St Patricks Day

HerrGeneral

We* in the States on the other side of the pond, are descendants of immigrants from all over the world. Therefore, we celebrate lots of things brought over from the home countries. A good excuse to party :D

* the majority of the population.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Ok, so why do so many people celebrate St Patricks Day? I have never understood this? Why is it celebrated by so many, esp over the pond in the states? I'm at a loss...... :?

St Patrick, despite being Welsh, is the patron saint of Ireland, and as such is celebrated in North America so visibly on account of the large amount of people of Irish descent, as DarthTex pointed out. As he also pointed out, it's a good excise to have a 'crack*,' as the Irish would say.

*Not the drug crack, but a party btw :

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

[english joke mode]How do you get an irishman lost?[/english joke mode]

I didn't know St Patrick was welsh. I and my farther tend to make jokes about the irish most of the days of the week.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

[english joke mode]How do you get an irishman lost?[/english joke mode]

I didn't know St Patrick was welsh. I and my farther tend to make jokes about the irish most of the days of the week.

I remember mentioning this last year. So let us devulge in some history (briefly):

Ireland at the time was pagan, comprised of lots of tribes, one of whome were the Gaels, a very warlike people who would invade the western coast of England and Wales, plunder, pillage and enslave people. One such 'victim' was St Patrick, who is credited with ending up converting this pagan Ireland to the Church. So I guess that's why he's their patron saint!

I remember mentioning this last year. So let us devulge in some history (briefly):

Ireland at the time was pagan, comprised of lots of tribes, one of whome were the Gaels, a very warlike people who would invade the western coast of England and Wales, plunder, pillage and enslave people. One such 'victim' was St Patrick, who is credited with ending up converting this pagan Ireland to the Church. So I guess that's why he's their patron saint!

See Toguroani and Scath- that's what "Briefly" means! :lol:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Guest Scathane
St Patrick, despite being Welsh...
From whence you owe this strange intelligence? :?

See Toguroani and Scath- that's what "Briefly" means! :lol:
But it's so much more interesting to know as well that the English word Gael stems from the Scottish Gaelic word Gaidheal, which in turn is thought to stem from a Welsh word meaning raiders... 8O This could mean that they had common ancestors, if Paddy was really Welsh...

Consider this...

In Germanic languages we know the English iron, German Eisen and Dutch ijzer... The Latin word for iron is Ferrum... The Celtic word for iron is isarn(e)... This means that the Celts - not the Romans - learnt Germanic tribes how to work iron... 8)

You people need an excuse to drink? Rookies.

Damn man I love you... You beat me to it.

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Are you sure she wasn't Welsh? :lol:

She sounded Irish at the time. Welsh and Irish accents are quite distinct from each other. But who knows? Perhaps she was Swedish. I've never met her since.

[off topic]My farther is welsh.[/off topic]

[Napoleon Dynomite mode]Your mom is Welsh![/Napoleon Dynomite mode]

...Terrible movie- the root of all 'your mom' jokes...I just wear the colors of the Irish flag for the holiday- nothing more... 'Course I look rather odd in bright orange pants and a green shirt, but its Saint Patrick's dayy, dammit! All I need is a green hat...

12/14/07

'Course I look rather odd in bright orange pants and a green shirt, but its Saint Patrick's dayy, dammit! All I need is a green hat...

BEAK first, then ask question. "dayy" Tofu? Shouldn't that be "day"?

I'm kind of disappointed Tofu. You need an excuse to go around dressing to look odd? I wear odd things just to get people to ask questions. The more people there are in the world that question my sanity (or lack thereof) the better I'm doing.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I'm kind of disappointed Tofu. You need an excuse to go around dressing to look odd?

I'm not, sure about the grammar structure there- not saying its wrong, just confusing... As far as dressing wierd just for the hell of it goes- I am the creator of Ultimate N00b day (Which takes place on Feberuary 15th of every year)! On Ultimate N00b day you must find someone who you deem a N00b and dress in the same manner as them! I chose Shau Fu for the Ultimate N00b award this year solely because he is an unintentional cocreator of the holiday by coining the term "Ultimate N00b"... Also, I would be seen as a rip-off of a mentally insane kid if I went around dressed up wierd. Don't believe me? He put on a Miami Dolphins jersey and his mother's gold jewlrey, looping a trophey for academic excellance through one of the thicker and more feminine necklasses and claimed that it was his "Bling, yo"

12/14/07

I kicked three people in the balls for trying to pinch me. Honestly, orange and white are both on the Irish flag- screw green...

12/14/07

Ugh... I just got home from yesterday... My head hurts... I didn't think it was possible for the human body to experience so many sensations simultaneously.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Sounds like you had fun last night AI. I didn't even remember it was St. Patrick's Day yesterday until AFTER I got dressed and walked out the door. No one even bothered trying to pinch me.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"