Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post subject: Re: Ender's Game
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:01 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

Evaders99 wrote:
Anime: top recommendations for guys Ghost in the Shell, Death Note, Code Geass.
For more mainstream: Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood > original), Tsubasa Chronicles, Shakugan no Shana, Blood+, Darker Than Black
For more off the beaten trail: From the New World, Shiki, xxxHolic, Steins;Gate, Gosick
I can recommend more depending on what you end up liking.

I have already watched (and liked) Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Alchemist (both versions), and Darker Than Black. Never got into Death Note. I saw most of the first season of Code Geass, but it wasn't my favorite. I want to say I saw an episode of Blood+ and didn't like it, but I can't recall any details.

I suppose before I asked for recommendations I should have mentioned stuff I like/don't like. The standard anime stuff isn't really my thing (fanservice, crazy women beating up men for little or no reason, obsessions with cats, etc). I like Trigun, which does have some 'classic anime' stuff (like cats), but I never felt like it was overdone and/or it actually fit into the story and characters.

I like plot. Bleach and Dragon Ball Z fail the plot test, since whatever plot might be there is buried under endless, and endlessly boring, fight scenes. Little kid anime particularly bothers me- I don't want to watch twelve year olds trying to act like adults, nor adults falling in love with someone who looks to be twelve years old. I also struggle to enjoy stories about kids who suddenly become the savior of mankind because some robot falls on their heads.

The more mature anime is usually what I want, though I'm not really into the fanservice and almost-hentai junk that tends to creep into anime designed for older audiences. Gratuitous blood is not really my thing either, but stuff like Kenshin (Samurai X) doesn't bother me. Probably because it has blood, but the gore isn't a major focus.

With that in mind, which of these should I try: New World, Shiki, Steins Gate, Gosick, Tsubasa Chronicles, or Shakugan no Shana? Or something else?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:53 am 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

I agree, crazy fanservice and plot-less things tend to irk me.

For more mature anime:
From the New World: post-modern Japan, what does society do when kids grow up with psychic powers
Shiki: suspense leading up the horror vampires, what do villagers do in desperation
Steins;Gate: what happens when a mad scientist makes a time machine

Those are the ones I think you may like. Also
Black Lagoon: mercenaries in southeast Asia, crime syndicates, and triads

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.
- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 am 
<!-- Admiral -->

Evaders99 wrote:
I agree, crazy fanservice and plot-less things tend to irk me.

For more mature anime:
From the New World: post-modern Japan, what does society do when kids grow up with psychic powers
Shiki: suspense leading up the horror vampires, what do villagers do in desperation
Steins;Gate: what happens when a mad scientist makes a time machine

Those are the ones I think you may like. Also
Black Lagoon: mercenaries in southeast Asia, crime syndicates, and triads

When I get a chance, I'll try those three. I've seen Black Lagoon; not my favorite, but it wasn't bad, either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:09 pm 
<!-- Sergeant //-->

My apologies if I'm barging back into the conversation after a weekend's lull. Well I say lull - I was pulling two all-nighter's playing Rebellion!

@ Master Xan - I only mentioned Game of Thrones and Battlestar because they've been two of my most favourite TV shows...ever! Them and HBO's Rome - I Love them and have watched them so many times that if I keep going for another 5 years or more, I'll have watched them more times than Star Wars (and believe me that's saying something). Anyways I thought they'd be a talking point but you've moved on to anime and to be honest that's not really my cup of tea (possibly because I haven't seen one I really like?) - I didn't particularly enjoy Akira or several others a friend of mine who does like anime suggested to me, so I kind of left the genre alone after that.

Ref. the Hobbit scene you mentioned - I know exactly the one you mean: it had involved the brown wizard getting the sword, who's name is on the tip of my tongue but can't actually think of (not that I expect I could spell it anyway :) - Brandeghast or something like that).
Completely agree with you, both about the films turning, what was personally a boring read, into fantastic big screen back drops and especially regarding how on earth Jackson's making three films from one book :?: - must be using other material to make that happen.

Never been an avid Stargate fan but have seen quite a few episodes and enjoyed them. If you haven't seen any Clone Wars, I recommend that - whilst some episodes are very kiddy-ish (it is a kid's cartoon after all), some have been quite the opposite - having a long term theme revolving around the ethics of using clone soldiers was more mature than I expected.
You must have at least a passing interest in Star Trek if you're trying to get through Voyager - do you have a favourite series? - I really enjoyed DS9.

@Evaders - Glad you enjoyed the new series of Battlestar - so did I...sooo much - there was barely an episode there that felt like a "filler" in any way; seemed very much the woven story with awesome characters (Colonel Tie - my favourite). Know what you mean about the end...but I forgive it - for two reasons:
1. The final episode had all the action I'd hoped for - I thought the fight was brilliant!
2. It told the story without any stretching out or closing short of the series as a whole, which so often happens with TV shows
Not to mention the sheer class of it all.

I'm an avid watcher of Game of Thrones - best thing on TV since Battlestar imo! Has me absolutely gripped - loving the Imp's character. Haven't read the books unfortunately (by the time I heard of them the TV series was upon me). Glad it's holding true to them though.

I've heard good things about Fringe and expect to watch it before too long. I think I've seen all of Alias (more because of my missus than me :) ) and though I did feel it was a bit commercial (for want of a better word) I did quite enjoy it on the sly - it is JJ Abrahms afterall, even if it is an early outing he shows how to twist and turn a plot.

Apologies again if I'm barging in and soz for the long post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:28 am 
<!-- Admiral -->

In its own way, anime is almost as diverse as American television. But if you don't like "classic anime" (as I don't), the facet of anime you do like may be hard to find. There is probably a mainstream show or two you would like, but for me at least, I find that many of the really big ones just aren't for me. Like Bleach; that is a snooze fest for me, but tons of folks love it. You can always try an episode from a wide variety until you find one you like.

