Belgians

Lord_La_forge

For a recent school project, I need to search visual keys for the belgians. But I don't really know anything about them. Any help is greatly appreciated!

(I'm searching for stereotypes, symbols, characteristics, even architecture or gastro-stuff)

I've long thought that Wikipedia was an unreliable source of information, but often it is a good place to start one's research. There are articles on Belgian demographics, culture, and even cuisine here that might get you started. As for real-life experience, I cannot help.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

That's right, it was the first thing I did, but the page "belgian culture" was a bit too brief (good beer, lot of festivals, chocolate). I thought maybe some of you members been there or know anything special about them. I just need one specific visual key that describes the best. (like Spain with a bull and such)

I guess chocolate would be the visual thing there.

I can tell you that here, in the french speaking part of Switzerland (and also in France), the belgians have a stereotype of being stupid and are generally used as the "dumb nationality" in jokes. Thats all i can really say. I know some belgian people so I'll ask them if I see them if they can think of a national symbol. I can also confirm that their beer is bloody good! Leffe forever!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Oh, no, not about the belgians! :lol:

To be honest, I've never been there. Actually I just know one guy who is belgian, but I heard/know some things. The belgians are a bit like the swiss. There are the flamish people who do speak a german language, than there are the flanderns who rather speak dutch and than there are some who speak french. Not sure at the moment how they are called.

So let me see what they also got there: :?

- The european administration is located there.

- Yes, they've got some nice chocolate.

- Hm, and about ten years ago there was that case of a ring of childe molesters which seemed to have connections to the european political establishment and which has never been solved (oh wonder). :roll:

And now I am completely lost what else I could tell you about our neighbours. ;)

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Waffles rule! Yeah! :D

Yes I've heard about this. Belgians have quite bad reputation in West Eu. (as do hungarians actually), but here on the east we don't even know anything about them. :)

At the time they took presidency of the EU, they had a logo with a hat ( see Rene Magritte's paintings). Now they need a new one. It's quite hard: we need to build a logo for Spain, Hungary, Belgium (EU presidency) and the 3 logos must share the same base visual, but each one should have something to do with the specific country.

You can check the former EU logos here btw:

http://www.jonworth.eu/presidency-logos-a-retrospective/

Most of them suck really bad :)

Haven´t heard about before that every precidency uses a new logo. Just think about all that wasted money each half a year. :?

Can´t confirm that the hungarians have a bad reputation. Maybe at your direct neighbours, but not here. Actually germans love to go to Hungary. It´s sure only the austrians fault. :wink:

Who cares at all?! :roll:

What are the odds of a Belgian stumbling upon this site after dusting off good old SWR to give it another spin (long live the 176 page manual btw :) )

So speaking as a bad rep Belgian 8) I'd defintely go for the beer, no question about that :D Without any doubt some of the best beers that you can find over here. Add in the 'atomium' and you've got yourself a landmark to go along with the beer.

I used to have a set of beer coasters (you're probably spotting a pattern here ;) ) of when the EU was formed. It had a picture of each country at that time depicting the exact thing you're looking for. It definitely had the atomium in the background. I'll see if I can find it somewhere lying around here but I assume it's boxed up somewhere :(

If you want more info about Belgium or Belgian beers ;) feel free to ask

:o

HOLLLY SHH...

Guys, we have a belgian onboard! :D

Welcome!! Another proof, SWR is a global success. I think we should randomly open some nationality threads here. Any asian members lurking around? Or even... ladies? :D

So I've heard, belgian beer is must be one of the best in Eu. Sadly, it's not something that we could use for this logo (well, who knows?) The atomium is quite the thing I need, but I have to find something similar in Spain and in Hungary too. Thanks for your help!

Ladies? On this forum? Not since DinoChick, CarrieoftheWest, or TofuSenior, none of whom stayed on for very long. And TofuSenior only ever showed up to make fun of me.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

... And TofuSenior only ever showed up to make fun of me.

Ahhh, such sweet memories :lol:

:P

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

... And TofuSenior only ever showed up to make fun of me.

Ahhh, such sweet memories :lol:

:P

Hmmm, I dont recall that. That must have been during my hiatus. Im sure my sister would do the same if she ever found this site and new I frequented it.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

• 3 weeks later...

You should tell her to come back. Its always nice to see someone making fun of you instead of it being the other way round. :P

So tell me LLF, how is the designing going?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Sure, here are the finalists.

http://www.eulogo.magyarorszag.hu/competition_hun/index.html

Sadly, i didn't make it to the best 30, though most of us agrees in school, that a lot of the logos listed here are utterly crap. You also need some luck I guess