Can't get my Star Wars to work with my new computer

bryguy

Hi everyone,

I bought a new computer a few months ago, finally going to Windows 7Ultimate -64 bit. As most of you will guess...Rebellion doesn't work with Win 7 64-bit. When installing the .exe file, it says the 32-bit software doesn't work on 64-bit.

Well, I downloaded and installed XP mode to simulate the environment of XP, where Rebellion did play. Once in XP mode, the game installed without issues.

The following is what I've found while trying to play the game......please note I have my computer connected to my TV via VGA connection.

The game worked, although the game was showing only in a tiny corner of the TV. I remembered the game has to use a low resolution to fit in the entire screen. The lowest resolution I had with this new computer was 800x600 which I set it to. It adjusted the game to fit mostly in the screen, although I think 640x480 is the ideal resolution.

That said, I could live with the 800x600.

I played the game, everything appeared to function and I sent a ship to an Imperial planet to simulate the battle. Once the game attempted to enter the 3D model, all the trouble started. My desktop re-appeared while the game was running in the back ground, and a host of error dialogue boxes prompted, indicating something along the lines of "Pixels not formatted".

In summary, I got the game to work, albeit not covering the entire display (TV) but close enough to where it's satisfactory. But, I can't enter the battle mode.

I know there are people who are playing this game without the issues described above. I'm simply out of ideas. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully I can get on here and have some old fashioned Rebexe games in the near future.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobis, you're my only hope!

You must put in manually a downloaded file called "d3drm.dll". It is for 3D stuff for old DirectX that does not come with the game or on your newer software. Place it in the same folder as your reb.exe.

I am using W7 Ultimate 64 bit. I am using a repaired compatible version of reb.exe that came with the mod 1.5 off this site and used in the Rebellion Reloaded Mod that takes care of the CD not found in the proper location stuff not found and proper environment stuff so that I only had to use it plus the d3drm.dll file alone and it all works fine from the start. Copy all files off the CD to that one folder.

So tell me if it works. Or if you have trouble.

1). Copy all content off CD to a folder (lets call it Rebellion98). Do not install.

2). Download off net the DX file d3drm.dll and place that into that folder.

3) Create a folder named "Savegame" inside of that folder Rebellion98.

3) must use the fixed compatible reb.exe from the Rebellion Mod or PM for it and place it in that folder.

4) should launch and run fine in full screen. Battles work also. 8)

http://www.4shared.com/archive/cxJ7NcAv/_Rebellion15_Mod_Betav2.html link for the two file are in here. d3drm.dll and the compatible reb.exe.

This is great news! Thank you very much Slocket, really appreciate the help and the instructions. I'm very glad I found this website of community.

I'm going to send you a PM with a few additional questions, pertaining to the mods. I'm not very familiar with the mods.

Again, I'm so excited thank you!!!

HI guys, thanks again for the help with this. I tried PMing you Slocket, but my outbox says nothing sent...so I'll ask my questions about mods here.

Well, I have followed the instructions above, and can report that Operation Rebellion Install is a success :!:

I tested the game, 3D battle, and saved all successfully :D

So I ran the Rebexe.exe from the "rebrefresher 2.0" file I downloaded from the link provided above. I did not use the original Rebexe.exe file from the game CDROM.

Is there a difference? What exactly is mod 1.5?

Thanks again Slocket, this is great. I'm going to be starting a game tomorrow I think....and practice up for the big boys lol.

Gentlemen, lock away your deathstar plans, Luke and the boys are on the way :!:

I run Windows Vista... would following the instructions posted above also work for me? I'd much rather play Rebellion on my new laptop than my extremely old and slow laptop.

Thanks for the help!