If you could talk to the game's developers...

Guest Scathane

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should also be able to capture vessels. Another ability we should have is that to interogate prisoners and get information from them. You know, depending on their stats and/or how many times you interrogate them, the more info you'll get out of them. Another is to be able to execute or release prisoners. I know, the latter sounds funny, suppose you don't want prisoners...I somethimes don't. Lastly, I would like to be able to capture troops and interrogate them, but that is a tad far-fetched. Even so....

Guest Scathane
Anyways, Scath, is this a serious idea you were thinking of actually acting upon, or just a 'what if?'
I'm actually trying to reach people like Michael Mortimer, Hugh Sider, Doug Mogica and Scott Witte...

I haven't traced them yet, however...

Hard people to find they are. Hide from common people like you they do! :P:lol:

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Guest Scathane
The main game developers.

Has anyone asked Lucasarts for the source code, Mask?

I doubt they'll give it... My request to add swrebellion.net to the list of gamesite on the LEC section 'devoted' Rebellion was never answered... :(

If you want, I could write them a letter... :)

I did talk to the people from Lucasarts about Rebellion 2,at Celebration 2 and they just looked through me like I wasn't there.
The force is strong in my family. No, Luke, I am your father.

Guest Scathane

Thanx, Jahled! That's very useful: I've sent him an email.

As for the guy at Celebration 2: that's pretty lame, Bill!

Asfor me... Well, I'm making progress. It's slow going, but moving ahead. I believe I've located Doug Mogica and Hugh Sider (located that is, not actually talked to). Michael Mortimer it seems, went from Coolhand to Frog City Software to Microprose to Sega; I'm checking whether he's still there...

Good good. :) Making progress we are, slowly but surely. :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Guest Scathane

Well here's the answer the dude that Jahled pointed us to emailed me:

Ross,

I a am avid fan of Star Wars Rebellion. A friend of mine directed me towards you online resume. We (swrebellion.net) are looking for the game’s developers because, although the game is relatively old, we still like to play it and edit it to new themes and characters. We have no commercial motives. Your input would be very helpful I’m sure. Would you be willing to do an email interview? Pleas let me know.

Regards,

Scathane

Hi Scathane,

Unfortunately the company went out of business shortly after The Rebellion shipped as you probably know sales were poor and Coolhand Interactive had trouble securing another contract I believe. As for the interview, being an artist on the project and not a huge Starwars fan I'm not sure if I could answer your questions although I'll certainly try!

Thanks for your email,

-Ross

So I guess we should start phrasing some good questions. :D

Sounds like he wasn't really involved enough to answer any of the really interesting questions. Seems like a nice bloke though, even though he doesn't like Star Wars!!! 8O

Ok, well i've had some feedback from Lucasarts, that isn't so bad:

Hello,

The best I can do for you is to pass your feedback on to the developer of the game. Thanks for the feedback.

Jason / LucasArts

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 1:16 PM

To: LucasArts Technical Support

Subject: Re: STAR WARS REBELLION (JS)

Dear Jason,

Thanks for replying dude!

Just a quick question, are you guys planning any further development with

the Rebellion game? Using a tool could Resource Hacker i've been able to see

loads of stuff dormant in the game engine that didn't seem to make it to the

final product. It's just a shame you guys just sort of left the game dead

and unsupported, it could have been such a great titile.

Just food for thought, but if I as the public can't have access to the

game's source code, what's it doing other than rot into cyber oblivion!

Seems a shame really, given some of us out here could do so much with it,

and really love the game!

No bad vibe intended in anything i've said!!!

Jahled

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 7:00 PM

Subject: RE: STAR WARS REBELLION (JS)

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry but this isn't available to the public, James. Sorry about that.

Jason / LucasArts

-----Original Message-----

From: jahled@madasafish.com [mailto:jahled@madasafish.com]

Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 1:44 PM

To: LucasArts Technical Support

Subject: STAR WARS REBELLION

Below is the result of a request for tech help from the web. It was

submitted by Jahled (jahled@madasafish.com) on 6/10/2003 1:43:30 PM

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Congrats, you got farther than I did.

