Rebellion on Windows 7 x64 bit

zorro45

Hello,

I've been trying to get Star Wars Rebellion to work on Windows 7 64 bit. I've had no success. I followed a link to the file "Rebellion Refreshed and Reloaded Ultimate Package (x86/x64)" but the link is dead. I checked the wiki but could only find an entry for Vista. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, that was what I was looking for. Sadly I couldn't get it to work. I was following this:

I'm playing Rebellion (or in my case Supremacy) on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit RTM with no problems (and not using XP mode).

What I did is as follows:

1. Copy everything from INSIDE the Rebellion (or Supremacy) folder on the CD to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion"

Important: Do not copy the Rebellion folder itself, copy everything inside it. You will need to create the 'LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion' folders yourself. Make sure they are spelled correctly.

2. Download the file in the first post at: http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postt3937.html

3. Extract the downloaded file.

3. Right click the Rebellion_x64.reg file and click merge. (If your program files is on a different drive you'll need to edit this reg file)

4. Copy the files d3drm.dll and REBEXE.exe to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion"

5. Create a folder called "SaveGame"

6. Run the game (REBEXE.exe) as an administrator.

Everything worked for me first time. I have the problem where I can't skip the briefing but the space battles seem to work fine.

Note that I've only played the game for a few minutes before posting this so I may run into problems later.

It was from this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27606

Virtual machine. You have a computer (hardware), and on that computer you install an operating system (OS). In your case, Windows 7 x64. You can then create a virtual environment, and in that environment you install another operating system- in this case, Windows XP, Windows 2000, or some older version of Windows. Then you install the game into the virtual operating system.

Like a box inside of a box. Rebellion works best in an old box, so you put the old box inside of your nice, big, new box. Then you put Rebellion inside the old box. This old box is a virtual machine. It is great for security- anything in the old box stays there, and cannot get out and into the bigger box. But it also works for old games designed for an OS you no longer use regularly.

There are several different programs you can use to accomplish all of this. VirtualBox and VMware Player are the two most popular free programs. I recommend VMware Player. To set this all up, install one of those two programs. Then use it to create a VM. When you do, it will ask what OS you are going to put on it. Dust off an old copy of Windows you haven't used in awhile, pop in the CD and install it on the newly-created VM. Then you can install Rebellion on the VM, using the old version of Windows.

It sounds pretty complicated until you do it once, then it isn't so bad. There are dozens of step-by-step tutorials floating around; pick a program, look up a tutorial, and you should do fine. Unless you don't have an old version of Windows sitting around. Then you have to go buy one, but they are cheap on Ebay or other places.

A word of caution: because you are using an old version of Windows in the VM, do not log in to online banking or other web services from the VM. The older versions of Windows are susceptible to hackers and viruses. If you lose the VM to a hacker, you just wipe it clean and start over (aka replace the old box with an identical old box), perhaps losing your saved game or something. But if you do online banking from the VM, and they hack your bank account... you see the problem. Because nothing in the VM, not even a hacker, can get out of the VM and into your normal Windows 7, anything there is just as safe, regardless of whether you have a VM or not.

Hopefully that all makes sense. I assume something doesn't; feel free to ask questions, and I will answer.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

• 2 months later...