Rebellion and Windows Vista 32-bit

lepage71

Has anyone gotten SWR to successfully work with Windows Vista 32-bit? I keep getting "This application has failed to start because d3drm.dll was not found" error after clicking the desktop icon. Any help appreciated. :|

Microsoft has removed the support for Direct Draw Retained Mode from both Vista 32/64 editions. Rebellion requires this mode for operation and the d3drm.dll is required for this functionality. Vista has no implementation of this rendering mode and if present the file should be found within the contents of /windows/system32 and windows/WoW64/system32 on x64 systems. My attempts to transfer d3drm.dll from older versions to Windows to Vista editions was not successful. Easiest way to play may be to download VM Server (free) and install a virtual XP installation from which you can install the game but the downside is that you cannot make it fullscreen as the game executable will force the virtual enviornment window down to its 640x480 resolution which with modern displays and high resolutions is quite annoying.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

I want you to try this. Download the dll from this website and put it in your C:\windows\system32 directory. Try running the game and see if it works. I had only tried x64 edition with no success but it may work on the 32-bit.

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/d3drm.dll/5.1.2600.0/download.html

If it still does not run, try the next step. Open Windows Prompt and enter the command>

REGSVR32 C:\Windows\System32\d3drm.dll

Please report back if you have success with only step 1, or it works after step 2, or does not work after both steps.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

So does that mean you have Vista32 and my solution worked? I have no idea if that actually works or not so you will have to let me know. Don't admire me just yet... a little feedback first. :wink:

i was able to start the game, although i didnt really do anything. the dude was giving his whole the thing on the state of the galaxy and i couldnt skip it, but it gets into the game... ill post later if it is actually playable (which im sure it is)

by the way, i had no need to register the dll file...

thanks!

good to know... now I just need to figure a way to get x64 to work because I've tried a similar method with it but all I would get is a black screen and nothing else.

Yes, my attempts were using the XP x64 file versions WOW64/system32/d3drm.dll copied over to same directory of Vista x64 and the windows/system32/d3drm.dll copied over to same directory of Vista x64. In my attempts the game would bring up a black screen and fail to render any graphics. If you have both versions of XP x64 and Vista x64 play around with them and see if you have any luck with it.

Thanks, that seems to work. However, I also cannot skip over the C-3PO / Imperial Droid speech at the beginning of games. I haven't played deep into a game, but from my casual glance, everything except that appears normal.

This was a known issue of running Rebellion under Windows 2000 environment in which the user could not click on the game screen to skip the droid introduction. This condition currently exist when operating the game under WINE in linux or bsd as well. I could theorize why this occurs but I don't have any real answers.

Update: Added some pages to the SW Rebellion Wiki - Please discuss your problems or changes to posted solutions to the original forum thread. Refinement of the wiki documentation will be updated as deemed necessary.

http://www.swrebellion.com/rebedwiki/index.php/Windows_XP_x64

http://www.swrebellion.com/rebedwiki/index.php/Windows_Vista

http://www.swrebellion.com/rebedwiki/index.php/Wine_on_Linux_or_BSD

Graphical rendering problems or random crashes (ie. rebexe.exe has caused an invalid page fault... or something to the effect). Rebexe.exe crashes are a known problem across all operating systems. LucasArts knew of the problem when the game was released but didn't give a crap enough to devote resources to patching the problem.

Sure... recover the source code for the original executable and find someone with direct draw programming knowledge and we'll slap one together.

Plan A: Go dumpster diving behind LEC headquarters... they should be tossing out all records of the game pretty soon if they haven't already.

Plan B: Mob of hired goons with AK-47's and C4 take LEC offices and hostages. We shoot one hostage to show were serious and have the manager login with root or admin priviledges unto the network server. Knowing you may not be able to get past the assembled S.W.A.T. team now hovering around the building you don't bother putting it on cd or dvd burner. Instead, I will be sitting at home with an FTP server up and running. You will upload the contents to me and I will put them on P2P network. You will praise Allah and with your mission accomplish will focus on your 40 virgins. Plant the C4 and wait for the S.W.A.T. team to rescue the hostages, then blow the place to hell. Die Infidels!, Al la la la la... :twisted:

Plan C: Call in an anonymous tip to CTU Los Angeles that terrorists are working out the LEC offices and that nuclear schematics are stored on the company server. Jack Bauer will be sent retrieve it and have Cloe decrypt it.

Plan A: Go dumpster diving behind LEC headquarters... they should be tossing out all records of the game pretty soon if they haven't already.

Plan B: Mob of hired goons with AK-47's and C4 take LEC offices and hostages. We shoot one hostage to show were serious and have the manager login with root or admin priviledges unto the network server. Knowing you may not be able to get past the assembled S.W.A.T. team now hovering around the building you don't bother putting it on cd or dvd burner. Instead, I will be sitting at home with an FTP server up and running. You will upload the contents to me and I will put them on P2P network. You will praise Allah and with your mission accomplish will focus on your 40 virgins. Plant the C4 and wait for the S.W.A.T. team to rescue the hostages, then blow the place to hell. Die Infidels!, Al la la la la... :twisted:

Plan C: Call in an anonymous tip to CTU Los Angeles that terrorists are working out the LEC offices and that nuclear schematics are stored on the company server. Jack Bauer will be sent retrieve it and have Cloe decrypt it.

I will go with Plan D.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

I will go with Plan D.

Usually when you pick an option not offered you tell the audience/person-offering-the-options what the additional option you chose is :wink: (i.e. Wait 'til Hell freezes over and suddenly GL feels generous and provides free source code to all of the "older" games, as long as nobody makes a profit off of them). See?

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Dear LucasArts Employee,

I offer you ONE sandwich in return for the Star Wars Rebellion source code.

For every minute you do not give me the code, I shall take a bite.

You have be warned ... and I've already started eating, so hurry up.

Yours sincerely,

-Hungry nerd guy

Edited by Krytos

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

• SWR Staff - Executive

Spellcheck

bight -> bite

:)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Spellcheck

bight -> bite

:)

:oops: BEAKed :oops:

... oh, and the sandwich is gone. I don't believe in empty threats :wink:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif