Best Battles

Master_Xan

So I was feeling pretty proud of myself today, and wanted to both brag and give other folks a chance to brag.

Just today, I was playing around and the Empire managed to find my Rebel stronghold on day 22. Dunno how, but he hit me with 2 VSDs, 2 Dreadnoughts, 3 Carracks, 1 Transport, 4 TIEs, and a bunch of troops.

I had: 1 Bulk Cruiser, 3 Corellian Corvettes, 1 Transport, 1 Carrier, 4 Y-Wings, and 8 X-Wings. And because this was my HQ, I had to defend it.

Beginning of the battle, I figure I can slaughter his TIEs, but his capital ships are going to murder me. My fighters, with their torpedoes and resistance to turbolasers, are my only hope. I sent the Corvettes, Transport, and Carrier after his TIEs and focused everything else on his Carracks. As the battle progressed, he lost his TIEs, I lost my Y-Wings, he lost two Carracks, and two of my Corvettes were nought but scrap metal with an engine. But by the end, he had straight up lost all three Carracks, both his Dreadnoughts were being held together with bubblegum, and one VSD was without engines, weapons, or hyperdrive.

I lost the transport, one Corvette, the Y-Wings, and 7 X-Wing squads. Everything else escaped, though pretty damaged. At the conclusion, five systems joined the Alliance and Luke, Han, and Chewie sabotaged the operational VSD, then the transport, and finally the disabled dreads and VSD. Oh, and the HQ survived just fine.

So what unexpected battles have you won?

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

• 2 weeks later...

That definitely sounds like a tough battle. I don't know how you didn't lose, other than you are definitely smarter than the AI. That must've been one fun battle. I definitely agree with the strategy: get rid of the Ties, then start with the weakest enemy ships and work your way up to the Big Dogs, concentrating all of your firepower on one ship at a time.

The closest I've ever come to such a thing was playing as the Empire with 1 VSD, 1 Dread, 1 Interdictor, 2 Carracks, 2 Carriers with 6 Ties and 6 Tie Bombers. I accidentally caught a Rebel fleet much larger than I anticipated (faulty intel!). Rebel fleet = 1 Interdictor, 1 Dread, 1 Carrier with 2 Y & 4 X-wings, and 10 Corevettes! It was definitely a loooonnnng battle that was swaying back and forth throughout. In the end, I ended up winning with 1 barely functioning Carrack and the Carrier (which apparently the Rebels regarded as useless since it was never attacked). My Dread actually repaired itself during the battle and rejoined the fight, but was soon knocked out again. That took some heat off my Carracks for those few crucial shots that allowed their shields to recharge a bit more than usual. It took awhile to go around to each enemy ship and finish them off; there was just so many of them and I only had those two ships. My fleet was pretty much worthless for the rest of the game after that.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

That is a nasty battle, Tex. I'll bet your poor TIEs went down pretty quickly with all those corvettes, and then it really would be a slow slug fest.

Repair times in Rebellion are terrible. I understand it takes a long time to retrofit, upgrade, and/or repair a large starship. But after battles like what you just described, I get frustrated looking at fleets of damaged ships. You can build 10 times their numbers before they finally repair themselves, even in orbit over shipyards. Although sometimes, I throw them into a battle on the off chance they repair themselves while other ships fight (kind of like your dread did).

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"