I liked TNG and DS9. I like Voyager too, possibly due to its uniqueness. I just haven't seen all the episodes for TNG or Voyager yet. In general, I can't just watch Star Trek whenever. There are so many inconsistencies and plot holes, I have to allow myself to be led around instead of thinking. When I do that, I like it, but otherwise I get pretty disgruntled about things. So its taking me longer to watch them all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:34 pm 
<!-- Sergeant //-->

8) I get where you're coming from about Star Trek - for me personally there are a fair few episodes from each series that I would rate poorly. It's probably the reason I enjoyed DS9 the most, had the fewest 'poorer' episodes and a long term plot. Also a primary reason I enjoyed Battlestar so much: excellent story weaving throughout.

If you find an anime you, like let me know - I'd like to give it a go - I'll be sure to do the same :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 pm 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

Master_Xan wrote:
You haven't heard of the book? It's great. My avatar comes from the front cover of the companion novel, Ender's Shadow.

I actually just started reading some of the books, with the movie coming out and all. I always wondered where you're avatar came from, and now I know!

As for the movie, I am looking forward to it. The books were great reads, though figuring out which order to read them in was a bit harrowing. The missus' generally isn't too big into sci-fi, but she's the one who actually read some of the Ender's Game books and got me to read them. I think I've read four of them now, but took a break from the series to return to King's Dark Tower series.

My Website

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:18 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

Ah yes, the reading order. Wasn't an issue for me, since most of the books weren't out yet when I first started reading the series.

If your missus isn't into sci fi and still liked the books, then maybe there is hope for my missus...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

Master_Xan wrote:
Ah yes, the reading order. Wasn't an issue for me, since most of the books weren't out yet when I first started reading the series.

If your missus isn't into sci fi and still liked the books, then maybe there is hope for my missus...

The initial thing that got her into sci fi and fantasy was Tolkien. When The Hobbit movie came out last year, she had nothing to read and I encouraged her to read The Hobbit since it's an easy read. She enjoyed it, and tackled The Lord of the Rings, and ended up loving it. Now she's starting to find things on her own that I haven't even heard of!

My Website

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:18 am 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

If fantasy is your thing: Terry Brooks's Shannara series is amazing

The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

Evaders99 wrote:
If fantasy is your thing: Terry Brooks's Shannara series is amazing

I hate that series. Ok, hate is too strong a word. I dislike that series. The first book starts off really slowly, gets to be pretty good, but then a few books later things start to get repetitive. I completely lost interest after the first couple of books.

However, I know a dozen people who do like the series, so maybe I'm just weird.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:39 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

It follows the standard mythical hero narrative, but I totally enjoy the characters. He puts a spin on the main characters every time. I wouldn't say its too out-there like Game of Thrones, but it's just really good mainstream fantasy.

The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:58 am 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

Sounds interesting enough for me to give it a whirl in the future. I'll add it to my book bucket list.

My Website

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:02 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

Location: Death Stars are out at night, big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.
For those who like a bit of "fantasy/history" mix, try the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Basically it's a "what if dragons were alive" and takes place in the early 1800's England at the start of the Napoleonic Wars. Follow on books follow the main characters with their adventures around the world. I enjoyed them all so far :D

I read Ender's Game recently for the first time. It was a bit "deep", and the story had some "weird" aspects. But I enjoyed it; I'm going to try and read "Speaker of the Dead" next, although I have no idea if that is the next book to read or not. I've heard other people talk about it before (mostly Master Xan), but probably wouldn't have read it at all if not for seeing the movie trailer.

As for Terry Brook's Shannara series, I made it through the first two series, but the final books seem to have taken it out of me. Now there is another half dozen series, and I just don't know if it's worth investing the time for all of those books. Any advice?

I much preferred his Magic Kingdom of Landover series. I liked them abit better :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:46 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

DarthTex wrote:
For those who like a bit of "fantasy/history" mix, try the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Basically it's a "what if dragons were alive" and takes place in the early 1800's England at the start of the Napoleonic Wars. Follow on books follow the main characters with their adventures around the world. I enjoyed them all so far :D

I read Ender's Game recently for the first time. It was a bit "deep", and the story had some "weird" aspects. But I enjoyed it; I'm going to try and read "Speaker of the Dead" next, although I have no idea if that is the next book to read or not. I've heard other people talk about it before (mostly Master Xan), but probably wouldn't have read it at all if not for seeing the movie trailer.

I will check out the Temeraire series. Sounds interesting.

If you are going by publish date, the next book in Ender's Game series is indeed Speaker for the Dead. If you what chronological order, it is actually Ender in Exile. Wikipedia has a chronological list, but if you want published order, it is Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, then Children of the Mind.

The Ender's Shadow series has a different chronology and publishing dates.

I don't have any advice for the rest of Brook's series, but for other ideas, try Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Weeks has another series, starting with The Way of Shadows, but it was too dark for me. The Prism series has one of my all-time favorite characters, Kip. Great fantasy read.

Other ideas: the Advent Mage series, a quick and fun read, self-published by a budding author. Ranger's Apprentice, another quick read that I liked quite a bit. I've read the first book in the Sword of Truth series, it was pretty good. The next one is on my list to read. The Wheel of Time, if you haven't already read it. The Mistborn series is great. Highwayman, by RA Salvatore, is a good read. I liked the Innocent Mage books, though I know others who didn't like them as much.

Those are all fantasy novels. If anybody wants sci-fi suggestions, I have plenty of those too. Or I can just shut up. :roll: