Rebellion: Reloaded

Jahled

Ok. As you may have gathered (the subject was touched upon recently), the Rebellion-Reloaded project has made slow, but steady progress for some time. This hasn't been helped by the ebb and flux of people working on it... but that's online-life! However, the overwelming desire from thoughs who've been onboard since day one is to complete this baby; and do it in style!

The original idea was to completely redesign the game from the moment you get past that Star Wars logo sailing away into the distance; not just a total conversion but a complete make over of the game's construction as you see it on your monitor.

To this end the project team require some new members with proven talents in image-software, to help speed things up a little. A thorough understanding of resource hacker is essential. We are thinking along the lines of 3-5 new members who can help us complete the project quickly and efficiently.

The_Mask could also do with a hand reworking the movies and a few remaining areas with the tactical game's models. Given that is not an area I am talented in, please contact him him privately if you think you could help.

Whilst there are a few remaining cards to be done; we are not recruiting exclusively for that area! It is the remaining ingame DLLs and GUI that need replacing. (obviously, once you've got your feet through the door, you're one of the team, and welcome to suggest and contribute upon any aspect...)

Cool. So if you want to lend a hand do something first. Open up Resource Hacker and ask yourself if you can stay the course. If you say to your self 'woo i'm good,' drop me a line with some examples of why your hot, and 'the board' will mumble and mutter about your cv.. :lol:

jahled@madasafish.com

And you'll have access to the members area quicker than Harry Potter can wave his wand and survive my driving :lol:

Also, we are going to need the vocal talents of a few people to voice some things you hear in the game. If you think you can complete an entire character set from the game, again let us know.

We'll release a complete list of our exact requirements very shortly on this front.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Reloaded team.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would one need to do a voice set? Thats the only part I would be able to help with.
I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

What would one need to do a voice set? Thats the only part I would be able to help with.

Well, there's two elements. First there's the obvious need to replace the major characters who say things ingame. There's also the replacements for C3P0 and his Imperial counterpart (big roles in other words!), and our two tactical mode friends; though I reckon it's here we can really go to town and make the audio side of the tactical battle really fun by having multiple people announcing stuff during a battle; green group, red group, flett 5, etc....asuming we get enough hands raised in the air.

The latter couldn't be simpler; just follow the lines you hear ingame and viewable with resource hacker. How cool are tactical battles go to be with a multitude of different people announcing their status! :P

The second element are the voices you hear ingame in the movies. We've already produced two; which rock. But this element is more at the mercy of as and when the movies are completed, so if you sign up for the above you'll be asked to produce a line here and there; you know a Stormtrooper gurgling type of thing.

A mic, a PC, and the ability to speak are the only requirements.

Forward examples of how you sound to me at my email address. (non-broadband at home...be nice!) and we'll work out where we can utilize you... :)

Guest Admiral_Antilles
Hey Jahled, if you want I will do one of the Squadron Voices in tactical (Red, Green, Blue, or whatever...) I doubt my voice fits any main characters, but I can surely do one of those. :wink:

Cool double AA. :wink:

Right folks; open up resource hacker.

For the tactical battle our sounds are in the voicefxa and voicefxe files. It's pretty obvious what we're replacing. Pretty easy as well. Soo...

let's raise some arms please. It would be nice to have some girls in this lot as well, so please get your girlfriends and wives on the case.

Once we've got a good handfull I shall asign you to your respective 'wings' and 'fleets'.

To kick it off i'll asign myself to the Imperial Red squadron and err.... an alliance fleet group....err... three (for example...***disgusted with self***)

I'll record some lines at try and figure out a way of hosting them to post here as examples later on today...JUST TO DEMONSTRATE HOW SIMPLE the process is! But I need some breakfast first. Stay tuned...

I also could do some voice work. I have a very deep bass; not James Earl Jonesish (I only wish my voice was like that), more like Caiphas from the movie "Jesus Christ Superstar".
Put an overpowered Solar Ionization Reactor in between two cheap-ass engines and a couple of laser cannon, put a chair with a rudimentary flight control and targeting computer on top, and surround the (unpressurized!) pilot with enough armor plate so he doesn't fry in a tenth of a second... riiiiiiiiight

Cool! Good to see some response at last!

