Ways to make AI more dangerous?

DarthOminous

Ive been increasingly mad at the "cant assault a planet w/ too many Gen's or troops" deal

I can dig the Sheild strentgh to strong for Bombardment, like in ESB, but you have to be given the option to ground assault, even if the odds are not in your favor. Run out of troops? go get some more and come back!

So I decided to take away Sheild Generators, or at least the ability to build new ones, I did however give the Ai (when he's the Empire) the chance to build a Gen 2 when he researched it on high level!

And had to take away bombarment from almost everything, to be sure.

Now Ion cannons can be used if you decide to let tie bombers or y-wings have that job.

This brought the assault back into the game no matter what! I love it. And If I'm playing the rebellion I also went and gave the empire a little bit cheaper Fleet regiments.

1 I dont mind him having overwhelming access to troop numbers

2 I'm of the opinion he should be able to most of the time take any planet w/ enough work or want.

But that being said I gave the Rebellion "Rangers" as someone had put that card up.

I made them, real cheap and semi ok for assualting, semi decent for defense, because they are more Guerilla type figthing. This means I can at least have someone on planets that support me. Usually I tend to get the planets support diplomatically, Doesnt mean I can protect them against the might of the Imperial army though.

So w/ out a navy strong enough to protect a system or sector , it forces my real building to the outer rim.

Also I used the method by a member here of doubling alot of ship stats so fighters were not so dangerous to capital ships. I'll find the post and link it, cause he had a great idea! Made for as he said faster Battles.

So thats how Ive been playing lately.

Cool. I hadn't thought of taking out shield generators to improve planetary assaults; I'd like to try it though. But I'll probably make generators expensive instead, limiting their use to the most important planets. I always thought a planet-wide shield ought to cost a bit more to build and maintain than the game seemed to imply. I mean, for the cost of a couple dozen starfighters, I can build a shield network to protect an entire planetary body? I just don't buy it.

If you want the AI to be tougher, you could also give him a research bonus. Just edit the minor characters' research abilities for his side. I often give the empire access to TIE Interceptors right from the start as well, which helps balance the Alliance's fighter superiority. Or you can lower the torpedo values on fighters, so they don't breeze through capital ships as soon as the shields drop.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"