Books

Guest Scathane

Guest Scathane

What book are you reading/have you read recently?

I'm currently enjoying Are You Experienced? by William Suthcliffe. It's about a British guy in his twenties who decides to go travelling in India for six months... He doesn't really want to go but agrees to do so because he's joining a beautiful girl whose pants he definitely wants to get into. Of course, everything goes horribly wrong... It's hilarious... :lol:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of the H2G2 books, though I am currently immersed in 1984 (George Orwell sp?) and The Invisible Man/The Time Machine (H.G. Wells) Favorite book ever is Talion Revenant (Michael A. Stackpole)... The Harry Potter books aren't half bad either.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Currently, I'm reading Harry Turtledove's Settling Accounts: Drive to the East, the ninth book in a series where the South won the American Civil War. It's rather interesting and very well written because it goes through how the world would have been different in World War I, the 20s and 30s, and World War II. It also goes into the Nazification of the Confederacy before and during the second world war and the way Europe would have been different had Germany and Austria-Hungary (along with the USA) had won World War I.

I'm also reading the second book in the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, The Scorpion's Gate by Richard Clarke, Father's Sky by Debry Freeman, and a few others, but most of them I've set aside while I finish Turtledove's novel.

SOCL wrote:

Currently, I'm reading Harry Turtledove's Settling Accounts: Drive to the East, the ninth book in a series where the South won the American Civil War. ...

:D8):P:twisted:

Yeehaw!

Anyway, I just finished the latest Harry Potter, also two of Clive Cusslers' latest fictional techno thrillers. 8)

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Anyway, I just finished the latest Harry Potter

Poor soul, you don't have much time for reading, do you? I finished the thing in about three days... I did nothing but read it just about.

12/14/07

I'm currently about 7/8 of the way through The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy. Chronologically it is the last book in the Jack Ryan series. I recommend all of Clancy's books. Cussler is also a good author. If you like either of those authors I would also recommend Nelson DeMill (not sure of spelling...). Another good one is Wilbur Smith.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

SOCL wrote:

Currently, I'm reading Harry Turtledove's Settling Accounts: Drive to the East, the ninth book in a series where the South won the American Civil War. ...

:D8):P:twisted:

Yeehaw!

Um... :? I'm not really reading it because I wish the South had won... More out of curiosity since Turtledove is has a doctorate in history and so, accordingly, his alternative history account must be somewhat believable...

I recommend all of Clancy's books.
I used to read a lot of Clancy books back in the day, but got bored and annoyed with his over-specification concerning military hardware, especially weapons. I believe it really slows down the drama and action. I also get tired of his stereotypical military characters, such as Ding Chavez who is nothing but a complete stereotype.

I personally liked the Netforce books... Granted they were my first Clancy books, but I still read the bulk of 'em and enjoyed 'em... I have the Gremlin and the Kremlin... Must start it...

12/14/07

That's fair SOCL. My recommendation is still out there.
Wait, wait, but my criticism was too angry-sounding. I should give credit where credit is due and, though the latest ones not so much, Clancy has an ability in military fiction with whom most people can't even compete. Further, most of his books are very enjoyable and easy to read as long as you don't care about understanding every acronym he throws out. I especially liked Rainbow Six, Patriot Games, and SSN. And despite the stereotypes he has in his stories, the novels sell better than most books among the military community.

Wait, wait, but my criticism was too angry-sounding.

Would you stop being sorry for every potentially offensive thing you say? I look up a lot of the acronyms Clancy uses, just because I'm anal in my curiosity. I'll look words I don't know up in the dictionary. I haven't read SSN, is it one of his non-fiction books?

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

• SWR Staff - Executive
SSN is a fiction book, but not involving Jack Ryan. It involves the a nuclear submarine... an SSN.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

SSN is a fiction book, but not involving Jack Ryan. It involves the a nuclear submarine... an SSN.
Yeah. It's actually a novel based off a PC game, if you believe that, but it's quite decent. It talks about the story of a submarine crew during a war between the USA and China.

Wait, wait, but my criticism was too angry-sounding.

Would you stop being sorry for every potentially offensive thing you say? I look up a lot of the acronyms Clancy uses, just because I'm anal in my curiosity. I'll look words I don't know up in the dictionary. I haven't read SSN, is it one of his non-fiction books?

You're anal in your curiosity, yet you haven't read any of the books in the Imponderables series? *Slaps Mitth with a wet fish*

12/14/07

Clancy does write great books; his problem is writing 900+ pages of story and right when the good action is ready to start, you realize there's only 10 pages left to read :evil: i.e. The Bear and The Dragon. Great story lines, only to have them end in mere pages after building the story up, up and up. What a let down; it's almost anti-climatic (go look that one up Tofu :D ).

Stephen Coontz writes some good stories (a la Clancy, but better), and follows up with good endings (he wraps up most, if not all, of the loose ends). Some stories are a bit far-fetched, but hey, it's fiction :wink:

Dale Brown (not Dan) writes some wild techno stuff, almost to the point it's sci-fi. But he can get long winded at times :roll:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Excellent suggestions, I'll look into them. When I was at the library last night I came across some books that I liked, but I couldn't remember what they were/who wrote them until I saw them again. Terry Brooks is the author. They're fantasy books. I recommend him as well.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Terry Brook's the Magic Kindom For Sale is a great series to read (and damn funny at times). I liked those and most of the Shanara stuff, although I haven't read the latest installments :?

• 6 months later...

Just thought I'd resurrect this topic with some of my magic necromancer powers!

I have been reading The Wheel of Time series lately. There are 11 books, a prequel, and the author (Robert Jordan) is currently writing book 12. I am on book 5 right now. A great, engrossing fantasy series. I must say that, next to The Lord of the Rings, it is my favorite fantasy series. Great, great stuff!

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

• SWR Staff - Executive

Shannara series is great. Its Tolkien fantasy, but its more narrative - easier to read. Great character development by Brooks :)

I'm sure everyone probably has read Ender's Game, but make sure to read others of Orson Scott Card's Enderverse books.

Clancy, Crichton, are book. I also recommend Iggulden's Emperor series - a great fictional life of Caesar.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Is it similar in writing style to Tolkein's books? A personal favourite of mine at the moment is "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul" by Douglas Adams... Rest in peace, mate- it's a great story about the Norsk gods living among man and how the all-father Odin- well, I won't give it away to you all. :)

I also want to read "The God Delusion," primarily because too many people try to convert me daily... Though I have found joy in simple math used against them.

Me: So without you god, would you say that you're nothing?

Converter: Absolutely!

Me: So what you're saying is "You - God = 0"

Converter: Yes!

Me: Alright, so through simple algebra... "You - God + God = 0 + God" "You = God" You're God! WOW!

In some extreme instances I'm an ass and go on to use Douglas Adams's H2G2 proof about how proof of the existance of God disproves God's existance. :twisted:

12/14/07

I'm also reading the "Inheritence" series. Its a trilogy- "Eragon" being first and "Eldest" the second. The third book is still being written. THe story is about "Dragon Riders" and how suddenly the last dragon is found and begins training. The first movie is due out in either November or December.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

• SWR Staff - Executive
Is it similar in writing style to Tolkein's books?

No not at all. Shannara is a similar fantasy setting, but without the dry bibilical style writing. Much more focused on character interaction and weaving a tight narrative.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.