Ender's Game

Master_Xan

If fantasy is your thing: Terry Brooks's Shannara series is amazing

I hate that series. Ok, hate is too strong a word. I dislike that series. The first book starts off really slowly, gets to be pretty good, but then a few books later things start to get repetitive. I completely lost interest after the first couple of books.

However, I know a dozen people who do like the series, so maybe I'm just weird.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

• SWR Staff - Executive
It follows the standard mythical hero narrative, but I totally enjoy the characters. He puts a spin on the main characters every time. I wouldn't say its too out-there like Game of Thrones, but it's just really good mainstream fantasy.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

For those who like a bit of "fantasy/history" mix, try the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Basically it's a "what if dragons were alive" and takes place in the early 1800's England at the start of the Napoleonic Wars. Follow on books follow the main characters with their adventures around the world. I enjoyed them all so far :D

I read Ender's Game recently for the first time. It was a bit "deep", and the story had some "weird" aspects. But I enjoyed it; I'm going to try and read "Speaker of the Dead" next, although I have no idea if that is the next book to read or not. I've heard other people talk about it before (mostly Master Xan), but probably wouldn't have read it at all if not for seeing the movie trailer.

As for Terry Brook's Shannara series, I made it through the first two series, but the final books seem to have taken it out of me. Now there is another half dozen series, and I just don't know if it's worth investing the time for all of those books. Any advice?

I much preferred his Magic Kingdom of Landover series. I liked them abit better :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

For those who like a bit of "fantasy/history" mix, try the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Basically it's a "what if dragons were alive" and takes place in the early 1800's England at the start of the Napoleonic Wars. Follow on books follow the main characters with their adventures around the world. I enjoyed them all so far :D

I read Ender's Game recently for the first time. It was a bit "deep", and the story had some "weird" aspects. But I enjoyed it; I'm going to try and read "Speaker of the Dead" next, although I have no idea if that is the next book to read or not. I've heard other people talk about it before (mostly Master Xan), but probably wouldn't have read it at all if not for seeing the movie trailer.

I will check out the Temeraire series. Sounds interesting.

If you are going by publish date, the next book in Ender's Game series is indeed Speaker for the Dead. If you what chronological order, it is actually Ender in Exile. Wikipedia has a chronological list, but if you want published order, it is Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, then Children of the Mind.

The Ender's Shadow series has a different chronology and publishing dates.

I don't have any advice for the rest of Brook's series, but for other ideas, try Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Weeks has another series, starting with The Way of Shadows, but it was too dark for me. The Prism series has one of my all-time favorite characters, Kip. Great fantasy read.

Other ideas: the Advent Mage series, a quick and fun read, self-published by a budding author. Ranger's Apprentice, another quick read that I liked quite a bit. I've read the first book in the Sword of Truth series, it was pretty good. The next one is on my list to read. The Wheel of Time, if you haven't already read it. The Mistborn series is great. Highwayman, by RA Salvatore, is a good read. I liked the Innocent Mage books, though I know others who didn't like them as much.

Those are all fantasy novels. If anybody wants sci-fi suggestions, I have plenty of those too. Or I can just shut up. :roll:

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"