Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:28 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

Over all, I didnt find the movie hugelly enticing to me, but it was enjoyable so maybe I'll have a read of the books some time?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:58 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

GI Joe was a blast - futuristic weapon technology, awesome action scenes, and what-else ninjas...
Couldn't say I was a fan of the series, now I am. :)

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.
- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:50 am 
<!-- Admiral -->

That's good to hear; I used to play with the action figures back in the day, so I figured I'd go see the movie eventually. I've been worried it would be an idiotic movie, but sounds like they might have pulled it off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:55 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

Good news! I was a fan of the figures too, also loved the cartoon. And ninjas... go figure :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:28 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

Lucky. We didn't have cable back in the day, so I never got to see the cartoons. Though I suppose I could probably find them online nowadays... something tells me it just wouldn't be the same.

And few things in life are better than ninjas. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:04 am 
<!-- Raporan Dark Lord //-->

Cool that means I will have to check out the movie. It looked already rather tempting when I saw the trailers.

I saw Brüno the other day... All i can say it that I didn't think it was possible to go further than Borat did and yet Sasha Baron Cohen did. Just thought I'd warn you guys.

Click here is you like Trance

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:23 am 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

District 9... just saw it and I don't know. I can't say I really liked it or hated it. It's certainly a unique movie.
Maybe its because I generally don't like the documentary-style movies. Or that the film lacks a final resolution. Don't know whether to recommend it or not
The rated R is appropriate though... don't bring your kids/wife/weak-stomached. Body parts fly and people get vaporized.

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.
- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 am 
<!--n00b//-->

Odd- a bunch of folks I know saw it last week and said it was great. I didn't watch it with them, but they claimed that it was "perfect."

I finally saw Fanboys. It was a decent movie, but not quite so nerdy as I would've enjoyed. Some of the humor was just there for the nerds (Ray Park's cameo, Carrie Fischer (sp?) saying that she 'knew' Bottley loved her, etc.), but the majority of it was silly poop and wee-wee jokes. It had its moments, and it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't break it out above two and a half, maybe three stars.

Though I do give props for the best closing line in movie history. :lol: If you know what it is, you ought to be laughing right now, too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:58 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

Double post bump- I saw Inglorius Bastaerds, or however you misspell it last night. I jumped in around Chapter 2, and nearly vomited at one point. I'd not recommend the film; the entire thing is more violent than anything I've ever seen, and it's just plain disgusting numerous times. The scene that won't go away is when Brad Pitt sticks his finger in a bullet-wound in someone's leg. I couldn't sleep for a good solid hour after seeing that.

All of the Nazis are pitiable, and are shown none. They talk about wanting to go hug their mother, or about how they have to live, because they just had a son, and the troops just laugh at them and slaughter them. It isn't the black-and-white, good-and-evil stuff that you generally see when Nazis are involved; it was quite the opposite, with the Jews as, I hate to say it, the bad guys, really. The movie is sick, twisted, and wrong. I strongly advise you not to see it. I almost threw up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:21 am 

... I actually really want to see that movie now! :twisted:
Tarantino is one of these directors you have to be able to tolerate. And I tend to love his stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:08 am 

Double post to quickly talk about a few movies I saw in the last few days.

The Black Cauldron: I kind of remembered hearing of this movie when i was in primary school but its only now that I finally got to see it. I must say i was rather disappointed for a disney.
The movie had the perfect ingredients: a young heroic wannabe knight, a maiden, a very evil wizard, ... And yet it just felt shallow. I don't really know what it was but it all seemed rushed and unfinished. Maybe they just bit of more than they could chew and spat it out half-finished but I think the span of the story would have allowed two films and maybe also a more interesting epic.

Citizen Kane: The name says it all. Voted several times best movie of all times I can, now that I've seen it, fully agree. Its perfect balance between humor and drama, the amazing photography, brilliant acting,... You can't describe Citizen Kane. You just NEED to see it.

