Free Money!

DarthTofu

Well, sort of. Free gift certificates. To Kiva.org, which is a non-profit organization that gives out micro loans to working-class poor all over the world. You jut have to set up a few accounts (two, to be exact, neither of which should increase your junk E-mail levels). Click here for more details: http://think.mtv.com/044FDFFFF009896EF00080099073B/User/Blog/BlogPostDetail.aspx

It's sponsored by Stanford, and my sister is involved with the team, so I can contend that it's fully legit. You aren't giving anyone a "handout" (so no worries, Tex :wink: ), but a micro loan, one that has to be paid off. You get twenty-five bucks free, which you can distribute in whatever increments as you see fit. I imagine you can't be a dick and give one cent to 2,500 people individually, but you can give five dollars to a baker in Brazil, ten to a farmer in Libya, etc. They have to pay it back, and when that money is paid back, you can start giving it out to different people. You can track the profiles of your people, see who else is supporting your people, etc.

There's a brief profile on each of the people applying for loans, BTW. So sign up- it's completely free.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• 4 years later...

I understand that Tofu's post is over four years old now, but I just noticed it after many years of absence. I thought I would provide more details, and/or an update, as I wasn't involved with Kiva at the time Tofu posted. When you sign up with Kiva you do in fact get to make a $25 loan at no cost to you. This is how they attract people. The money is provided by someone in the Kiva leadership/board of directors/insert appropriate group label here. Unless I am horribly mistaken, as it's been a few years since my first Kiva loan, as the loan is repaid the money goes to whoever fronted it for the new member to loan out. From that point you can either put up your own money to make loans or convince other people to join from an invite you send them. When someone you invite joins Kiva both of you get $25 worth of Kiva credit.

I have made four loans so far. Three have been paid back, in full, and the last is currently in its repayment phase. I've put out $25 of my own money. That went to loans 2-4. So far I haven't lost anything, and I can get my money back between loans if I want. My wife has paid in between $50 and $100, and also hasn't lost anything. The minimum amount you may loan is $25. That may not have been the case when Tofu posted, so I won't call him a liar.

If anyone would like an invitation PM me your preferred email address, and I will get one to you, likely within 24 hours.

http://kiva.org

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"