Starting a book

Master_Xan

I'm starting to write a book. That's right, me, writing a book. I doubt it will turn out very well, but I figure the experience is worth it, even though it won't ever be publishable material.

Would any of you guys be interested in reading parts as I get them done? I'd really like opinions, and when righting a book there can never be too much BEAKing...

(as a sidenote, I do believe I'm a Lt. Commander now... 8) )

EDIT: Dang, not yet. Can't be far off, as others with about this post count are. Is it 145, or 150?

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*slaps forehead*

Silly me, I left out critical information! I'm really into fantasy and sci fi novels, so I figured I'd go that route. I've already got some ideas for a fantasy book, so I'm starting there. In fact, I've already got most of the background worked out, I'm starting to work on the plot-line today.

The only suggestion I have for you at this point in time: use an editor/word processor with a spell checker! Maybe even a grammar checker. This would at least keep BEAKing to an absolute minimum :)
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I'll BEAK, I mean edit it for you. holloways at uwplatt.edu Edited by Mitth_raw_nuruodo

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

8O You- did you just... type your email, without any breaks...? 8O

And people wonder why they get spam... you'll be hit up by the first spider that runs along, and *bam* you're on somebody's spam list.

Thanks for volunteering, hopefully it'll be fun to read. Anybody else? If enough people feel like it, I'll probably set up a mailing list of some sort. I'd just put it on a website, but if by some miracle the thing did end up good enough to publish, I could run into problems with it being up on the web.

Yes, much. I hope your school as good anti-spam... :wink:

Seriously though, I get maybe one spam message a week. And if I feel like not having any spam, I disable one of my aliases and get (no joke) one spam message a year. It's all in how you give out your addy...

I don't get any on my personal acct. My old personal accts get quite a bit though. But those are the addresses I give out.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Hey, other people with my tastes in literature! Sweet! I'm a huge fan of the Stackpole fantasy books in addition to my Sci Fi... So were you thinking of combining the two IE elves with guns? Though elves are never good to include as a main face... You want to make your own species lists... And your own nations... And someone always has to die and then not really die when you expect them to come back but its someone else and now I'm confusing myself: In short, read "Talion Reverant"... Very well written at the end, though it is primarily filler.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Um, no. No no no no no.

I thought I might try and actually create an original work, and not be like 99% of all other fantasy books out there and just rip off other people's stuff. In short: no elves. No mystical orbs and almighty swords. No alliances with dragons, no farmers who end up being kings. No perfect endings, and nobody is going to 'die' and then come back to life. And main characters will actually die, none of this 'magical, mystical aurora of almighty coolness' that means the bad guys can only hit a barn from ten feet away.

Of course, I've read fantasy and sci fi books, and my writing will be influenced in part from what I've read. That's inescapable. My goal is to create something different. I'm making my own magic system, there are no other races (just humans), and at this point none of the main characters are farmers. Or related to farmers. Or have any relation to any farmers anywhere that might possibly turn into a king by the most unlikely series of events imaginable, including their turning out to be the long-lost heir or some kind of magic or sword-weilding god.

(Not to say fantasy books like those are bad, but if I'm writing one, its not going to be like all of everybody elses. If I ever get time, I'll read the Stackpole books, as several people have recommended them to me and I just haven't done it yet.)

Later on I'll post some background info and give you an idea of what the book is about...

When I'm not working on my own work I can help you out. I've been published before so I like to think that I am good. No, my typing on this site is nothing like my writing style.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

What have you written AI? I think I need to read it just so I can find more ways to BEAK you. :wink: No, seriously, I am curious to read what you have written.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

As am I... I have albeit of fanfiction to my name, but other than that, squat. And if you want to create just humans, Xan, you can evolve some humans differently- say, those in one area tend to be more creative, or those in another have longer lives, etc. And I would recommend "Talion Reverent" again to you as there is only one non-human character in it (The Falereen who is pretty awesome and goes by the name of Jevin)... Though I will throw in that all odd symbols (Such as the "o"s with dots over them) and random apostrophes must be omitted- I will not help you if the names are impossible to pronounce! :lol: I'll see if I can rustle up some Stargate Atlantis fanfiction I wrote 'bout two years ago, and see if that's any good... Actually, come to think of it, I have an introduction called "The Ninety-ninth red balloon" that I'm hoping to eventually develop... I can send you that if you'd like to check out my writing style. In addition to that I have a loose skeleton for the tale, so you can check that out as you like as well...

12/14/07

Here's one of the poems I've had published in a poetry book. I've had short stories printed in my city newspaper, but nothing huge or really impressive. Anyways here's the poem.

The Nightengale...

Sweetly blown, the nightengale

through ether streams, my lucid dreams,

and sighing, screaming as wind and wail.

Shall I not, then tell the tale

And sing for you the nightengale?

The graveyard shift, it was nigh time

that the bird it stalked, and sang, and gawked

and as it were, a children's rhyme.

Stood then the bird, it's song in prime

and six eyes the circle this death of mine...

and slowly came the nightengale,

and with it came the Crimson King,

and in his wake the world was pale

and through this all, the crow did sing...

"Bemused am I" said the Crimson King

"That withstood my wrath, a simple thing,

and in all my years, nor my greatest fears,

did I ever think,

that a bird should topple the Crimson King."

And to better end this gruesome tale;

diminished the King, and his fire gale.

yet in my dreams, are his dying screams,

so sing shall I, the nightengale...

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Guest Scathane

@ Xan: Sure, I'm willing to for proof read...

@ Aenivae_Ikeda: Very good! :D Your poem is slightly reminescent of The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner in terms of meter...

Anyways, I'm told that my style of writing is better than my poetry, and I like to think so too, so if you need help in terms of style then I can lend a hand. Though I don't usually work on anyone's books but my own, I can spare some time and be a chum. :D

Heee we should all start a giant literary project together. Turn it into something amazing!

Heee we should all start a giant literary project together. Turn it into something amazing!

Interessting. I remember the last time I tried starting a novle. Lack of motivation quickly stopped me.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

8O AI can write poetry... And we're doing poetry in my English class... *Copys poem into Microsoft word* Hah! Now I have an "A"! Oddly enough, your style of poetry writing is eerily similar to mine...

As for me, here's the balloon story- sort of based off of the song... Read it if you like, its about three pages long, and may be difficult to read if you never discussed the plot with me. Its meant to be kind of moving:

The Ninety-Ninth Red Balloon

“A war machine,

It springs to life,

Opens up one eager strife,

Focus in here on the site,

As ninety-nine red balloons go by.â€

12/14/07