Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

Admiral-Beef

Say it was set shortly after the Thrawn trilogy, around I, Jedi. In comes the Federation, allies with the Republic, and then you think, bye bye Empire. But wait, here comes the Borg, temporarily allying with the Empire (secretly planning on assimilating them) and now you've got a fight on your hands.
For the life of me, I cannot remember, what made us think that we were wise and could never comprimise.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is, the moment you set constraints on the conflict we will come to the argument of bias. In this case we have two civilisations, neither of which has reached the maximum technology possible to it, or used all its resources, so even if you try to set the time as when the civilisation was atr its most advanced it would be impossible.

In human terms, conflict on Earth is not a problem, we are compatible bodies, basing our science on the same principles. What if the ST guys arrived in the SW galaxy, only to find that the SW guys were 20 times bigger than them?

It's entirely possible that their technology isn't even backwards compatible, let alone compatible...

It all depends on the rules for the conflict that we set, but then we get bias in the equation.

It is, in effect, an unanswerable question.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Oh yeah? We CALL them human, to all intents and purposes they APPEAR human.

Would ST have succeeded if Kirk and his crew had been Klingons and Spock a Romulan? Hmmm? No.

Stand yourself next to Luke, and tell me you KNOW you are physically the same as him in all biological terms. We can't. Imagine if the English had evolved separately from the rest of the world.

We know that the SW universe is AT LEAST 5000yrs old. Now let the English evolve right from the start of time for 5000 years, do the same with the Americans in a totally separate universe with all sorts of different radiation depending on the local stars and nebulae, plus the flora and fauna of that planet.

Introduce them. Tell me they're the same size, mass, look the same, think the same, have the same science, can even find a way to communicate. Things as subtle as body language may well not be the same.

This is where most of my alien theory comes from, and my disbelief of many abduction stories. Why would they be interested in the first place? WHY WOULD THEY EVEN BE RECOGNISABLE PHYSICAL BEINGS???

They could be made from plasma, or a state we don't even know exists, or a state that CANNOT coexist next to us, or even in our universe. Can an object, let alone a being from another of the infinite dimensions exist in our own dimension? Chances are it would cease to exist.

These concepts are too radical for us to begin to imagine.

I know i've strayed off the point a little, but do you see where i'm going with this?

The chances of noticeable existance, mucxh less compatibility are infinitesimal.

;)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Guest JediIgor
You are right.. but we HAVE to assume that the two galaxies are compatible in order for us to compare them, and comparing is what a lot of people do.

Hey! I just thought of something. Maybe i'm dumb for not realising this before, but....

I did A levels in Maths and Physics, and one of the things i studied was Einstein's theory of special relativity. Once you reach approximately 1/3rd the speed of light, e no longer equals mc squared. Einstein came up with a new formula that took into account all sorts of effects, i can't remember the exact formula but i don't think it matters.

Now i had a really cool set of teachers, who let us theorise about things like warp and lightspeed. We decided that the first major problem was reaching anything close to light speed in a human life time. The accelaration needed to reach light speed in less than 80 years would kill a human.

BUT!!! What if the vehicle was substantially massive enough that if it were imparted a spin, it generated it's own grivitic effect due to the centrifugal force imparted by the spin. This would then mean that the vehicle could accelarate at a much greater rate, and get much closer to light speed. You then reach the problem of infinite mass in relation to light speed, but i haven't come up with anything for that yet.

AND!!! Even at the speed of light, it would take several years to cross a section of our galaxy, which i believe is what is essentially going on in ST Voyager. However in SW the galaxy can be crossed in what? a couple of weeks? Which means that 'light speed' in SW must be SEVERAL HUNDRED times the speed of light. Assuming of course that there isn't a significant difference in the size of the galaxies that these dramas take place in.

Thoughts please.