Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post subject: Graduation
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:03 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

SOCL just recently graduated from college, so wish him luck as he progresses.

Now, on to the far more important matter- I graduate from high school tomorrow, so all of you stand up in a line and give me the mandatory and insincere wishes of happiness and joy throughout college and life that decorum dictates you must give me! :wink:

Post subject: Re: Graduation
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:53 pm 
<!-- Jahled //-->

:D

Well done you mate; life is a bit easier with a few academic options under your belt

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:45 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

I know several people graduated this spring. Congrats!

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.
- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:36 pm 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

Congrats buddy! Hope you have a blast in college. Just remember to steer clear of those ridiculous frats, and you'll be fine.

And just to toot my own horn here, this is my last semester, so I'll be graduating in December with my Masters!!!

My Website

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:59 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

Go Rob! We'll revive this topic when that rolls along!

On a related note: I'M A SITHSPITTIN' GRADUATE! GO ME!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:42 pm 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

Dont go too crazy. My high school graduation night was one of the craziest of my life...

My Website

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:48 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

... So I and a few friends decided that, seeing as we would have spent the majority of the school-sponsored "Grad Bash" function, where every grad from two or three counties piles into the Universal Studios Islands of Adventure theme park, we would go ahead and skip the school function (and the ensuing long-as-hell lines) and go to Islands of Adventure on our own time, on our own coin, now that we've graduated. We went today, bright and early, leaving at seven thirty to make it in time for the park to open up. When we got there, we found that there were no lines, like, at all.

I went on Dueling Dragons fire three times or so and Ice at least six times. My girlfriend, being a rollercoaster-phobic sort of person, had the annoying habit of shutting her eyes on the coaster, and proclaiming that they were horribly scary. The amazing idea that you ought to open your eyes (Honor Grad, ladies and gentlemen) had never really occurred to her, and by the third ride, I managed to convince her to open them for the straight parts; took three more rides before she'd leave 'em open for the whole ride, but I managed it eventually.

We did The Incredible Hulk Coaster a good five or six times, with our ride photos ranging from that first "The hell? There's a camera on this ride?" photo to our final few, which included the "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, smell no evil" (the cars are four across, and we ran out of senses to deny; "touch no evil" seemed difficult to manage) poses and four idiots all doing the "fishhook" facial expression (Fingers stretching the mouth wide, tongue out). Needless to say, it was a blast, and confirms what I always knew; if you go to theme parks when everyone else has work or school, you have no crowds and no lines. It was awesome.

Unfortunately I sincerely doubt that any of you can take advantage of it, as school is about two days from being over for everyone else in Florida. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:04 pm 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

Dude, that is soooo cool. I loved Islands of Adventure when we went a few years back. That was a smart move on your part. Our senior trip took us to Six Flags Great Adventure, and it was so crowded and annoying to have to follow the school's "schedule" for the days events.

Im glad to here how dead it was there. The misses and I bumped up our wedding to May 30 2010, so we will be heading down to Disney World for our honeymoon in early June rather than early July. Im hoping that it is still that dead around that time. I hate crowds and whatnot.

My Website

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:06 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

People take their kids to Disney; I'd say that the best time to go would be some time when people would have their kids in school, and can't get them out, like during exams. Unfortunately, you being a teacher, that may prove difficult. But I'd say go while school would be in session if you want to get fewer crowds. Also, right after a holliday weekend; that's why we chose today. Everyone goes home after the holiday weekend is over.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:07 pm 
<!-- Sasquatch //-->

Yeah, thats our plan...right after the holiday. I dont plan on teaching full-time by then. Since I wont be certified until December/January, I dont expect to be landing a teaching job until next Fall.

My Website

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:01 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

Congratulations!

Why is it my only posts these days seem to be congratulating someone? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:50 am 
<!-- Raporan Dark Lord //-->

Well done Tofu!

I guess this is the place to post about how my exams are going.
So far they have been a living hell. On the third day of my exams I went to see the doctor after some severe throat pains only to be diagnosed with a rather nasty throat infection. No sooner have a started to get better (ie yesterday) than my dog starts getting very sick too. We had to take her in to the emergency vet yesterday after seeing that she couldn't move anymore. After spending let them keep her there over night and seeing today that there was no improvement we took her to out normal vet who diagnosed a hernia in her neck. Apparently it was applying pressure to her nerve and that was why she couldn't move. Since the treatement was a very heavy one with no guarantee of recovery we took the decision.
She passed away at 2:35 this afternoon.
And now I have to prepare my economy exam for tomorrow and I don't know how I'm gonna manage it psychologically. :cry:

Sorry to bother you with my ramblings.

Click here is you like Trance

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:16 am 
<!--n00b//-->

Rest assured, you're not bothering anyone, Mad. That's aterrible, and I'm sorry to hear about how badly things are going for you! :cry: That's not pleasent at all; losing a pet is never fun, being sick is never fun, and taking exams almost always sucks. All in all, this is stuff you need to go ahead and get off of your chest; if nothing else, I'm more than willing to read about it on the net whenever things are bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:07 pm 
<!-- Raporan Dark Lord //-->

Thanks Tofu.
Its just the first time in my life I've had so mush s*** happens to me all at the same time. Its quite overwhelming

Click here is you like Trance

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:17 pm 
<!--n00b//-->

Best thing for it is to talk it over with someone. Probably not somebody online, truth-be-told, but if that's the only place you feel comfortable going, it's better than nothing. A parent, a friend, a sibling, etc. It's all cliche and overstated, but that's because it's true.

You are, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon how you look at it) not the first person to have a whole bunch of crap dumped on your plate all at once. It isn't fun, by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems a bit more managable when you realize that other people have delt with that and more in the past.

My solution (and, admittedly, it's a rather odd one) is to go about trying to perform random acts of kindness. That doesn't seem like it'll help all that much, but it's amazingly uplifting when you help someone else, and it takes your mind completely off of your own predicament.

In your case, I'd suggest setting up a (nonalcoholic) study group of some sort to deal with your upcoming exam. Invite a person or two from the class (maybe a cute girl? :wink: ) and perform some studying for a while at your place. You'll get some done, and when you aren't studying, it's generally an amusing experience just goofing off and shooting the breeze. I remember that tutoring some friends in Calculus helped me through a particularly rough time involving a bad breakup.

Sorry, now I'm focusing on me. I guess that the bottom line is this: Get active in something, and try to refrain from thinking, "I'm being active, so I won't be thinking about this at all!" Something physical, that'll make you break a sweat, will really make you feel better, help you sleep better, etc. Maybe develop a study game that involves dodgeball in it? Get the study questions correct and you're a dodger; get them wrong and you have to stand on the outside and try to hit the people in the middle with little rubber balls? Just suggestions.

Best of luck getting through it, though.