[/i] newspaper is seriously "yellow" and some of the ink is fading. I think it cost 1 cent at the time :lol::wink: )

Keep up the faith Rob! It's always nice to have options.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Well, not all history is action packed like a Hollywood movie. Napolean was a very interesting guy, and some of his "battle tactics" were quite ingenius. I saw a documentary on one particular battle.....babels off into the distance

I never said it wouldnt be interesting... and Im sure Napolean has his moments.. along with that french revolution.. but im just saying im not sure if i could take a whole semester of a specific detail in history.. such as The French Revolution and Napoleon. For me.. the quick overview i had in high school and in college was good enough.. for me.. for school.. for a class.... i prefer watching my hour specials on the history channel thank you very much... instead of having to sit still for an hour and a half.. (possibly).. listen intently, take notes, and get tested later.. thats all i was trying to get across.. not that history wasnt interesting.. or important... cuz it is very much both...

Well, I had to take quite a few classes outside the US. I was gonna take one on the history of Canada, but I saw the professor who was teaching it and decided to pass (the guy is a true nut-ball). I really wanted to take one they had on the indiginous peoples of Latin America before the Conquistodors came, but that was a night class, and I unfortunatly work nights. There was one on Japan, but also at nights. Everything else was scary.So I said "Napoleon shouldn't be so bad, GOSH!"

And with the minor in mass communications, instead of writing papers and taking tests, I do group and solo projects a lot! So that will take a load off with my history classes.

My Website

I never said it wouldnt be interesting... and Im sure Napolean has his moments.. along with that french revolution.. but im just saying im not sure if i could take a whole semester of a specific detail in history..
Funny because this has been the first semester I have not taken a class which explicitly covers a single, very specific topic...and it's driving me ABSOLUTELY NUTS! :x

@Tex: You beat me to it! Well, not that specific aspect of Napoleon and the French Revolution, but I was going to mention that history holds a great many interesting tid-bits. For instance, Abraham Lincoln (The sixteenth American president for any foreigners who don't know) launched a proposition he quite liked to his cabinet. The seven members (At the time) all hated it, and voted "nay" on the issue.

Lincoln then supposedly said, "Seven 'nay's, one 'aye.' The 'aye's have it." And promptly left the room. :lol:

12/14/07

So I'm not the only one to recently change majors. My switch was a bit more drastic than your's though, Rob. I just recently switched from Mechanical Engineering to Psychology.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

That is very drastic... Though i guess in both cases you tinker with some thing. In one with engines in the with peoples minds. :twisted:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Wow... that must be a hurtful change there Mitth.. how far were you in your classes?... maybe could you get a minor still?.. may come in use...

no offense here mitth... but we had a joke in my engineering school that i thought i would share.. being that you skipped some steps... Now, for those of you who are in or taken Calculus you will understand.. unfortunately its a lot easier if you see it.. but.. i will type it..

Yes.. im using ' as prime.. for the derivative.. and ME is mechanical engineering EE is electrical and CE is civil.... ok so..

ME' = EE

EE' = CE

CE' = Psychology

hehehe.. get it?

And i just wanted to share this one with you for fun...

A man was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and said: "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess".

He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up again and said: "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will stay with you for one week."

The man took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out: "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you and do ANYTHING you want". Again the man took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket.

Finally, the frog asked: "What is the matter ? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess, that I'll stay with you for a week and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me ?"

The man said, "Look I'm a software engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog is cool."

Engineering jokes are fun- I will warn you, Mitth, here is the advice my father (a civil engineer) would give to you:

An engineering major says, "How does that work?"

A buisness management major says, "Why is that working?"

A psychology major says, "Would you like fries with that?"

Not saying that you can't get a good job with that major, (It was my sister's, and she's doing fine... Even though she switched majors and now has a job with nothing to do with those majors) just that you might want to think about where that puts you down the road.

*Shrugs* It's ultimately your choice.

12/14/07

I switched because for the past 5+ years people have been coming to me w/ their problems. Thus far I've been able to help, however, it's becoming increasingly difficult. I decided that because I'm quite certain things aren't going to change I might as well figure out what it is I'm doing. Getting paid is just a bonus. And Tofu, when I told my grandpa about it, he said much the same thing.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

...when I told my grandpa about it, he said much the same thing.

As most engineers would... well all the ones ive had the pleasure of meeting... I'm one of the few that says: "You know what man?.. Follow your heart no matter where it takes you.. as long as you are happy with what you are doing.. you'll be a-ok." So yea.. same goes for you Mitth... maybe its because my brother is a psychology/philosophy (Double Major) graduate.. or that I am actually interested in psychology myself.. i think its cool that you are going towards that.. and dont let anyone stop you..

Speaking of academics, I just registered for classes for next semester. I normally get all the classes I want (not that I'm spoiled or anything... :roll: ), but because of my transfer, I am still classified as a sophomore; had I remained at my old university (there's a laugh!), I would be going into my first semester of my senior year... In any event, I was able to get the following classes of interest:

Art History 311 Design of Cities: Rome
    History 300 Historical Methods and Studies of Urban and Suburban America

I have other classes, of course, but those are of interest.

Also, I am waiting responses on getting into:

Art History 420 Augustan Era Roman Art
    History 635 Alexander the Great

The latter-most is a graduate course. :D

Just thought I'd share...