I once mailed this 'Webjedi' guy on LA and asked him, if it would be possible to contact the game's designers, because the savegames are quite ... murky. But until today I haven't received any answer.

This guy was involved in the cinematics, cool. Maybe he could tell us, if the movies always had a common color palette, or if every movie could have its own. Also I'd like to know, if it's somehow possible to include movies with bigger resolutions.

Btw, next week I'll call you all to rehearsals. If you want to lend your voices to one of the movie sequences in the TC, look out for the thread I'll open next week.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Keep your ears SHARP Mask! If someone does come back on this, i'm going to need you to dive in and continue contact on everyone's behalf, given I haven't a clue what i'm actually asking for is! :lol:

Hey guys this is really good, we're finally getting answers. Well, some. :)

Guest Scathane

Well, I'm very pleased (not to say a little proud) that I've established email contact with Hugh Sider, the former programming lead for Coolhand! 8O:D

Hold your horses, though: he has answered my email to ask what's up... I've told him about us, so give it some time...

Guest Scathane

You guys might be interested in what Sider replied to my email:

Hi there,

Am I glad to finally get a hold you! And, no, don't be afraid: you're in the fan section here, so you're not about to get flamed.

The point is that I'm a member of http://www.swrebellion.net: a webcommunity dedicated to Rebellion in particular and Star Wars in general. What happened several years ago, is that a dude called Revolution created an edit tool called RebEd. With this tool, you can access the game and edit the settings. You can also replace the 'character cards' with 'new' ones. I betr you can understand that this keeps the game interesting.

What we've found out, however, is that there is a lot of 'dormant' stuff in the game's dll's. Of course, we're wondering what the purpose of for instance a Millennium Falcon model or Leia screaming "Watch where you point that thing!" might be... Moreover, we're working on a total conversion (don't worry, we don't have commercial motives).

To make a long story short: I was wondering whether you could agree to an email interview. Please let me know. I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time and effort in answering my email.

Kind regards,

Scathane

I can answer some questions, but not all. I signed an NDA with LucasArts, and I take that sort of thing seriously. I'm also currently employed by their competition, which means I have to be very careful not to tread on their rights.

Remember that it's been almost six years since I've seen the code for Rebellion - Coolhand died as a development house right after Rebellion shipped.

I do recall the Leia quote - it was an easter egg that might or might not be in the game - I honestly don't recall. It was meant for when Leia was captured, and later rescued by Han (or maybe Luke). I thought we also had "Get that walking carpet out of my way" for when Chewbacca was involved, but I'm pretty sure that didn't ship.

There is a Luke easter egg, that involves going to Tatooine, but I don't remember the details.

I think the Falcon model easter egg was pulled by Lucas.

Lucas is, quite properly in my mind, very defensive of their rights to the Star Wars universe. A game editor probably isn't going to get you in any trouble, but a complete rewrite, using game assets, could. Lack of commercial motive isn't a protection against copyright infringement, and it _really_ isn't a protection against trademark infringement. Be careful - I'd hate to see a fan of the game lost because of legal wrangling.

I'm glad you enjoy the game, though.

I agree with glandry, thanks to Scath we have actually contacted some of the creators... What should happen next?

Hugh Sider explained his situation regarding the NDA with LucasArts, and Jahled's guy explained us the LA position.

What's next then, dudes?

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

We persist, Trejiuvanat!

If this Source Code is so important to blasteing open the scope and capabilities of Rebellion, opening up all manor of new dimensions and possibilities, as I have been led to believe, we can loose nothing but keep on trying to obtain it through reasoned contact with Lucasarts, I guess.

Scathane's contact did make quite an important point, which is that basically everyone involved in the original project would have signed an agreement with Lucasarts, which basically means, unless we get one exceedingly lucky strike, no one is going to give us anything to deep or detailed!

So we must focus back on Lucasarts, and try and convince them of our genuine love for their game, our desire to continue it's life with our efforts using their source code, and our non-comercial intentions! We're in this for the game we love, not for ego or dollers right guys!

I'm drafting something I intend to send again, with a bit more thought.