Star Trek (2009): I heard alot about this and was really waiting to see it. Now I have and I can only say one thing:
I LOVED IT! At last a Star Trek movie which can appeal to the masses and isn't a side product off one the multiple series. The movie manages to catch the essence of what was good in ST and present it in a brilliant form along with good acting and effects. Alot of the things I liked were actually little details such as the presence of turrets on the ships. At last the audience could actually see where phasers were coming from instead of just seeing a laser appearing out of nowhere on the hull. I also liked the general overhaul of the look of the ships. They feel right and much less "it needs to look modern without it costing money".
All in all a brilliant movie and one i woiuld recommend to anyone.

The Mad: I noticed this little film while surfing about Wikipedia and decided to give it a look. The premise is a Zombie invasion due to bad meat. Strange, i agree. But you don't watch this movie for a story but for the most amusing acts of the main cast which included Billy Zane. I won't say much more. this is an amusing horror comedy which is quite worth a rent if you looking for a good laugh and a bit of originality in the Z-movie genre.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:35 am 

BUMP!

Got to see Transformers: the Return of the Fallen the other day. It has all the ingredients of a summer blockbuster. Hot women, cars, expensive sfx and Shia Leboeuf. All in all it was fun though I still don't like the main actor. The story was okay but pretty far fetched but in the end who cares!?`The only reason you go and see these movies are for the actions scenes which I must say were impressive but not that different from the first one.
So if you liked the first one it may be worth renting this but otherwise I don't consider you obsolutely need to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:11 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

Foreign film time: I watched two recently.

The first is a Chinese film, To Live, written and directed by the same guy who did the Chinese Olympics. While not bad, it wasn't exactly what I'd call a great film. It's sort of like a Chinese Forest Gump, except that the main character stays in the same province of China for pretty much the entire movie. It covers from the Communist Revolution into some of Mao Ze Dong's programs, including the Great Leap Forward, and the 100 Flowers Movement. It portrays communism negatively at times, and for that it was apparently banned in mainland China, despite the overall positive outlook on communism.

The second film is Korean, called Welcome to Dongmakgol. I think this may be my favorite foreign film ever. Even watching it with subtitles, I found myself moved and stirred by it all over the place. It takes place in the 50s, during the Korean War, and follows three North Korean soldiers, two South Korean soldiers, and a US Airman who was shot down. All three groups come to a small village, Dongmakgol, which has never known war, or much of the outside world at all. It's a happy, innocent place, and it manages to infect them all, to the point where they put aside all of their differences. There's a heck of a lot more to it than that, but it really does get pretty serious and wonderful; I'd compare it a bit to Crash, in those high tension moments followed by moments where you just feel such joy for the characters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:00 am 

So Yesterday i got to see "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" and I can say that was one the most challenging movies for my suspension of disbelief I have ever seen. The amount of top secret gigantic underground facilities is just so immense that in the end its just not believable.
The plot is mild and not all that interesting. More of an excuse to get the main characters from one fight to the next lair and then to the next fight.
The Acting wasn't tremendous either though i did like Damon (sp?) Wayans performance. It seemed to be the only one which was "in place" since all the other ones were terribly serious and just didn't go well with the ridiculous backdrop.
But the big selling point of this film were the special effects and i must say they are good. Not the best ever but certainly a very good effort.
In the end you are entertained and that is the point of th film. Stuff the dumb story and cheesy acting. If you are going to see the movie you want to see fights and action and i can certainly say that on that point "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" delivers the goods.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:53 am 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

I watched GI Joe last week, and I didnt think it was half bad. It is important to note that I never watched the series or had the toys growing up (I was into other franchises, and for some reason never got into it) so its not like I had expectations or hopes for it. While I agree that it was ridiculously over the top in terms of technology, that didnt bother me so much. I felt that the story was decent, making the movie itself "decent". Its not a movie I would want to watch again anytime soon, or that I want to go out and buy it on DVD now, but I dont regret watching it.

My Website

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next