Current/Recent World Conflicts thread.

Defender_16

That is horrible. Tensions have been mounting for a long time between Russia and Georgia. It was only a matter of time. Hopefully they can come to some sort of peace agreement swiftly to end this.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russia wants Washington to mediate, and Georgia is pushing for the US to support them (Georgia) with military aid. I think it's a distinct possibility that the United States will mediate this one.

Though it'll suck if the invasion managed to take advantage of the current administration's "lame duck" status.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

We dont need another war in Europe!! But Im very careful in believing the propaganda of each side. Im pretty sure the EU wont do anything against it, because they want Russias gas. :?
Who cares at all?! :roll:

Guest Scathane
I don't really understand it, what's of value in Tibet?
How about the fact that Tibet is covered by the highest mountain range in the world and forms a buffer between China and other parts of the east (India, Russia etc.)? If you ask me, both the military strategic and tactical value of Tibet is enormous...

I dont know but can anybody give me a good reason why US troops are in Georgia possibly facing russian troops 18 years after the cold war ended?? Dont tell me they belong to the "alliance of the willing" like Usbekistan etc. :roll:

We aren't involved... yet. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25684774/

Edit: So I probably should have known this before, but oh well. The 2,000 Georgian troops in Iraq got there via (bum-bada-bum!) American troop transport planes. To get back home, they'd have to take (bum-bada-bum!) American troop transport planes. Thus, if the US goes ahead and honors the Georgians's request that their troops be delivered back home, we're essentially delivering fighting forces into Georgia, which the Russians can, should they so choose, interpret as an act of war.

Edited by DarthTofu

12/14/07

Oh...I didnt see that it was "training exercises". I hope Russia and Georgia can defuse this before our troops there become active. One foreign war is more than enough.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

Russia says: Choose them or us.

I'm not liking this one bit... :| This is making me support McCain a bit more than I did before, primarily because he has foreign policy experience that's going to be critical.

That being said, I'm not sure we want to get involved here. Sure, just about everyone is ticked at the Russians, but the way our country is standing by Georgia, I'm afraid that the US may or may not go "lone ranger" in getting into a war with the Russians.

By the same token, I'm not sure that we want to just let Russia get away with taking over Georgia and, potentially, Ukraine. This may well explain why the Russian government opposed Georgia or Ukraine joining NATO so vehemently- if they'd gotten in and the Russians had attacked, they would have had to deal with a heck of a lot more resistance immediately due to the treaty. As it stands, they don't.

With regards to kicking Georgia out of the G8... I don't know about that. Then again, I'm still having some difficulty grasping just what, exactly, the G8 does that's of any benefit to the countries involved. It appears to just lay down rules and regulations, but this is all based on a Wikipedia article that I'm reading. Anybody know what the deal is with it and care to enlighten me some?

12/14/07

• 2 weeks later...
The russians still seem to avoid to fully pull back their troops to russian ground. Some troops still will be left in South-Osetia and in Abchasia. IMO it was also a wrong step to sign the treaty with poland about that rocket shield system. It provoked just much more anger on the russian side instead to try to calm em all down.