But hold ya horses fellas. I need to try and organize this, so the first thing I need each of you to do is email at home. Email address above somewhere. (and remember to point out what your tag is here on the forums...) When i've got a working crew together I shall assign you your lines. Be in a day or three I guess to give all the feedback time to filter in.

Thisis an example.

I've got work sheets as well. f you want to send me an example of how you sound please feel free to do so. (but be gentle with me home non-broadband ancient connection. :)

Stay tuned. Just imagine the fame..the glory...

...anyone else? Need a girl or two!

:arrow: Teukros

:arrow: Mad78

:arrow: Admiral Fish face

email me pronto:

jahled@madasafish.com

...I want to get you guys moving. 8)

I'm more than willing to do whatever voicesets still need done. Moreover, I can do any sound engineering we want done; I do composition and sound design, so I'm already pretty well set up to handle it.

Plus, I can throw in on the whatever else needs done still; I can handle the graphics and dll mods.

"I...I don't believe it!"

"THAT is why you fail."

Sorry for not posting earlier. I'm alright with computer graphics - I can do some 3D modelling (mainly high detail, hav'nt tried optimised game graphics) and use photoshop. So, any help needed there, I'll do what I can.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

I haven't dug into Res Hacker to find out, but can the in-game music be changed, and if so, has anyone put any thought/work into that?

I have two thoughts on that, if it's possible without the source code:

Option #1: Replace with different John Williams cuts, to give everything a fresh feel. I have the full set of everything he did for Lucas, so finding apropriate cuts and getting them mixed down into a .wav wouldn't be hard at all.

Option #2: Compose something original. That's nowhere near as difficult as it sounds; the loops the game uses aren't long at all, and writing something Williams-esque, but still unique to the project, wouldn't be at all tough.

"THAT is why you fail."

True, writing the music isn't difficult, but having an orchestra play it, well, that might be :wink: . You could use MIDI, but that would give it a NES feel.

I don't think it is possible, or rather, we don't know how, to change the music. You could create the music and simply allow peolpe to download it in .mp3 format, but that would be a big download.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Getting an orchestra to play it IS tough...unless you already do composition and have one of the high-end orchestral soundfonts. I dropped a grand on the gigafont Orchestral Strings from Sonic Implants; they used the Boston Pops to get good (I mean REALLY good) samples.

So, it could be done without resorting to a GM MIDI bank. The question is if it's something that can be added or not.

"THAT is why you fail."

Not entirely sure how this got onto orchestral scores, but:

:arrow: captain_brandei. I have sent you more stuff. I need a qualified response. IE: yeah or ney.

:arrow: Everybody else. I'm trying to keep this thread as 'live' as possible. If it's more general reloaded conversation I believe there's a newish thread a few lines below us.

I want to accomplish this particular aspect of the TC as quickly as possible and not be bugged down behind conversations about broken power cables or us suggesting to John Williams he might want to shave... :)

and yeah, you can't change the background music.
Hi, wanna bet ? :lol:

The music files are wav files and start at MDATA.300. With my movie patch, link's under the www button in this post, you can replace them with anything, that you like. I also have an older version of the Smacker tools on my site, that lets you replace the movies (tutorial included). :wink:

EDIT: Ok, I just wanted to add something, that is really important to me. Since I'm behind a slow (28k with 56k modem, dunno why either) dial-up connection I beg you all to compress your sound files, before sending them. I can decode almost anything (asf could be a problem, but who's using it anyway ?) back later, so that's not the problem.

You can use whatever program, that you're comfortable with to convert them to mp3s for example, like Cool Edit, Tmpeg, AudioCatalyst, ... , basically a 128kb mp3 would work perfectly.

If you don't have one of said programs, you can download Lame encoder 3.92 and the easy to use GUI Enlamer for this purpose.

Thanks, guys :D

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif