Starting / early-game strategies? + some basics question

asdfff

Finally, after all these years, I got some time to play Rebellion. Ironically I was inspired to come back after setting aside some time for Empire at War. Game-knowledge wise I'm still mostly a newbie, unfortunately.

Question: What are your starting strategies? (rebels)

As far as I can tell you can't build construction depots from nothing, so I have my (usually 2) construction depots make 1 each, and then have 1 made and delivered to Yavin where the research-capable people are being recruited.

I have everyone recruiting none-stop the whole time until I get all 30. Should I be moving them before I do? Because unless Yavin or Mon Mathma's base start with construction depots all the research people are being wasted.

Also, do characters travel faster if they're with a starship instead of by themselves?

Finally, if by some unfortunate coincidence the empire takes out the 2-3 construction yards rebels start out with, how do they get more? Just scout out neutral planets until one with construction yards are found, then do diplomacy?

I haven't played long enough to have to worry about mines/refineries yet.

OK, some quick things first as the Rebels: get all characters off Yavin ASAP (use Han, he gets 50% faster travel - characters only). Not all of the time, but occasionally, the Empire comes to Yavin, bombards everything and tries to capture anyone there. So, why wait for them; just move. It's not worth guessing wrong.

I look for neutral systems with the most construction yards, shipyards and training facilities and send Leia there to do diplomacy (or any other diplomats). I always use Leia for diplomacy, Mon Mothma for recruiting, Luke/Han for a combination of espionage/sabotage/recruiting. When recruiting is complete Mon Mothma can do diplomacy (but keep her safe).

Characters travel fastest with Han (sometimes I just use him as a glorified taxi cab), then by ship (check ship speed, some are faster than others), and lastly by themselves.

If by some unfortunate chance you lose all of your construction yards, you have a couple of choices: 1) take some from the Empire (assault their systems), 2) use diplomacy on a neutral system to get access to theirs, or 3) lose the game.

Good Luck!

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Another good rebel strategy is to look for planets that support the alliance but happen to be Imperial controlled due to the presence of Imperial troops. There is always at least one of these situations. You can tell because it's green, the Imperial color, but the star is bright, meaning the population supports you.

Anyway, once you found it, have your characters sabotage the troops stationed there until all of them are destroyed. When no Imperial troops remain, the planet will switch sides to your control, and many others in the system may be inspired to do so too.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I have another question about effective defense: how do you do defense? Unlike in Empire at War (or Risk), every planet is accessible from every other planet. The empire can easily strike at the weakest planet they find. Post a fleet + troops at every system? That seems impractical for the rebels.

It is impractical for either side to maintain the large fleet you describe. One of the best ways to me is to do numerous espionage missions on the planets in a given sector repeatedly. That way you will see the enemy coming and hopefully can send an adequate fleet of your own to respond in time.

It is impractical for either side to maintain the large fleet you describe. One of the best ways to me is to do numerous espionage missions on the planets in a given sector repeatedly. That way you will see the enemy coming and hopefully can send an adequate fleet of your own to respond in time.

and that makes the game so much better. :) You must use espionage and diplomacy to its full advantage, or risk losing planets.

So many new games just leave out espionage to make it easy.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I have another question about effective defense: how do you do defense? Unlike in Empire at War (or Risk), every planet is accessible from every other planet. The empire can easily strike at the weakest planet they find. Post a fleet + troops at every system? That seems impractical for the rebels.

You can't defend every planet like Fort Knox; just do the ones where you have your best facilities (lots of construction yards, training facilities, and shipyards). Give those planets lots of ground fighter support (bomber & fighter mix), a defensive fleet, lots of troops, and spy on your own planet (to spot enemy missions and incoming enemy fleets).

Your best defense in the game ... is the "AI"; it's totally worthless, my coffee maker could probably beat it. Unfortunately, the game AI is not "smart" enough to exploit your weaknesses. Occasionally it "obsesses" over some planet, constantly sending missions, ships, etc., trying to harass and capture that one planet, even if it's totally worthless; but I digress. One Gen Core or Planetary battery will dissuade most raiding fleets. If they stay, it's because they want the planet.

Good Luck.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 7 months later...

Trying to protect every planet with individual fleets is suicide, even the AI will wipe you out if you try, and a human opponent will crush you and grind your bones to dustbunnies. :mrgreen:

My standard defense is basically:

Most planets are completely undefended, if i´m "rich" or the planet is valuable, it gets some Tie squadrons to deter raiding.

Clearly valuable or important planets that are not primary objectives gets several fighter squadrons, an antiship laser and some "spyhunter" troop regiments.

Primaries gets as above but also 2 Shield structures and more squadrons and troops overall.

Sector bases gets the same as primary objectives, sometimes with an Ion cannon or 2nd laser added, often with a general added and the sector fleet, often with an admiral included. And this is where all the troops hang out(if im building troops at all that is...).

Reasons:

On unimportant planets, there´s no reason to defend, because if the enemy destroys the troops(or ships) there is a clear risk that the rest of the sector popularity will swing in their direction.

Better to let them land troops on an undefended world, kill their fleet with your sector fleet then either retake the world with complete superiority or kill their troops with bombardment.

I always build lasers first rather than shields on planets because with enough troops in support to deter landings with minor troop contingents, the alternative is bombardment, and the lasers can do quite a lot of damage regardless if it and the troops survives or not, and there is always a chance that civilian buildings are hit which gives your popularity in the sector a boost, while the shields can always be overcome by sheer numbers and needs to use 2 planet slots to be fully effective and will never kill a starship(giving you extra popularity sectorwide) nor disable its hyperdrive(leaving the ship or fleet in place until you get there and kill it with your sector fleet)...

I rarely use troops for combat, for me they are there first of all to defend against and capture spies and characters. All or most of the offensive/defensive troops goes on the sector fleet.

Before you have Interdictors, you can let enemy keep 2 nearby planets they take in a sector, then have your sector fleet continually chase them between those two planets, even though they escape every time, as long as you pick automatic battle, they will take some damage and if you keep it going long enough they will start taking critical damage eventually. If you need the sector fleet elsewhere, just retake the next planet you come to and then chase after them and force them to flee to another sector.