Star Wars: The Old Republic is Still Worth Revisiting

Guest Jannick

Star Wars: The Old Republic may never fully sum up the KOTOR experience with the MMO genre, but it's still worth revisiting.

When Star Wars: The Old Republic was released in 2011, many MMO fans hoped it would help revolutionize the genre. World of Warcraft had reached a peak user base of 12 million a year earlier, and at the time it was mostly a matter of finding the next "WoW killer" to push the genre into new territory, a task BioWare is confidently accomplishing thanks to the studio's RPG pedigree and the huge success of Mass Effect 2.

For nearly a decade, Star Wars: The Old Republic had not gained the long-term respect that the original Knight Republic games had. The game struggled and ultimately struggled to survive in its subscription model in what was then a very monopolistic market. Star Wars: The Old Republic, however, is still worth looking back on 10 years later.

Star Wars: The Old Republic executed a balanced move that BioWare and fans hoped would lead to a successful MMORPG. The game had eight classes, four of which were Republic and the other four Sith. Each has a massive KOTOR campaign that includes full-voice NPCs, separate voices for player characters, and a variety of dialogue options around the world.

Ultimately, The Old Republic feels like a shared MMORPG world, grouped into eight single-player games. Players interact with each other in very few ways in the role-playing game. Ultimately, it's only the sudden realization that two players of the same level are living the same life as their companion that drives them apart. Even in group games, two players speaking in the same voice find it difficult to roleplay the entire group.

As a result, Old Republic always felt like it had two main components, and it didn't gel accurately. Fans hoping for a BioWare RPG experience were initially satisfied, but simply playing through the game like a single-player game leaves players too far behind in the levels to keep up with their main tasks, and they have to engage in the less narrative tasks. MMO aspects of the game that drive it.

On the other hand, MMO fans are so wrapped up in the storyline that they can't even see their fellow players, let alone interact with them. The promise of MMOs with KOTOR-level storytelling has been fulfilled, but never truly synthesized. But there's still an important reason to return to the Old Republic as you can buy cheap swtor gold from SSEGold.

Ultimately, Star Wars: The Old Republic has more BioWare Star Wars content than Knights of the Old Republic and its sequels combined. MMO fans may find the servers emptier, but fans of single-player BioWare RPGs will still find the game a treasure trove of BioWare's best and most forgotten stories.

In addition, The Old Republic has turned into a free-to-play model since its release, allowing players to explore eight full-fledged campaigns across a variety of worlds and some of BioWare's best companions without spending a dime. Star Wars: The Old Republic may never quite live up to the experience of a truly synthetic KOTOR MMO, but it's still a fun, expansive single-player experience in a huge world that matches the best BioWare games on a much larger scale.

• 8 months later...

To be honest, I still cannot understand why the community so disrespected this game. I mean, it was a pretty good game. Yeah, it wasn't revolutionary, but it wasn't trash compared to the new games made by electronic arts. Now, the Star Wars games are just some good-looking games filled with microtransactions, as these bastards from EA think they didn't get enough money when we bought the freaking game! That's why I refuse to play the newer games, and I still play The Old Republic. Besides that, a good alternative would be Naraka Bladepoint. This game is genuinely great. But if you want it to be even better, you can find some cheats that would make the gameplay feel even crazier.

Edited by Stratus
external link removed

• 4 months later...

I enjoyed SWtOR for several months, but it's weak compared to other MMO worlds. 

I was excited about housing, they're all cookie cutter houses used as a gold sink. Not places where players gather and interact. 

I was excited to see what the guilds were like. They were all caught up in mindless, repetitive tasks that had no effect on the game world. The guild interface was OLD and of limited use in 2011, and 11 years later they haven't touched it. 

I was excited to have a lightsaber fight, turns out, it's like fighting with glowing nerf bats. 

I was excited to explore the "ship" you are given. Turns out, all space combat is on a rail and you just have to shoot X fighters for this level, X+3 for the next level. Ship was not customizable even to the generic extent the houses were. 

I really liked the game, to a point, then it was like trying to "go swimming" in a kiddee pool. 

The Lore is screwy, the "lightsaber crystal color" is just a fashion accessory, and about 75% of the player base is trash, not even TRYING to RP a Star Wars World. They're just there to punk each other and see who can be the bigger a-hole. 

Join with some friends, hell, invite me, but if you have a good group of folks, it COULD be fun. Unfortunately, as the sales and popularity suggest, most folks aren't that lucky.